Does a glass window effect range?
3581 16 2020-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

Lets say it's cold out and you want to fly from your car with the heat on and window up.  How much does glass effect range?
2020-12-19
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

A while ago I did it for fun and the range was ok. "How much worse" it is compared to if I had stood next to the car, I can't say. The disadvantage is that you can't turn and align the RC so well in the car. As expected, signal interference occurred when the drone flies exactly over or behind the car, but otherwise it was pretty good.

Edit : Sorry, just seen, that this is Mini2 board...what I described was with Mini1. So I think with Occusync there are even less problems.

2020-12-19
Use props
djiuser_267jcyL97zif
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15738737 ft
Bulgaria

I tested flying from my house, and the glass shorten the range atleast 10 times, to practically hundred meters or so. So when I lost connection I had to open the window and put my jacket, because it is cold outside...
Note that the windows are having 2 pairs of 2 sided low emission glasses.

I guess it is the same with the car, there are different glasses on different cars.
2020-12-19
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Only if you forget to open it :-)
2020-12-19
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_267jcyL97zif Posted at 12-19 12:06
I tested flying from my house, and the glass shorten the range atleast 10 times, to practically hundred meters or so. So when I lost connection I had to open the window and put my jacket, because it is cold outside...

Wow, that's surprising.  Because glass is transparent, I was hoping it would have a minimal effect on range.
2020-12-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yes, it will have an effect on your range. You are then operating from inside a closed tin box.
2020-12-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I did a project for a WiFi enabled device in the car that need to sync with a network.  What I found from an extensive amount of research was that glass varies so much.  Auto glass on new cars has UV protections which inhibits signal more profoundly than non UV treated glass.  Also the structure of the glass has a big impact.  Safety glass is treated with heat and chemicals and has more impedance than traditional window glass in an older home.  Double or triple pained glass such as in my condo is terrible for signal even at shorter ranges.  

I flew my Air 2 which uses the same RC and Occusync that the Mini 2 does from my car and still got good signal distance in a rural area.  But in a city the range was awful.  Like a couple of hundred feet with frequent signal breakup.  I think it is very dependent on the environment you are flying in.
2020-12-19
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The glass not an issue. But the metal shell. hmmmm.
2020-12-20
Use props
kojabov
New

United States

The glass in your car acts as an insulator, helping to retain the heat generated by your car's heating system. While it provides a cozy environment for you, it can have a slight impact on your electric vehicle's range. The increased energy required to maintain a comfortable temperature inside the car may lead to a small reduction in range compared to driving with the heat off or with the window down. However, the effect is typically minimal and shouldn't significantly affect your overall driving range. Stay warm and enjoy your journey!
2023-5-30
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

I found that that glass did affect the distance the drone could fly.  With the car's other components like engine and metal parts they must interfere with the signal.
2023-5-31
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft
United Kingdom

VLOS must surely be a problem when inside a car!
2023-5-31
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rockbyter Posted at 5-31 09:52
VLOS must surely be a problem when inside a car!

Only if you have  dark tinted glass all round. It also depends on what distance you plan to fly. I flew mine at a place in Pembrokeshire at the weekend from my car because I wanted a bit of shade to see my phone, but still had VLOS through my windscreen as I wasn't flying that far.
2023-5-31
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

djiuser_267jcyL97zif Posted at 2020-12-19 12:06

This may help...

https://madsci.org/posts/archives/2002-03/1015162213.Eg.r.html
2023-6-1
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft
United Kingdom

As far as VLOS goes the top of the windscreen prevents this as soon as it goes overhead.  I for one cannot see through the roof.  If it is behind it is really hard to twist around in order to see the tiny little drone in the distance too.  I know it is not really on topic but I just fail to see any reason to sit in the car and fly.  I know a popular youtuber does this all the time and hardly ever looks at the drone or where it is but at least he has a glass roof.
2023-6-1
Use props
gossi123
lvl.1

Pakistan

Yes, a glass window can affect the range of signals, such as Wi-Fi or radio signals. Glass can partially block or attenuate these signals, resulting in reduced signal strength or quality on the other side of the window. The extent of the impact depends on various factors, including the type of glass and the frequency of the signals.
2023-8-7
Use props
gossi123
lvl.1

Pakistan

Yes, a https://aqglass.com/ can affect the range of signals, such as Wi-Fi or radio signals. Glass can partially block or attenuate these signals, resulting in reduced signal strength or quality on the other side of the window. The extent of the impact depends on various factors, including the type of glass and the frequency of the signals
2023-8-7
Use props
lasanat
lvl.1

Pakistan

The glass within your vehicle functions as an insulator, aiding in the preservation of the warmth produced by your car's heating system. Although it creates a comfortable atmosphere for you, it can slightly influence the range of your electric vehicle. The additional energy needed to uphold a pleasant temperature inside the car might result in a minor decrease in range, in contrast to driving with the heater deactivated or the window open. Nonetheless, this impact is usually negligible and should not notably impact your overall driving range. Stay warm and relish your voyage!
https://aqglassshowerdoorsphoenix.com/
2023-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules