Repair Cost and Time
2903 10 2015-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Woni30
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3103881 ft
United States

My Inspire 1 just crashed from the sky attacked by seagulls.
I wanted to test the new iOS app and everything went perfectly fine.
I didn't see anyting wrong until I was about to land.

I saw 2 seagulls approaching and tried to attack my I1. I was able to avoid them a couple of times but finally one of them hit one of the props.
My I1 free fell from the sky. 1 arm, camera/gimbal completely damaged, battery connector and battery slot has some damge, 1 motor is gone. I did not power up so I don't know if the other 3 motors have been damaged or not.

I know some people have done this but I would like to start new thread for repair cost and turn around time for June or July.

- Crashed by Seagulls.
- Contacted DJI, received UPS shipping label

- dropped off the Inspire at the UPS store.
- Shipped, I1, T47 battery, Remote as they requested.
*Update
- DJI received the unit

- the unit was check-in

Been told that DJI Repair Center has moved to a new place
Hope this doesn't affect to turn around time as it's 5-6 wks turn around already.

I will keep updating the status. But I probably won't be able to update anyting for at least 7 - 10 days as I've been told.

A guy from FB posted that it was his fault (he admitted to DJI and willing to pay whatever DJI says, water damaged, couldn't be repaired) but he got a brand new (that's what he said maybe refurbished) inspire 1 for free. I would not expect this but I hope the cost of repair is within acceptable range.

So those of you don't ask for shipping label, please do ask otherwise they don't offer you.
I had to call them again for the shipping label.

** Update

9.01.15 Received an invoice of $399 and paid on the same day
9.01.15 DJI confirmed the payment on the same day

camera bottom cover component    1 x $8 = $8
camera top cover component         1 x $13 = $13
camera ND filter ring kit v2            1 x $16 = $16
Yaw arm+roll base                        1 x $26 = $26
Roll arm + PITCH base                  1 x $25 = $25
Landing gear kit                           3 x $15 = $45
left arm component                      1 x $131 = $131
gimbal damper plate 2                  1 x $5 = $5
Repair service                              2 x $65/hr = $130

I know that camera/gimbal and one motor were completely smashed.
Looks like these are repaired under warranty.
Otherwise, it would have been a lot more expensive.

I am happy with what I paid but not so happy with turn around time.
At least they confirmed the payment within an hour and I was bit surprised.
Hope they fix mine this week and ship it out this week to receive by next week.

*** Final(hopefully) Update

9/3/15 Got an email saying my i1 was repaired and has been updated.
9/3/15 Shortly after the above email probably less than an hour, got the tracking number.

It's exactly 8wks after my i1 was checked in.
Since I live in CA, I hope I get mine back by next Monday (9/7/15)

Representative over the phone:
I think these people are very nice and try to help but they are not given any info of process of repair which sucks. I personally think that these representatives should know what is going on but they know almost nothing and they just repeat the samething over and over again. But again, they are very nice.

Repair Center:
I saw several people who sent their i1 to the repair center recently and they got pretty quick turn around. Less than a week even. I hope this becomes norm. In the mean time, DJI should have offered something to the customers who waited too long.

Lastly...
I know some of you got the new units and very selectively DJI didn't charge a penny for some customers but I think they should've done better than this. So many angry customers out there and they are spreading words. (I guess I was one of them) I tried to comment almost every post that is related to repair to attract people to show them what is going on. We all know DJI is trying hard but one thing I really angry about is lack of communication. How could you say "do not ask anything (not literally but it's the samething isn't it?)" to your customer? There are only a few employees who are on this forum try to help customers but it is just not enough at all. I like the fact that DJI is working on the problems but at the same time please let people know what you do. My first email from DJI was mine would take 4-6wks to repair but if not call us back????? Why can't you let me know why you could not repair my I1 in 6 wks? Anywyas, I hated how long it did take to fix my i1 but I still love my I1(even though I don't know how it would behave after repair). Please keep working on the problems and try to catch up ASAP.

Hope all the piolots who crashed get their I1, P3, P2 and etc very SOON!

Cheers!

IMG_0562.jpg
IMG_0561.jpg
2015-6-30
Use props
info.andand
New
Flight distance : 440830 ft
Sweden

I'm sorry to say that I have the same experience with the time schedule and cost. I send my I1 for repair to Germany – as I live in Stockholm, Sweden. It took 4 weeks to get an answer from the German Service Centre saying that they had to order spare parts incoming within 2 weeks. After 8 weeks I got a notice I had to pay  1 600 USD because it’s not a guarantee.  So I did and last Friday I got the same answer as before – we have to order new spare parts and the job will be finished in 2 weeks time.
Hurray for the European Service Centre in Germany.
2015-7-14
Use props
Woni30
lvl.2
United States

info.andand Posted at 2015-7-14 18:43
I'm sorry to say that I have the same experience with the time schedule and cost. I send my I1 for r ...

Did you actually pay $1,600? What did your invoice say? Do you mind sharing? I have been told that now you can buy inspire 1 only and that would be around $2,000. If I have to pay $1,600 too, I don't know if I want to proceed.
2015-8-1
Use props
info.andand
New
Sweden

Yes it’s true – USD 1650 to be more exact. I finally received it last Wednesday and I got a brand new. So I have been flying three days now without any incident. Thank’s for that.
2015-8-2
Use props
Woni30
lvl.2
United States

info.andand Posted at 2015-8-2 20:09
Yes it’s true – USD 1650 to be more exact. I finally received it last Wednesday and I got a brand  ...

Oh so it's not repaied inspire but you got a brand new inspire 1 with camera/gimbal? If that's the case, it was certainly a good deal? Can you verify this?
2015-8-2
Use props
info.andand
New
Sweden

Yes it's true. According to Swedish consumer law I should have the repair for free and a resonable wait of 3 weeks so that's why I'm furious
2015-8-5
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Ive heard of birds attacking drones before, that really sucks.  Ive flown close to hawks, geese, ducks and seaguls and none of them tried to attack mine luckily.  DJI has a 2 month turn around time for repairs almost everyone reports.  camera is $550USD, arm is $400, not sure about motors, havent wrecked one of those yet, heh.  I fixed mine myself when i crashed and broke camera gimble just like yours and the arm in almost exactly the same places.  much faster than waiting 2 months for them to fix and send it back.  not too hard either really.  I cheaped out on the arm and used a $2 plastic garden hose splice which works pretty good but it does allow the arm to flex slightly more than the other side which is kinda scary as prop clearances to the nose are tight but after dozens of flights its not getting any worse, though i may replace the arm when i get the extra cash eventually.  Not that worried about it yet, i just check before every flight to make sure it isnt getting worse over time and so far it hasnt.  

If the antenna wire in the foot broke like mine did the only way to get a new antenna is buy the whole foot for $175 which i did but accidentally broke the new wire while installing it, its very tiny and very weak, grrr!!  So im only running with 3 antennas, missing one video signal antenna in the front so when im a long ways away and turn the front of the craft back towards me it will sometimes lose video feed which is quite annoying but im not real keen on spending another 175 to try and fix it again just yet.  It only happens around a half a mile to a mile away when flying directly towards the remote and works just fine when flying closer distances so its not a major problem.  Would probably be worse if it was RC control antenna .  The wire is so unbelievably fragile it just ripped in half with very little force while attempting to fish it through the tube from the arm to the body.  as its a shielded wire i dont really think you can splice it, im not sure though.
2015-8-6
Use props
Faheem9391
New

United States

I'm about to purchase an Inspire 1 and I'm doing my A through Z checks.  One of the worries I have is accidents and Insurance policies and practices, so did you have insurance at the time of the crash?  If so, what the insurance paid out and what you paid out and was the insurance worth it?
2015-8-19
Use props
Oldmick
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14970 ft
United States

My inspire was sent in on June 12. "Checked in a day or two later... I got an invoice for repairs on August 7.  I paid it in the same day.  August 20th today, and, still no idea when it will be back.  All of this for 1 hour of labor and one bad motor.  
2015-8-20
Use props
Woni30
lvl.2
United States

Faheem9391 Posted at 2015-8-20 09:21
I'm about to purchase an Inspire 1 and I'm doing my A through Z checks.  One of the worries I have i ...

I did not have any insurance at the time of crash. I am now considering to have one. The dealer I purchased from offers accidental damage coverage and I am considering to get one. I am not sure how much it is now but I will check with them later. dronesetc.com
2015-8-22
Use props
Woni30
lvl.2
United States

Oldmick Posted at 2015-8-21 00:10
My inspire was sent in on June 12. "Checked in a day or two later... I got an invoice for repairs on ...

That's really horrible. A guy I know from Facebook waited almost 3 wks after he paid his invoice. I hope you get yours soon. Do you mind sharing the amount of invoice you paid? I am just trying to figure out how much I may have to pay.
2015-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules