Christmas Lights in London December 2020
762 21 2020-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EdH
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hope everyone is keeping well.  UK's second lockdown was lifted on the 2nd December, so we made an impromptu visit to central London for some food and shopping on the Sunday, 6th December 2020.

This whole video was all shot on Dji Pocket 2 on battery saver mode with noise reduction applied during post-possessing as I found that high quality mode introduced some smearing of details especially low light shots. I've also found out two annoying issues. The USB-C adapter storage design needs improvement as I lost it during this trip Secondly, I was actually having problem with the record button. Sometimes, I have to press several times to engage the function.  Having said that, I found this Pocket 2 to be very good as it's small and discreet so most people didn't even realised I was recording which are evident in the videos.   

2020-12-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice video!
2020-12-13
Use props
EdH
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks as usual! Annoyed that I lost the adapter though
2020-12-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

EdH Posted at 12-13 09:54

You're welcome.
I have heard more complaints about the design of the case.
2020-12-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there EdH. Thank you for posting this beautiful video you have filmed using your DJI Pocket 2 for sharing your experience in filming this video. I am sorry to know that you have lost the said adapter. Again, great work and thank you.
2020-12-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done.    
2020-12-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Thank you for this and saying how it was recorded.
Can I ask what you used for noise reduction as you did a superb job. The sound is good too. I take it all recorded with the inboard mics?
I hadn't dared go into London for this Christmas but do notice a general lack of footfall for this time of year.  Also as a social document  I found it interesting on the behaviour of those wearing face masks to those not wearing them and their interactions with each other. Really neat video, I really enjoyed watching.

Ray.
2020-12-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nicely done.
2020-12-14
Use props
EdH
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-14 04:56
Thank you for this and saying how it was recorded.
Can I ask what you used for noise reduction as you did a superb job. The sound is good too. I take it all recorded with the inboard mics?
I hadn't dared go into London for this Christmas but do notice a general lack of footfall for this time of year.  Also as a social document  I found it interesting on the behaviour of those wearing face masks to those not wearing them and their interactions with each other. Really neat video, I really enjoyed watching.

Thanks and good to hear that the NR is working. Anyway I used Neat Video plugin on PP. It's hands down the best NR ever. As for the sound, it's all on board mic set to record surround, i.e. pick up from all 4 mics. I did have to do some creative masking as some of the clips recorded our conversation.

If I'm honest, the pedestrian footfall was obviously not as many as previous years but still more than what I would be comfortable with. I visited central after the first lockdown and that was eerily quiet!
2020-12-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

EdH Posted at 12-15 05:06
Thanks and good to hear that the NR is working. Anyway I used Neat Video plugin on PP. It's hands down the best NR ever. As for the sound, it's all on board mic set to record surround, i.e. pick up from all 4 mics. I did have to do some creative masking as some of the clips recorded our conversation.

If I'm honest, the pedestrian footfall was obviously not as many as previous years but still more than what I would be comfortable with. I visited central after the first lockdown and that was eerily quiet!

Thanks for the information. I thought it must be Neat Video. Keep meaning to buy a copy. Very impressive.
When you say surround you mean using all four mics rather than four discrete audio channels? I monitor through speakers but would imagine with headphones would sound almost binaural.

I understand about the crowds. My son has to go to his head London office now and then and hates it. He says people are being stupid with their lack of precautions in some areas.

Ray.
2020-12-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nice work.  I too have had problems with accessories dropping out of the sleeve of the P2 - particularly the magnetic lens attachment. Reported in my thread " A word of warning"
2020-12-15
Use props
EdH
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-15 08:51
Thanks for the information. I thought it must be Neat Video. Keep meaning to buy a copy. Very impressive.
When you say surround you mean using all four mics rather than four discrete audio channels? I monitor through speakers but would imagine with headphones would sound almost binaural.

Yes. It's the all direction setting under the mic with the wind reduction on. I think it's a huge improvement over the 1st gen but after owning it for over a month. I'm slowly discovering its irks such as the sticky record button. If this continues, I might have to get it replace and hope this is isolated.
2020-12-16
Use props
EdH
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 12-15 15:27
Very nice work.  I too have had problems with accessories dropping out of the sleeve of the P2 - particularly the magnetic lens attachment. Reported in my thread " A word of warning"

Thanks. I saw that but luckily I don't have the creator combo as I think it's wide enough when coming from 1st gen. I'm think the all in one handle is useful but I'm seeing a lot of overheating being mentioned.
2020-12-16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EdH Posted at 12-16 02:15
Thanks. I saw that but luckily I don't have the creator combo as I think it's wide enough when coming from 1st gen. I'm think the all in one handle is useful but I'm seeing a lot of overheating being mentioned.

It can get very warm (handy in winter perhaps!) but I wouldn't say hot - even after quite a while of use.  I've not found that to be a problem so far...
2020-12-16
Use props
EdH
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 12-16 02:20
It can get very warm (handy in winter perhaps!) but I wouldn't say hot - even after quite a while of use.  I've not found that to be a problem so far...

Hahaha. I agreed it will be a great hand warmer.

Anyway that's reassuring to hear you don't see it as a problem.
2020-12-16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EdH Posted at 12-16 02:25
Hahaha. I agreed it will be a great hand warmer.

Anyway that's reassuring to hear you don't see it as a problem.

Well DJI do document the fact in their online information about the P2. Shooting for long periods at the maximum capabilities of the gadget is bound to work it hard and it should be no surprise that this will generate some heat. The shoulder of the gimbal support is a heat sink, where you're unlikely to hold the device, so heat dissipation should be OK.
2020-12-16
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

EdH Posted at 12-13 09:54

Do you still need the adapter ?   After losing /getting my first pocket stolen I have a spare Usb C your welcome to. Just let me your address and will drop it in the post.
2020-12-16
Use props
EdH
lvl.3
United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 12-16 07:12
Do you still need the adapter ?   After losing /getting my first pocket stolen I have a spare Usb C your welcome to. Just let me your address and will drop it in the post.

Sorry to hear your unit got stolen. Are you planning to get the V2 as replacement?

Also thanks very much for your kind offer but I've already bought one. Appreciate your gesture.

2020-12-16
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Excellent.  As a Londoner banished to Australia for the last 20 years, it was good to revisit old haunts!  The West End looks mostly much the same as ever, but in videos showing the riverside, I sometimes wonder which city is being shown, as so much has changed there.

I am fighting the temptation to rabbit on about the sound yet again.  I really think DJI has done a stunning job with the audio of this camera, and with the provision of all the audio options ypu get from the addition of the handle accessory.  Through expensive headphones, the precision of the surround sound is remarkable, and the extremes of low and high frequencies are all there.  Credit to DJI for realising that sound is important as well as video!  Particularly for this kind of location documentary.   I'm surprised that you say wind noise reduction was on, as usually this inevitably gives a bit of a processed sound, kind of underwater, but I heard nothing of the sort.  Perhaps there wasn't much wind anyway so it didn't have to work very hard and thus reveal its operation.

One comment, if you don't mind - personally I would have cross-faded the audio at the edits a bit more - the incoming clip's audio kind of jumps in each time.
2020-12-16
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

EdH Posted at 12-16 14:11
Sorry to hear your unit got stolen. Are you planning to get the V2 as replacement?

Also thanks very much for your kind offer but I've already bought one. Appreciate your gesture.

I did replace the osmo pocket shortly after.  Am trying to fight the urge for the OP2, but must admit the footage I’m seeing with the wider angle and improved image quality is winning me over.

This London night footage you’ve done is also particularly good, can I ask - was the raw footage much noisier, ie did the neat plugin make a significant difference ?
2020-12-17
Use props
EdH
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-16 17:17
Excellent.  As a Londoner banished to Australia for the last 20 years, it was good to revisit old haunts!  The West End looks mostly much the same as ever, but in videos showing the riverside, I sometimes wonder which city is being shown, as so much has changed there.

I am fighting the temptation to rabbit on about the sound yet again.  I really think DJI has done a stunning job with the audio of this camera, and with the provision of all the audio options ypu get from the addition of the handle accessory.  Through expensive headphones, the precision of the surround sound is remarkable, and the extremes of low and high frequencies are all there.  Credit to DJI for realising that sound is important as well as video!  Particularly for this kind of location documentary.   I'm surprised that you say wind noise reduction was on, as usually this inevitably gives a bit of a processed sound, kind of underwater, but I heard nothing of the sort.  Perhaps there wasn't much wind anyway so it didn't have to work very hard and thus reveal its operation.

Thanks for your comments.

I didn't edit this on a headphone, just on small bose stereo speakers so didn't notice the surround effect But I concurred that the sound improvement is massive over the 1st gen.

As for fading the volume between cuts, I think I did but it must have been too subtle. I will bear that in mind.
2020-12-17
Use props
EdH
lvl.3
United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 12-17 03:11
I did replace the osmo pocket shortly after.  Am trying to fight the urge for the OP2, but must admit the footage I’m seeing with the wider angle and improved image quality is winning me over.

This London night footage you’ve done is also particularly good, can I ask - was the raw footage much noisier, ie did the neat plugin make a significant difference ?

The Neat Video plugin is THE plugin for any high iso videos. I will be releasing another video soon where I used a Nikon Z6 to record the Aurora on reindeer sledge. It's done an amazing job considering the extremely high iso.

Went off topic there but to answer your question, the raw footage is quite noisy but the good thing is that it retains more details than high performance mode. IMO if you don't need it now, I would wait a while to see what's in the pipeline for the firmware update before buying it again. But as it stands right now, it's still a very good inconspicuous vlogging/street video camera.
2020-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules