Mavic Mini stuck on treetop for 7 months will it fly?
2137 21 2020-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ShaBP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 732221 ft
Israel

Watch to find out:
https://youtu.be/NWRxT_6XxSw

2020-12-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Impressive!
2020-12-16
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

why you write on the Spark section?
2020-12-16
Use props
ShaBP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 732221 ft
Israel

Mavic Mini rescued after 7 months on a treetop. Will it fly again?

Watch to find out.

2020-12-16
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

That is quite incredible!! What a tough little Mini beast :-)
2020-12-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 12-16 15:18
why you write on the Spark section?

I help to move it to the Mavic Mini section, thanks for your feedback.
2020-12-16
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thats awesome.
2020-12-16
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Pretty darn amazing!
Good day for you!
2020-12-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

OK.......... But.... I would not trust those motors, especially because one or more was frozen at first. That meant there was swelling in the motor iron laminations and that is an accident waiting to happen. At the very least, I would check all 4 motors for free movement before every flight in the future. I had two fail and they looked like rust inside with tiny pieces of loose iron. I replaced both.
2020-12-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

2020-12-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Amazing, good to see a video like this, shows how durable these little drones are.
2020-12-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ShaBP. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this amazing video. The DJI Mavic Mini is really an impressive drone. Again thank you for your support and fly safe always.
2020-12-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm amazed at how durable the Mini is.  However, I'd keep an eye on the motors over the next dozen or so flights after sitting out in the elements all that time.  I replaced a right rear motor on mine after it felt a little tight in turning and had some super small shavings visible in the coils.  The other 3 motors haven't had any issues.  
2020-12-17
Use props
gringa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 628980 ft
United Kingdom

Great, happy you made it!

I wonder if there was no rain for 7 months?? Or did it survive despite the rain?
2020-12-17
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Good news story here for sure. If you are technically skilled you should take it apart and try and get more rust off the circuit boards. I’d also trash the battery. It would have received lots of expansion and contraction. You can’t trust it at all.

Happy flying

TCG
2020-12-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-17 06:09
I'm amazed at how durable the Mini is.  However, I'd keep an eye on the motors over the next dozen or so flights after sitting out in the elements all that time.  I replaced a right rear motor on mine after it felt a little tight in turning and had some super small shavings visible in the coils.  The other 3 motors haven't had any issues.

You and I had the same symptoms, except mine were both front motors. Since I bought that one used, I have no idea what may have happened. There wasn't a scratch on it so I suspect immersion that didn't show damage for a few months.

These tiny iron particles are extremely difficult to remove because of the magnets inside the motor. I even disassembled one motor and it was still almost impossible to get them all out. Just one particle can jam the motor unexpectedly because of the close clearances between the magnets and the armature.

2020-12-17
Use props
djiuser_jlXvtbqzCyHi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4725190 ft
Spain

Amazing!! Happy for you that you have your mini back.....and still flyable
2020-12-17
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

arguably the best advertisement for the MM ;)
2020-12-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Great clip, coupled with the best or worst song ever, depending on your morality ;-) "Treetop flyer" is great! Stills wrote it and sang it first, But Jimmy Buffett did it better and much more honestly.
2020-12-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-17 22:41
Great clip, coupled with the best or worst song ever, depending on your morality ;-) "Treetop flyer" is great! Stills wrote it and sang it first, But Jimmy Buffett did it better and much more honestly.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJO8NQLbS3E&ab_channel=jetfang1

Had forgotten about that song.  
2020-12-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-17 12:46
You and I had the same symptoms, except mine were both front motors. Since I bought that one used, I have no idea what may have happened. There wasn't a scratch on it so I suspect immersion that didn't show damage for a few months.

These tiny iron particles are extremely difficult to remove because of the magnets inside the motor. I even disassembled one motor and it was still almost impossible to get them all out. Just one particle can jam the motor unexpectedly because of the close clearances between the magnets and the armature.

100% correct on being impossible to remove all those tiny metal particles.  I tried everything I had available but simply no way.  Was much easier to buy new replacement.  It was really all that hard to replace.  I know DJI does not recommend DIY but this was not a complex repair.

Now I make it a habit to hand spin the motors before ever starting up just to make sure they are free turning.  I do that on both my drones.  I just wish the props on the Mini were not screw on as that's 8 more things to keep an eye on.  LOL.
2020-12-18
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Quite a novell!
Congratulations for getting the Mini again.
Have nice and safe flights.
2020-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules