SDcard in Smart Controller or Drone?
14340 17 2020-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sab80
lvl.1

Australia

Hi, I just got my first drone, Mavic 2 Pro with Smart Controller and I'm a bit confused as in where to put the SD cards to record videos and Photos. I noticed that photos get stored on the SDCard in the drone as well as on the Smart Controller SDcard, however the videos only get stored on the Smart Controller SD card. Is that expected? Does that mean I don't really need to put an SD card in the drone and can use the Smart Controller only?

2020-12-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The ONLY real place to put an SD card is in the aircraft. The card in the aircraft will record all photos and video clips in high quality. The card in the Smart Controller is only recording low quality preview copies of the photos and movies, and can be subject to glitches in the radio transmission.
2020-12-16
Use props
Sab80
lvl.1

Australia

Geebax Posted at 12-16 17:38
The ONLY real place to put an SD card is in the aircraft. The card in the aircraft will record all photos and video clips in high quality. The card in the Smart Controller is only recording low quality preview copies of the photos and movies, and can be subject to glitches in the radio transmission.

I had the 128SDcard in the Aircraft but it didn't record any videos on it, only the photos, all the videos went straight to the Smart Controller. The quality of the videos from the Smart Controller are pretty good, I don't think they have reduced quality?!
Edit: I just found older threads about the same topic. My issue is that it won't record any videos on the SDcard in the drone, only photos.
I use a 128GB V30 (U3) SD card which was recomanded, so I'm not sure why only the cache videos on the Controler are captured but not the actual videos on the Aircraft
2020-12-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Sab80 Posted at 12-16 17:43
I had the 128SDcard in the Aircraft but it didn't record any videos on it, only the photos, all the videos went straight to the Smart Controller. The quality of the videos from the Smart Controller are pretty good, I don't think they have reduced quality?!
Edit: I just found older threads about the same topic. My issue is that it won't record any videos on the SDcard in the drone, only photos.
I use a 128GB V30 (U3) SD card which was recomanded, so I'm not sure why only the cache videos on the Controler are captured but not the actual videos on the Aircraft

The reason the movies are not being recorded in the aircraft will be because your SD card is probably not fast enough.

2020-12-17
Use props
Sab80
lvl.1

Australia

Geebax Posted at 12-17 13:12
The reason the movies are not being recorded in the aircraft will be because your SD card is probably not fast enough.

It's a ScanDisk Extreme 128GB V30 , is that not good enough?
2020-12-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Sab80 Posted at 12-17 15:02
It's a ScanDisk Extreme 128GB V30 , is that not good enough?

It should be, providing it is a genuine Sandisk card. There are a lot of fake ones around though. Try formatting it in the aircraft and see if that helps.
2020-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Sab80. Thank for reaching out and for these information you have given. In addition to this I will post the list of supported microSD card for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Thank you.

2020-12-17
Use props
Sab80
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-17 22:35
Hello there Sab80. Thank for reaching out and for these information you have given. In addition to this I will post the list of supported microSD card for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Thank you.

[view_image]

Cool, thanks Stephen. I'm definitely using a compatible SD card, I will try to format it and give it another go, fingers crossed it will work
2020-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Sab80 Posted at 12-17 22:43
Cool, thanks Stephen. I'm definitely using a compatible SD card, I will try to format it and give it another go, fingers crossed it will work

Hi there Sab80. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2020-12-18
Use props
djiuser_fHlxFlvWB8QX
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 2020-12-17 15:15
It should be, providing it is a genuine Sandisk card. There are a lot of fake ones around though. Try formatting it in the aircraft and see if that helps.

Or change your default storage location to sd instead of aircraft
2021-7-2
Use props
Pathart1315
New

United States

djiuser_fHlxFlvWB8QX Posted at 7-2 19:14
Or change your default storage location to sd instead of aircraft

This may be a dumb question but
given that there are 2 seperate SD Card Locations
( one in the Drone and another in the Smart Remote)
How can you specify  which SD Card that you want the footage to be recorded too?

it seems like we are only given the options ( SD Card or Internal storage)  
but which friggin SD Card is the darn footage going to??
The SD card on the Drone? or the SD Card on the Smart Remote??
2021-12-4
Use props
Adenb95
New

United Kingdom

Pathart1315 Posted at 2021-12-4 16:54
This may be a dumb question but
given that there are 2 seperate SD Card Locations
( one in the Drone and another in the Smart Remote)

Has anybody got an answer for this?

I have the same issue and was wondering if anyone can help?
2023-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Adenb95 Posted at 2-8 06:08
Has anybody got an answer for this?

I have the same issue and was wondering if anyone can help?

The SD card goes in the drone.
There's no real reason to ever have an SD card in the controller.
2023-2-8
Use props
ken1403
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13719016 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-8 06:59
The SD card goes in the drone.
There's no real reason to ever have an SD card in the controller.

That's where you are wrong. It is a huge advantage to have a sd card in the smart controller as it lets you get screen shots and screen recording and it backups your photos and videos. Should you forget to replace the sd card in your drone it is vital to have on in your controller. Also you do not need to turn on your drone to view your photos and videos.
2023-2-9
Use props
djiuser_YgOA2MZIo9kT
New
Flight distance : 55919 ft
Netherlands

ken1403 Posted at 2-9 16:14
That's where you are wrong. It is a huge advantage to have a sd card in the smart controller as it lets you get screen shots and screen recording and it backups your photos and videos. Should you forget to replace the sd card in your drone it is vital to have on in your controller. Also you do not need to turn on your drone to view your photos and videos.

So your advice is to put a SD card in the drone and in the controller? So you need two SD cards?
2023-6-16
Use props
ken1403
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_YgOA2MZIo9kT Posted at 6-16 10:49
So your advice is to put a SD card in the drone and in the controller? So you need two SD cards?

Yes in both as I do screen recordings all the time. That way you can review your flight if there were any issues and it shows all the messages and warnings when played back.
2023-6-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_YgOA2MZIo9kT Posted at 6-16 10:49

That might be his advice, but it's wrong.
The only SD card you need is the one in the drone.
None of his "reasons" to have one in the controller are necessary or really useful.
2023-6-16
Use props
ken1403
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-16 14:26
That might be his advice, but it's wrong.
The only SD card you need is the one in the drone.
None of his "reasons" to have one in the controller are necessary or really useful.

Do you even own a smart controller?
2023-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules