DJI Pocket 2 - Giant Killer?
1869 10 2020-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Foxy Mama
lvl.1

Russia

Do you think that the DJI Pocket 2 can gain a large market from those looking for DSLRs? We can see here that image quality is ALMOST the same with the Sony A7II, which is by far more expensive. Are pocket cameras like these the way to go now and are mirrorless cameras and DSLRs slowly being pushed to the side? I know that gadgets like the Pocket 2 have a long way to go, but with tech advancing nowadays, who knows? Maybe the trend will be smaller and smaller gadgets at least for photography needs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YOkh1iDcQQ

2020-12-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

2020-12-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Here it is with preview!
2020-12-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hard to judge image quality without seeing the image at 100%
2020-12-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

The Pocket 2 and Osmo Pocket are just tools and are a part of a larger whole. While the technology is catching up it still has drawbacks and the limitations of small sensors for some shots based around the sensor size and type of lens it has to use. Yes, it's very good but needs supplementation with other gear if you were thinking of serious production. I would not swap my DSLR for a pocket or the other way around.
I would also like to add a drone for more flexibility.
2020-12-21
Use props
orbmiser
New
United States

"Do you think that the DJI Pocket 2 can gain a large market from those looking for DSLRs? "

Nope as this is apple and oranges thing. Along with varying needs to why a dslr. You have people buy dslr's for no more than taking photos of family & pets and not much beyond what a current cell phone can do. Then there is the photographer enthusiast and pro that knows exactly why they need a dslr whether Dx or Fx and whether mirrorless full frame is required for their needs.

In no way currently can a cell phone or the pocket 2 can capture the dynamic range,low light performance and details that a dslr can in same situation. If all you care about is posting pics on social sites and vblogs and such. Sure the dji products provide a superior capable device that delivers and fits those needs. Even some pro results can be achieved by the skilled in post production editing.

For image needs will always be my Nikon D500 with superior AF and better low light capturing a larger dynamic range for me to edit with in Lightroom.  Also the ability to match lens with what is needed in a given situation gives ultimate in shooting flexibility for images. The pocket 2 creative combo I picked up  is superior to doing video then on my D500 with it's more limited feature set capabilities when it comes to video. Really comes down to having the right tool for the job. And many can't do it all with "One Device to Rule it All" kind of thing.

Maybe some day a postage stamp sized sensor can achieve this and coupled with computational photography can get all the rest of the way there. But don't see that happening for another 3-5yrs or more.

2020-12-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Foxy Mama. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your valued insights with regards to this matter and for posting this interesting video link here at DJI Forum. Again, thank you for your support and please stay safe always.
2020-12-21
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

See https://www.gsmarena.com/quad_ba ... ined-news-37459.php for a very good explanation of what a quad beyer sensor can, and cannot, do.  The "64MP" thing should not be taken too literally.  And I note that the examples in the video were taken in reasonable light.  In less light, no contest.  The DSLR would be bound to win.
2020-12-22
Use props
EukoBegi
lvl.1

United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 2020-12-22 04:56
See https://www.gsmarena.com/quad_bayer_sensors_explained-news-37459.php for a very good explanation of what a quad beyer sensor can, and cannot, do.  The "64MP" thing should not be taken too literally.  And I note that the examples in the video were taken in reasonable light.  In less light, no contest.  The DSLR would be bound to win.

I would have to say that DSLR is superior for almost all factors except maybe two things - price and accessiblity. Like the author mentioned, the Pocket 2 can get a "share" but not ultimately replace it. If consumers looking for "good" cameras have an idea that something like the Pocket 2 exists, why would they buy an expensive, bulky, and complicated device just for regular photos and videos? I think that the Pocket 2 has potential but that would really depend on your specific needs.
2021-1-18
Use props
Horndog2000
lvl.1

Thailand

I must agree the Pocket 2 is definetly a giant killer when it comes to content creation and especially YouTube videos.

I couldn't be happier with the Pocket 2 as a very low profile camera when you want to film a bit concealed and still have a stunning picture and sound quality.

To be honest especially after YouTube compression there is not much of a difference between Sony A7SIII and Pocket 2   4K/60fps footage especially when content matters more than quality.

Just my view...
2021-1-18
Use props
chririva
lvl.3

Poland

If you don't see differences between a pocket 2 and a Sony A7SIII it's because you don't know how to use it
You can't compare pigeons with eagles. Sure, they both know how to fly. They both have wings and a beak ....

2021-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules