Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can I use an Ipad mini to update Raveneye?
4930 8 2020-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Travelino
lvl.1

United States

I am interested in buying the DJI RS2 Combo, but can't find answers to the following questions:
Can I use an Ipad mini4 to load the Ronin App on for doing the updates.  I know the compatilibity lists only Smart Phones, but the IOS on the ipad meets the required specs.
I do not have a smart phone that is new enough to support the app and don't want to buy one at this point.

The updated firmware states that to update the Raveneye, you connect via WiFi to the Raveneye and your device with the Ronin app.  I understand that part, but what I don't understand is, if the device (in my case the ipad, assuming it works) is connected via WiFi to the Raveneye, then how does the device (ipad) connect to the internet to download the firmware update for the Raveneye.  It can't connect to two different WiFi connects at the same time.  What am I missing here. Does the app pre-download the firmware updates, so it will already be on the device to update the Raveneye?    If it uses cell phone connections to download, then my ipad won't work, because it does not have that capability.

I guess this question is the same for a smart phone too, as to how the smart phone would be both connected to the Raveneye and the internet at the same time.?

With DJI drones, you can use a computer (PC) app to do the downloads/updates.  Is there a way to update firmware for the RS2 and Raveneye using a PC.  If not, perhaps that would be useful to have, as other posts seem to indicted some people having problems using the app to do firmware updates.

2020-12-15
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there, currently we do not achieve the compatibility of the Ronin app on the tablet. Therefore, we still recommend users to use smartphone as a receiver. When connect the RavenEye to the iPad, we cannot guarantee if the size adaptation works fine with the app interface.

We will also voice your suggestions to our app engineers for the reference, thanks.
2020-12-24
Use props
DGBarar
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HI Travelino:

When updating the firmware on RS 2, your mobile device will be connected to the internet via WI-FI and the mobile device will be connected to the RS 2 via Bluetooth.

I will try communicating to my RS 2 with my iPad this week.  I see no reason for this not to work.

Don Barar
2020-12-24
Use props
Travelino
lvl.1

United States

DGBarar Posted at 12-24 08:13
HI Travelino:

When updating the firmware on RS 2, your mobile device will be connected to the internet via WI-FI and the mobile device will be connected to the RS 2 via Bluetooth.

Don,
Thanks for the reply and look forward to hearing what the results of your test are.
Part of my question is to understand if an iPAD  can update the firmware on the Raveneye, since in that case, the connection between the iPad and the Raveneye is WiFi and I am wondering then , how the iPad can also connect to the internet while dong so, since that too is a WiFi connection.  Thus my question is, when using a phone, does it connect to the internet via cell tower, i.e. data mode on cell phone.

The DJI instructions state to update firmware on Raveneye, that is how they show the connections.
So I guess one other answer might be that any firmware udpates for the Raveneye are already downloaded to the app when the app is updated?
2020-12-24
Use props
DGBarar
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Travelino Posted at 12-24 12:32
Don,
Thanks for the reply and look forward to hearing what the results of your test are.
Part of my question is to understand if an iPAD  can update the firmware on the Raveneye, since in that case, the connection between the iPad and the Raveneye is WiFi and I am wondering then , how the iPad can also connect to the internet while dong so, since that too is a WiFi connection.  Thus my question is, when using a phone, does it connect to the internet via cell tower, i.e. data mode on cell phone.

Hi Travelio:

I have an RS 2.  I updated the firmware for both the RS 2 and RavenEye with my iPhone.  The iPhone is connected to to the internet via WiFi and connected to the RS 2/RavenEye via Bluetooth.

You can connect to the RS 2/RavenEye system 2 ways:

1) Via WiFi through RavenEye.  Here you will make an ad-hoc WiFi network connection from your mobile device through RavenEye to the RS 2.  Bluetooth connection to gimbal must be off. LED on RavenEye will be green as long as camera is on.  If camera is off, LED will be blue.  No firmware updates can be made.   You can select Active Track object with either the mobile app, trigger, or the touch screen.

2) Via Bluetooth through RS 2.  This requires a Bluetooth connection between your mobile device to RS 2.  Firmware update can be made to both RS 2 and RavenEye because mobile device is connected to internet via WiFi.  LED on RavenEye is blue.  Active track can be launched on the RS 2 with the trigger or the touch screen.  The mobile device does not need to be connected to initiate Active Track.

Also, I was able able to connect and operate my RS 2/RavenEye via WiFi and Bluetooth with an iPad operating under iOS 14.3.

I wish the instructions in the manual/on-line were better as this would eliminate much of the confusion surrounding this equipment and how to use it.   Most of what I have learned has come from me playing around for 3 days and figuring out how things works.

Hope you and others find this helpful.

Don Barar
2020-12-24
Use props
Travelino
lvl.1

United States

DGBarar Posted at 12-24 18:03
Hi Travelio:

I have an RS 2.  I updated the firmware for both the gimbal and RavenEye with my iPhone.  The iPhone is connected to to the internet via WiFi and connected to the gimbal/RavenEye via Bluetooth.

Don,
Thanks for your very informative reply.  That answers my question completely.   It's great to know that actual users of the products take the time to help others. Without community help, a lot of folks would be lost.
2020-12-24
Use props
DGBarar
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Travelino Posted at 12-24 19:17
Don,
Thanks for your very informative reply.  That answers my question completely.   It's great to know that actual users of the products take the time to help others. Without community help, a lot of folks would be lost.

Hi Travelio,

You are most welcome.

Don Barar
2020-12-25
Use props
illuminatedRS
lvl.2

United States

DGBarar Posted at 2020-12-24 18:03
Hi Travelio:

I have an RS 2.  I updated the firmware for both the RS 2 and RavenEye with my iPhone.  The iPhone is connected to to the internet via WiFi and connected to the RS 2/RavenEye via Bluetooth.

I do wonder if a certain level of Bluetooth or Wi-Fi is required I have an old iPad Air for example that would be great for this the app seems to run so that’s good but I wonder if it wouldn’t work for Video transmission in this case because of the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth chipsets being so old?
2021-8-15
Use props
ivanator007
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2020-12-24 07:11
Hello there, currently we do not achieve the compatibility of the Ronin app on the tablet. Therefore, we still recommend users to use smartphone as a receiver. When connect the RavenEye to the iPad, we cannot guarantee if the size adaptation works fine with the app interface.

We will also voice your suggestions to our app engineers for the reference, thanks.

Hi Wanda,
I have tried connecting my Raveneye and Dji RS2 but the app on android does not find the device.
I've had some success with the app on my ipad but I can't seem to be able to update the firmware on Raveneye. I managed to updat the RS2 firmware.
Also, still not able to get it working with the Sony A1. I understand it's not compatible at present. Will that change soon? I'd like to be able to use active track but cannot at present.
Thanks, Ivan
2022-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules