Getting the altitude above sea level
3453 5 2020-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Akos H
lvl.2
Flight distance : 898396 ft
Hungary

As far as I see, the EXIF data associated with the photos contains the altitude relative to the take-off point. Is there a way to get the "real" elevation above sea level in some automated way? So far the best I could do is to check the elevation of the take-off point in Google Earth and then adding the altitude from the EXIF data. But this does not really scale to lots of images.

2020-12-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Why do you want to do this?

As far as I see, the EXIF data associated with the photos contains the altitude relative to the take-off point. Is there a way to get the "real" elevation above sea level in some automated way?
If you look deeper into the metadata for the images captured by your drone, you'll find two altitude numbers, one for relative altitude (above launch point) and one for Absolute altitude (ASL).
But there's no guarantee that the Absolute  Altitude is accurate.
Most DJI drones use an incorrect method to calculate this.
I haven't seen how the Air 2 does it.

2020-12-15
Use props
Akos H
lvl.2
Flight distance : 898396 ft
Hungary

Just out of curiosity. I've just checked a few examples with exiftool, and seems like the absolute and relative altitudes are the same (meaning that the absolute is incorrect). But thanks!
2020-12-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Akos H Posted at 12-15 16:13
Just out of curiosity. I've just checked a few examples with exiftool, and seems like the absolute and relative altitudes are the same (meaning that the absolute is incorrect). But thanks!

I've just checked a few examples with exiftool, and seems like the absolute and relative altitudes are the same (meaning that the absolute is incorrect).
That sounds unlikely.
Post one of your images and I can check with other data readers.

What are you wanting this for?

2020-12-15
Use props
djiuser_A81lEUkXk4tM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10348 ft
Germany

Labroides Posted at 2020-12-15 16:44
I've just checked a few examples with exiftool, and seems like the absolute and relative altitudes are the same (meaning that the absolute is incorrect).
That sounds unlikely.
Post one of your images and I can check with other data readers.

I have the same problem like him on MA2.
The absolute and the relative altitude are always the same, testing for different location capturing and different times and with open area so at least there were 18 Satellites.
I think they are always the same because there is no GPS altitude given in Exif, it is always with value 0.
I wanted likely to see this GPS altitude eventhough the inaccuracy of GPS altitude can reach 10 meters or more
2022-8-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_A81lEUkXk4tM Posted at 8-14 01:48
I have the same problem like him on MA2.
The absolute and the relative altitude are always the same, testing for different location capturing and different times and with open area so at least there were 18 Satellites.
I think they are always the same because there is no GPS altitude given in Exif, it is always with value 0.

That sounds unlikely and I suspect that the full metadata would find the explanation.
As that member never posted any images for me to check, I don't know what the issue was, or if there really was an issue.

I wanted likely to see this GPS altitude even though the inaccuracy of GPS altitude can reach 10 meters or more
Despite the label on the data field, GPS Altitude does not come from GPS.
It's common for the error to be +/- 80 metres.

If you post one of the images you are concerned about, I can check the full metadata and get back to you to explain what I find.
You'll have to upload the full-size original image file to dropbox or a similar site and post a link to it.
2022-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules