10823 80 2020-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/18/22188789/dji-ban-commerce-entity-list-drone-china-transaction-blocked

Looks like dji are now on the blacklist in the US. No more dji drones ?, unless maybe you ship direct and this will most likely cause price increase. It's a pity and i dont see why this would happen, but with trump still in charge i suppose anything is likely to happen.
2020-12-18
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

Amazon still carries them.  
2020-12-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

bob37 Posted at 12-18 09:14

But for how long. It’s very strange that all cyber attacks are coming from Russia but the bans are going to China. I think its trump throwing his toys out of the Pram. ;+)...
2020-12-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

bob37 Posted at 12-18 09:14

But for how long. It’s very strange that all cyber attacks are coming from Russia but the bans are going to China. I think its trump throwing his toys out of the Pram. ;+)...
2020-12-18
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Meanwhile no response to the Russian incursions into sensitive US government systems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2020-12-18
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Wow, Donald Duck is really causing issues before he goes to jail. With USA doing this, it is only a matter of time before the other five "I" countries follow. After the ban on Chinese camera manufactures by the US, the other 4 countries followed short after, banning use of these products in Government departments.
2020-12-18
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

20th of January can't come soon enough,
2020-12-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI and China have nothing to worry about. PE Biden will swiftly undo anything P Trump has done to prevent China from further taking advantage of US technology illegally.  Besides he will just send his son Hunter over there to work things out with his Chinese contacts anyway.

2020-12-18
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

For a Price.....
2020-12-18
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

The title and post are misleading.  DJI is not banned in the US.  What is not allowed is the export of US technology to DJI.  So if DJI uses any US parts, code or such, they will no longer be allowed to do so.  

There is nothing in there that says you can't buy DJI products in the US.
2020-12-18
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 12-18 10:49
The title and post are misleading.  DJI is not banned in the US.  What is not allowed is the export of US technology to DJI.  So if DJI uses any US parts, code or such, they will no longer be allowed to do so.  

So much for buying out Skydio.
2020-12-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JEZ2 Posted at 12-18 10:49

If you think its going to be Business as normal after this, you might be advised to read again. Surely you don’t believe the US are giving dji a leg up here. This is directly based at curbing any or all sales of dji drones in the US.

“The ban was put in place through the same mechanism as the US government’s ongoing ban on Huawei products, and is primarily focused on blocking the export of US technology to the drone-maker. As such, the ban will make it difficult for US businesses to provide parts or components for DJI to use in its drones, which is likely to disrupt the company’s supply chain. It may also make it difficult for US stores to directly sell DJI products or transact with the company, particularly if China responds to the action with further restrictions”.
2020-12-18
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-18 10:21
DJI and China have nothing to worry about. PE Biden will swiftly undo anything P Trump has done to prevent China from further taking advantage of US technology illegally.  Besides he will just send his son Hunter over there to work things out with his Chinese contacts anyway.

Well, kettle calling the pot black.
2020-12-18
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

I don't care I'm French
2020-12-18
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-18 11:23
If you think its going to be Business as normal after this, you might be advised to read again. Surely you don’t believe the US are giving dji a leg up here. This is directly based at curbing any or all sales of dji drones in the US.

“The ban was put in place through the same mechanism as the US government’s ongoing ban on Huawei products, and is primarily focused on blocking the export of US technology to the drone-maker. As such, the ban will make it difficult for US businesses to provide parts or components for DJI to use in its drones, which is likely to disrupt the company’s supply chain. It may also make it difficult for US stores to directly sell DJI products or transact with the company, particularly if China responds to the action with further restrictions”.

I didn't say it was going to be "business as normal".  I said the post and title are misleading, because buying a DJI drone is not banned in the US as the orginal post and title state.  "No more DJI drones unless you buy direct" is not a correct statement at this time.

I read the article.  More importantly, I've also read the Export Control Act (something I'm not sure if the authors have actually done).

Is it possible China counters with restrictions, taxes, or duties?  Yes.  It is possible DJI pulls out of the US?  Sure.  Is it possible some retailers decide not to do business with DJI?  Also, yes.  All of these things are possible.  But today's action doesn't involve any of those.  Today's action simply does not allow the export of US technology to DJI without a license (and separately, the US government will not be purchasing from DJI).  Previous companies on "the list" have been able to get temporary license to continue to use their US technology as well, which might minimize the impact.

I have no idea what US technology DJI uses to even know if this really matters.   We know the Smart Controller uses Android, so that is at risk without a license.

Simply put, your ability to buy DJI products (and a retailers ability to sell them) is not legally impacted by this action. DJI's ability to produce their products might be.  Resulting actions and reactions may also hamper the ability or cost to buy or sell.  This very well may end up being the "beginning of the end" for DJI in the US. Or, it may be a temporary bump in the consumer market.

2020-12-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 12-18 11:23

“The ban was put in place through the same mechanism as the US government’s ongoing ban on Huawei products, and is primarily focused on blocking the export of US technology to the drone-maker. As such, the ban will make it difficult for US businesses to provide parts or components for DJI to use in its drones, which is likely to disrupt the company’s supply chain. It may also make it difficult for US stores to directly sell DJI products or transact with the company, particularly if China responds to the action with further restrictions”.

It's just political nonsense.
Normal service will be resumed shortly.
2020-12-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JEZ2 Posted at 12-18 13:07
I didn't say it was going to be "business as normal".  I said the post and title are misleading, because buying a DJI drone is not banned in the US as the orginal post and title state.  "No more DJI drones unless you buy direct" is not a correct statement at this time.

I read the article.  More importantly, I've also read the Export Control Act (something I'm not sure if the authors have actually done).

These actions are purely designed to impair imports of Chinese goods and general sales of Chinese goods, in this case drones. But I figure this has more to do with the “Wannabe king “ in charge, and when normalcy returns common sense will prevail...
2020-12-18
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think it means the US gov't has banned supplying to companies like DJI so if say some of the parts required to build the drone come from American company suppliers, they can no longer send.  If China wants to buy the company's intellectual property so they can make it themselves, they can still deal all over the world except the United States.
2020-12-18
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

so does this mean we won't get the dji mini2 software update to be compatible with the smart controller anytime soon? lol
2020-12-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

He'll be gone soon.
2020-12-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

The Saint Posted at 12-18 13:47
so does this mean we won't get the dji mini2 software update to be compatible with the smart controller anytime soon? lol

Not until January 21st, €;+)
2020-12-18
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-18 13:16
These actions are purely designed to impair imports of Chinese goods and general sales of Chinese goods, in this case drones. But I figure this has more to do with the “Wannabe king “ in charge, and when normalcy returns common sense will prevail...

You might be correct.  Tariffs are probably an easier way to impair imports (although probably also more likely to be subject to retribution.  The Export Act (2018 version) and list was specifically build around US National Security and to not allow (chosen) foreign companies and foreign governments to be able to build weapons and other things (like spying software) using US products and intelligence.  I'm not sure if the current administration things that is a real risk for DJI (although as noted they are on the list for human rights) or if that is just an excuse to mess with them.
2020-12-18
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

"The ban was put in place through the same mechanism as the US government’s ongoing ban on Huawei products, and is primarily focused on blocking the export of US technology to the drone-maker. As such, the ban will make it difficult for US businesses to provide parts or components for DJI to use in its drones, which is likely to disrupt the company’s supply chain. It may also make it difficult for US stores to directly sell DJI products or transact with the company, particularly if China responds to the action with further restrictions.

The ban is set to go into effect when the list is officially updated at 11:15AM ET."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12 ... transaction-blocked

This will definitely cause the price of the current drones to go up but if DJI cannot be supplied properly, then RMAs may be backlogged and some may never ever get their equipments back.
2020-12-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I hope Biden will change it again!
2020-12-18
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

My man, Joe, is going to need a huge eraser ;-)
2020-12-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 12-18 15:51
My man, Joe, is going to need a huge eraser ;-)

He obviously has one, because he’s just removed your biggest mistake ;+)...
2020-12-18
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-18 15:55
He obviously has one, because he’s just removed your biggest mistake ;+)...

Not my mistake, I never voted for him. And I advised others do do the same.
2020-12-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 12-18 15:57
Not my mistake, I never voted for him. And I advised others do do the same.

Good job, I was referring to your countries biggest mistake...IMO
2020-12-18
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

Agreed.  This is a continuation of an anti-China campaign that has been integral part of the Trump platform. Last November, the U.S. Department of Interior grounded it's fleet of Chinese based drones and  has been directed to only use US manufactured drones. Last May, the Department of Homeland Security stated they have 'strong concerns' about the security of the data collected from the use of DJI drones.   The US Government has also identified DJI as being one of 4 companies that 'enabled wide-scale human rights abuses within China through abusive genetic collection and analysis or high-technology surveillance.'  The political manure is piling high quickly.
2020-12-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Total Disinformation

DJI can still sell drones in U.S.  DJI along with other Chinese companies being on Blacklist means, U.S. companies have to get special license to sell tech to DJI.
The reason DJI was put on Blacklist is stated in both articles.

Chinese drone company DJI added to U.S. economic blacklist
As a result, American companies  may be prohibited from exporting parts  to DJI and other companies on  the list. Consumers could also find it  more difficult to purchase DJI  products, which still dominate despite a drop  to  69% of the market share – down from 74% in 2018. The department  was  also quoted on its decision, which took effect at 11:15 am, EST,  earlier  today by stating that DJI 'facilitated the export of items by  China  that aid repressive regimes around the world, contrary to U.S.  foreign  policy interests.'

U.S. blacklists dozens of Chinese firms including SMIC, DJI
The department also said it was  adding the world’s biggest drone company  DJI to the list along with  AGCU Scientech; China National Scientific  Instruments and Materials,  and Kuang-Chi Group for allegedly enabling  “wide-scale human rights  abuses within China through abusive genetic  collection and analysis or  high-technology surveillance.”

2020-12-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Only products that contain USA components cannot be manufactured now,  but It looks like DJI has already moved away from using USA suppliers.
2020-12-19
Use props
FictitiousPerson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
United Kingdom

Trump is the best no ... president ever!!

2020-12-19
Use props
FictitiousPerson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
United Kingdom

Wanna be king ???
2020-12-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

NO DISINFORMATION, TOPIC OPENED FOR DISCUSSION PERIOD....
I see the idiot trump lover HedgeTrimmer is on once again spouting Rubbish. Typical Trump Sycophant, thinks everything is about him. His King is gone The Buffoon Clown of world Politics, Beaten to a Pulp by a real Politician. HT should read before he spouts. And one thing is for sure that idiot is not here to discuss drones. Sling your hook idiot if your not prepared to read the posts before comment...
2020-12-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Occams Razor Posted at 12-18 16:08
Agreed.  This is a continuation of an anti-China campaign that has been integral part of the Trump platform. Last November, the U.S. Department of Interior grounded it's fleet of Chinese based drones and  has been directed to only use US manufactured drones. Last May, the Department of Homeland Security stated they have 'strong concerns' about the security of the data collected from the use of DJI drones.   The US Government has also identified DJI as being one of 4 companies that 'enabled wide-scale human rights abuses within China through abusive genetic collection and analysis or high-technology surveillance.'  The political manure is piling high quickly.

I also agree, but I think common sense will soon prevail when the dust settles.
2020-12-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Occams Razor Posted at 12-18 16:08
Agreed.  This is a continuation of an anti-China campaign that has been integral part of the Trump platform. Last November, the U.S. Department of Interior grounded it's fleet of Chinese based drones and  has been directed to only use US manufactured drones. Last May, the Department of Homeland Security stated they have 'strong concerns' about the security of the data collected from the use of DJI drones.   The US Government has also identified DJI as being one of 4 companies that 'enabled wide-scale human rights abuses within China through abusive genetic collection and analysis or high-technology surveillance.'  The political manure is piling high quickly.

I also agree, but I think common sense will soon prevail when the dust settles. Hopefully gets sorted before release of Mavic 3 Pro ;+).....
2020-12-19
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The US hasn't banned their sale or import.  The list means DJI won't be able to use US tech in their manufacturing so if DJI rely on US Chips components this is were the issue will be.  Basically means the wrld largest drone manufacturer will source their materials away from the US.  You might also see US tech giants setting up outside the US to ensure they retain a global market.
2020-12-19
Use props
lifeisfun
lvl.4
Canada

Clearly explained .....

2020-12-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Andy Uk Posted at 12-19 04:33
The US hasn't banned their sale or import.  The list means DJI won't be able to use US tech in their manufacturing so if DJI rely on US Chips components this is were the issue will be.  Basically means the wrld largest drone manufacturer will source their materials away from the US.  You might also see US tech giants setting up outside the US to ensure they retain a global market.

While you’re correct in what you’re saying. This is an extremely bad ill thought way of going about any business, and in the short and long run it will be American consumers that will pay the cost of this nonsense. It’s a very similar situation with TARRIFFS on Chinese goods into America , its American people who will ultimately pay the piper.
2020-12-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

lifeisfun Posted at 12-19 04:46
Clearly explained .....

https://youtu.be/zCS61TZcKvA

It’s hard to believe it takes 20 minutes to explain nonsense ;+)....
2020-12-19
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules