Android Compatability List For Pocket 2; Help Please!
7388 14 2020-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dustyrose
lvl.1
United States

Does anyone know where to locate a list of compatible android cellphones for use with the Pocket 2 device?
For some reason, if it does exist it's more difficult to find than President Trumps tax documents as I've spent quite a while without success. Why might this list be so difficult to find, as many unsuspecting new owner's will be extremely disappointed over this holiday when they realize that their existing android will NOT connect or activate their little camera.

My wife surprised me with the "Creator Combo" Pocket 2 package last-night. I was very excited as I had read of it's supposed ability and mentioned it to my wife months ago. Needless to say my android does NOT have a usb-c port, and so I couldn't connect or activate it. This morning I went out to the T-moble store and purchased a brand new cellphone, one with a usb-c port, that I could use with the Pocket 2 cam. Big surprise to me, was when I got home and connected it, the screen informed me of it not being connected (even though it was attached to my new cellphone using the usb-c adapter) and was NOT activated!

After breathing fire for an hour or-so to a tech at the dji support chat, I was told that my brand new cellphone is NOT compatible. So then, my previous cellphone was only 4-5 months old, and I didn't need a new one. After purchasing a new cell, it turns out to be incompatible anyway. This has been a rough day for me, and my wife can attest to my frustration over all of this. My question is why is there not an android compatability list, that a potential buyer can browse before actually making their purchase of this Pocket 2? I suspect that many, if-not thousands of these will be returned by those who receive them as gifts over this up-coming holiday, and refuse to purchase a new cell to accomodate it.

If they have my experience and purchase a new cell specifically for the Pocket 2, how much more frustration will they endure to try this new fangled little camera. If I don't locate an android compatibility list by morning, it'll be going back to amazon, only without the original packing material as I always toss that stuff when I get a new gadget.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, in locating the hidden list, of compatible android cellphones for the Pocket 2...

dusty

2020-12-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, dustyrose. Thanks for reaching out and we're truly sorry to read about the difficulties you're encountering. May we know what specific mobile devices have you tried so far and solutions that you have run into while trying to resolve your concern? Anyway, you can check the list of the currently supported and suggested mobile devices here: https://www.dji.com/mimo

We're looking forward to your update and response.
2020-12-20
Use props
djiPocket2user
New

Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 2020-12-20 05:48
Hi, dustyrose. Thanks for reaching out and we're truly sorry to read about the difficulties you're encountering. May we know what specific mobile devices have you tried so far and solutions that you have run into while trying to resolve your concern? Anyway, you can check the list of the currently supported and suggested mobile devices here: https://www.dji.com/mimo

We're looking forward to your update and response.

I have the same problem, my Pocket 2 camera doesn't connect to my LG G6 phone. My phone uses usb C and android 8 operating sytem.
2021-2-11
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I think DJI has not quite grasped the situation here. It is indeed a frustrating issue to buy a new camera only to find out that you would need to buy a new, expensive phone just to be able to use the camera. What makes it even more infuriating is the fact that even if your phone DOES have both new-enough version of Android and a USB-C port, it STILL doesn't necessarily mean that your camera will work with it.

There is a list of phones compatible with the Pocket 2 at https://www.dji.com/fi/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo. However, this list is very small, considering the thousands of different Android models that have been released. As a result, I decided to create a thread where people can list, inform and check about other compatible and non-compatible phones. To see if your phone is on the list, or to inform others about whether or not your phone works after testing it out, check out https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=235190.
2021-2-11
Use props
dustyrose
lvl.1
United States

I finally made the decision to return the new cell phone that I purchased specifically to accommodate my Pocket 2, to purchase a 2nd new cell phone. I made sure to test the Pocket 2 before purchasing this 2nd new cell phone, so I'm now able to use it. It's been a frustrating & expensive process as today's cell phone's are not cheap. Had I been more familiar with the Pocket 2 initially, I would have simply used it without connecting it to my cell, transferring video & photos through the use of an micro sd card-adapter in my computer.

My initial excitement over the Pocket 2 was quickly diminished by the level of frustration I dealt with in attempting to locate a cell phone that would accommodate it. No doubt I was among the majority of new Pocket 2 owners, who had a similar experience in this regard...
2021-2-11
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

dustyrose Posted at 2-11 09:35
I finally made the decision to return the new cell phone that I purchased specifically to accommodate my Pocket 2, to purchase a 2nd new cell phone. I made sure to test the Pocket 2 before purchasing this 2nd new cell phone, so I'm now able to use it. It's been a frustrating & expensive process as today's cell phone's are not cheap. Had I been more familiar with the Pocket 2 initially, I would have simply used it without connecting it to my cell, transferring video & photos through the use of an micro sd card-adapter in my computer.

My initial excitement over the Pocket 2 was quickly diminished by the level of frustration I dealt with in attempting to locate a cell phone that would accommodate it. No doubt I was among the majority of new Pocket 2 owners, who had a similar experience in this regard...

May I ask what model was the phone you got it working with? Was it one of the models mentioned in the official DJI list, or some other model?

I ask this for the possibility that it's one of those that are not on the lists, so I could update the list.
2021-2-13
Use props
dustyrose
lvl.1
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 2-13 09:49
May I ask what model was the phone you got it working with? Was it one of the models mentioned in the official DJI list, or some other model?

I ask this for the possibility that it's one of those that are not on the lists, so I could update the list.

I don't know if it's on the compatibility list or not, but phone is an "LG", model-number; LM-Q730TM using android version 10.

dustyrose
2021-2-13
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

dustyrose Posted at 2-13 10:03
I don't know if it's on the compatibility list or not, but phone is an "LG", model-number; LM-Q730TM using android version 10.

dustyrose

Thank you for your reply. This will help my list. :-)

For anybody wanting to see their phone's compatibility or to report their test results, the thread is here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=235190
2021-2-13
Use props
djiuser_17tW0uUh8znI
New

United States

dustyrose Posted at 2-11 09:35

I am in the same boat. Ordered DJI pocket 2 combo. Watched tons of you tube no one said, I had to connect a phone to the DJI Pocket via the usb. But that is the only way to activate it. This should be posted as a must to operate camera. As You can use it 5 times till it locks you out. I used those five times to link to my tablet and phone via wireless that linked, only to take me to a accept all the rules now plug you phone into DJI via USB to activate. What? Why cant we activate it wireless they are linked. So I buy a cheap usb c, just to activate the phone. And its not compatible. Why is this problem not answered on the support page as a common question/problem. I am pretty positive after activated it will work wireless with most my devices. Activation process is the problem. If I cant find a cheap compatiable phone to activate. This fire will spread. As you can see Dusty I feel your pain.
2021-3-13
Use props
dustyrose
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_17tW0uUh8znI Posted at 3-13 21:17
I am in the same boat. Ordered DJI pocket 2 combo. Watched tons of you tube no one said, I had to connect a phone to the DJI Pocket via the usb. But that is the only way to activate it. This should be posted as a must to operate camera. As You can use it 5 times till it locks you out. I used those five times to link to my tablet and phone via wireless that linked, only to take me to a accept all the rules now plug you phone into DJI via USB to activate. What? Why cant we activate it wireless they are linked. So I buy a cheap usb c, just to activate the phone. And its not compatible. Why is this problem not answered on the support page as a common question/problem. I am pretty positive after activated it will work wireless with most my devices. Activation process is the problem. If I cant find a cheap compatiable phone to activate. This fire will spread. As you can see Dusty I feel your pain.

Good luck locating a cheap phone that's compatible. The 1st new cell that I bought for just over a hundred wasn't compatible, that cell has been collecting dust in a drawer since-then. The 2nd cell that I had to purchase was compatible, but the original cell that I owned before purchasing the Pocket 2 was only months-old, so I never needed a new cell phone, let-alone two new ones! It's been a very expensive experience for me I can assure you as neither of those phones were cheap.

Being a chinese conglomorate, I'm sure that dji could care-less, as they're in the business to sell product. The biggest issue that I have with using any of their devices is the blanket permission their apps require to use, access to all files, photos & contacts, which are NOT necessary for their products or apps, in order to serve the purpose that we use them for.

Until a U.S. company begins designing & selling similar units, we can break-away from the chinese grip around our throats. Hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later, but most likely won't happen during the current political administrations term. His son's most likely getting a decent cut from many of the products being imported from there...

Best Wishes...
2021-3-13
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

dustyrose Posted at 3-13 21:36
Good luck locating a cheap phone that's compatible. The 1st new cell that I bought for just over a hundred wasn't compatible, that cell has been collecting dust in a drawer since-then. The 2nd cell that I had to purchase was compatible, but the original cell that I owned before purchasing the Pocket 2 was only months-old, so I never needed a new cell phone, let-alone two new ones! It's been a very expensive experience for me I can assure you as neither of those phones were cheap.

Being a chinese conglomorate, I'm sure that dji could care-less, as they're in the business to sell product. The biggest issue that I have with using any of their devices is the blanket permission their apps require to use, access to all files, photos & contacts, which are NOT necessary for their products or apps, in order to serve the purpose that we use them for.

I'd like to ask one further question about the phones you bought and had before buying the one that proved to be compatible. Do you happen to remember the brands/models of the phones that proved to be non-compatible? I ask this so I could add them to my list as non-compatible, in case they weren't already mentioned there. In case you want to check if they already are there, you can see one of the links on my previous posts on this thread.
2021-3-15
Use props
dustyrose
lvl.1
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 3-15 08:50
I'd like to ask one further question about the phones you bought and had before buying the one that proved to be compatible. Do you happen to remember the brands/models of the phones that proved to be non-compatible? I ask this so I could add them to my list as non-compatible, in case they weren't already mentioned there. In case you want to check if they already are there, you can see one of the links on my previous posts on this thread.

Of course I know which cell I owned originally, as well as the 1st new cell that I had to purchase, neither of which was compatible, and caused me to by a third phone. Specifically, in order to work with the Pocket 2. I still have both of the first two in a drawer collecting dust here, one of which I used for 1 day, before having to purchase the third & last cell which IS compatible!
The original cell phone that I had owned for 3 months was a LG "Stylo 2 Plus". The 1st new cell phone that I purchased to use for the Pocket 2 was an LG "Aristo 5", which turned out to be incompatible as well. If you know anyone who'd like to buy either of these, let me know as they're both in new condition but collecting dust in a drawer here in my home, due to the Pocket 2 select compatiblity requirements...

dusty
2021-3-15
Use props
dustyrose
lvl.1
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 3-15 08:50
I'd like to ask one further question about the phones you bought and had before buying the one that proved to be compatible. Do you happen to remember the brands/models of the phones that proved to be non-compatible? I ask this so I could add them to my list as non-compatible, in case they weren't already mentioned there. In case you want to check if they already are there, you can see one of the links on my previous posts on this thread.

Ironically, the only need I had in purchasing these new cell phones was to activate the Pocket 2, as I've never used in along-with my cell phone. What an expensive venture...
2021-3-15
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

dustyrose Posted at 3-15 16:29
Of course I know which cell I owned originally, as well as the 1st new cell that I had to purchase, neither of which was compatible, and caused me to by a third phone. Specifically, in order to work with the Pocket 2. I still have both of the first two in a drawer collecting dust here, one of which I used for 1 day, before having to purchase the third & last cell which IS compatible!
The original cell phone that I had owned for 3 months was a LG "Stylo 2 Plus". The 1st new cell phone that I purchased to use for the Pocket 2 was an LG "Aristo 5", which turned out to be incompatible as well. If you know anyone who'd like to buy either of these, let me know as they're both in new condition but collecting dust in a drawer here in my home, due to the Pocket 2 select compatiblity requirements...

Thank you for your information. Updated that on my list.
2021-3-16
Use props
ipilotsbcglobal.net
lvl.1
United States

Hi Dusty. I just bought the "Creator Combo" last weekend and had the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. First the two adapters  wouldn't fit, since my cell phone is the old USB Micro kind. I bought an adapter from Amazon that went from the USB C to the USB A but it still wouldn't connect. Finally got it to connect wirelessly. It then activated, downloaded new updates and now works just fine with my S7 Edge. I did find out that you can't have any of the adapters plugged into the P2 when you're trying to get them to hook up though. Now everything works as planned, no need for me to buy a new smartphone. Hope this helps.
2021-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules