11219 39 2020-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have many DJI drones and recently I have been flying my Mini 2 in different locations in the UK but only about 40 miles apart from each other. I am finding that I am requested to calibrate the compass at each of these different locations. Are others finding this, is this normal.

Thanks
2020-12-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bigplumbs. Thank you for reaching out and for this inquiry. DJI recommends to calibrate the compass of your DJI Mini 2 in the following situations when flying outdoor:
1. Flying at a location further than 31 miles ( 50 km ) away from the location the aircraft was last flown.
2. The aircraft has not been flown for more than 30 days.
3. A compass interference warning appears in DJ Fly and/or the aircraft status indicator blinks red and yellow alternately.
Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-12-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-21 22:44
Hello there Bigplumbs. Thank you for reaching out and for this inquiry. DJI recommends to calibrate the compass of your DJI Mini 2 in the following situations when flying outdoor:
1. Flying at a location further than 31 miles ( 50 km ) away from the location the aircraft was last flown.

Many thanks and that is helpful
2020-12-21
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, and it only takes a few seconds.
2020-12-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive had these a few times recently but each time there was metal in the ground at the take off point,  If I went to somewhere Ive flown before the message would go away.   Sea walls and defences seem to be full of metal here in the UK.
2020-12-22
Use props
hhasanain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064308 ft
Saudi Arabia

I get the calibration MSG pretty much before every flight,, and I do it.

the weird thing is, its not as accurate (Direction wise) on the phone in many cases after the calibration. its usually off by 10-20 degrees.   
2020-12-22
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

I have a Mavic Pro, it has never been calibrated, and it did not ask, went to several countries and there were no problems with it...

The Mavic Mini asked for calibration before the first flight, he did not ask for more, he also went with him, without problems, to another country!
2020-12-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is no physical reason that your compass requires recalibration if you move >50 km (or any distance) from the last flight.
Your drone only requests it because DJI have programmed recent models to ask for it.
Only DJI knows why they have done this.
2020-12-22
Use props
mini2grueni
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23222 ft
Germany

Labroides Posted at 12-22 05:06
There is no physical reason that your compass requires recalibration if you move >50 km (or any distance) from the last flight.
Your drone only requests it because DJI have programmed recent models to ask for it.

isn't the magnetic field of the earth changing when you move around ? I mean 50km seems a bit small for a noticeable step, but that combined with local variances in the composition of the underground and architecture seems to make sense to me.

e.g. here is a picture
2020-12-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-22 05:06
Your drone only requests it because DJI have programmed recent models to ask for it.

2020-12-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mini2grueni Posted at 12-22 06:09
isn't the magnetic field of the earth changing when you move around ? I mean 50km seems a bit small for a noticeable step, but that combined with local variances in the composition of the underground and architecture seems to make sense to me.

e.g. here is a picture

Yes, but the compass calibration procedure is to identify the magnetic components in the aircraft's construction, it does not have anything to do with local magnetic variations.
2020-12-22
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You know, in a couple of months since owning the MA2 I have never had to calibrate the compass... literally have never done it or been prompted. Crazy huh.
2020-12-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just did a simple test of my Mini 2. As long as I kept the powered up Mini 2 away from any ferrous metal before flight, It was ok, no compass cal required. But if I came close to a metal oblect while carrying it around while powered, even just momentarily, the compass message came on and stayed on until the drone power was cycled or the calibration was completed. This included a door knob and the metal ring in my 30" landing pad. If the metal ring never came within a few inches of the Mini 2, there was no message, but if the Mini was placed at the edge of the pad, the message appeared and it did not go away just by moving the Mini 2 away. It also appeared if I was carrying both the landing pad/ring and powered-up drone in the same hand.
2020-12-22
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-21 23:12

Even if it wouldn't ask for calibration, is advisable to do so if the zones are geographically apart (more than 20 Km I would say).
Have safe lights!
2020-12-22
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I think that the magnetic heading of the compass rarely need calibrated.  There are some background process related to the orientation arch that seem to be  tied to the compass calibration process on the Mavic Air 2.
2020-12-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Cients Posted at 12-22 16:38
Even if it wouldn't ask for calibration, is advisable to do so if the zones are geographically apart (more than 20 Km I would say).
Have safe lights!

You would only say that if you don't understand what compass calibration actually does.

Compass calibration has nothing at all to do with where the drone is or how far it has moved.
If your drone is flying normally, recalibrating the compass won't do a thing to "improve" anything or make your flights any safer.

I've never calibrated anything on my working drone.
I just drove 2100 km with it and went flying well out to sea yesterday in a 20 knot wind.
Everything worked perfectly, just as it always has for the last 6000 km of flying the drone has done.

2020-12-22
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-22 21:05
You would only say that if you don't understand what compass calibration actually does.
Compass calibration has nothing at all to do with where the drone is or how far it has moved.

Once you have a good Magnetic North heading I agree it should not need recalibrated.  If you are flying in a place with magnetic interference recalibrating the compass will make the magnetic heading correct at ground level but will be completely off once you fly away from the interfering ferric field and your heading will be in accurate in the air.  

What Labroides points out is sound thinking.  The Magnetic Heading has no bearing on the distance measurement as it is derived from GPS.  It simply indicated the direction the drone is facing.  Which is helpful if you lose sight of your drone and want to manually fly it back towards you or to a certain object by orienting it in the correct direction.

But calibrating for the sake of calibrating actually can give you inaccurate information.  Ensure your drones compass is correct by viewing the Arrow on the screen and ensuring it is consistent with the direction your drone is actually facing.  If it is in multiple locations you have good magnetic heading bearing.  

2020-12-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-21 23:12

Hi there Bigplumbs. You are very much welcome and if you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you.
2020-12-22
Use props
mini2grueni
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23222 ft
Germany

Geebax Posted at 12-22 13:16
Yes, but the compass calibration procedure is to identify the magnetic components in the aircraft's construction, it does not have anything to do with local magnetic variations.

ok, I wouldn't know that. Is there a source for this statement ?

I'm just looking at an image of the earth with some magnetic lines and the further north you are the closer to perpendicular they seem to pass though the layer we live in. Also there is maps showing quite some variation over the big landmasses compared to the oceans. I mean the iron containes in rocjks and earth must have an influence as well.
So for me it made sense that the device requests to calibrate and record that where ever you fly.
BTW I tried to add a link to an image to my last post , but the link was somehow vanished (forum rulez maybe ?) google image search for "earth magentic field" will show you what I meant.

cheers Jo
2020-12-23
Use props
djiuser_267jcyL97zif
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15738737 ft
Bulgaria

mini2grueni Posted at 12-23 00:42
ok, I wouldn't know that. Is there a source for this statement ?

I'm just looking at an image of the earth with some magnetic lines and the further north you are the closer to perpendicular they seem to pass though the layer we live in. Also there is maps showing quite some variation over the big landmasses compared to the oceans. I mean the iron containes in rocjks and earth must have an influence as well.

When you calibrate the compas, do you know the exact north? The whole calibration starts and finishes at random position.

2020-12-23
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Portugal

You would only say that if you don't understand what compass calibration actually does.

Although I respect your excellent view Labroides, DJI does recommends the following:

DO CALIBRATE IF...
          -You are far away from where you last calibrated (250 miles or more is a good benchmark).
         - Significant change in terrain (e.g. from grassland to mountains).

Compass calibration on a drone is done to align the drones’ flight system with the Earth’s magnetic north, not its true north. This phenomena is known as magnetic declination and accounts for the Earth’s shifting magnetic field (typically by a large number of degrees to that of true north).
Magnetic declination can vary according to the area on Earth where you are flying.
Calibration should be done when you change the geographic area where you are flying because of different magnetic properties related to the soil, power transmission lines metallic masses and other ferromagnetic fields in the surroundings.
In my case, due to different soil and magnetic properties of the landscape, mountains, beach and water, always perform a calibration whenever I change the area in more than 20 Km and also the Phantom 3 Pro required by itself.

Have nice and safe flights!
2020-12-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_267jcyL97zif Posted at 12-23 01:24
When you calibrate the compas, do you know the exact north? The whole calibration starts and finishes at random position.

Very observant of you to notice that. Few people seem to understand that because the DJI compass calibration procedure starts at a random position, and you do not identify actual north at any time. That is why I maintain that it is NOT a procedure to calibrate the actual compass.
2020-12-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Cients Posted at 12-23 11:01
Although I respect your excellent view Labroides, DJI does recommends the following:

DO CALIBRATE IF...

Although I respect DJI's excellent drone technology, they have been misleading users about compass calibration for years.
Just look at the contradictions across their different manuals to get a hint.

Compass calibration on a drone is done to align the drones’ flight system with the Earth’s magnetic north.
As I said ... Compass calibration has nothing at all to do with where the drone is or how far it has moved.
If your drone is flying normally, recalibrating the compass won't do a thing to "improve" anything or make your flights any safer.

Calibration should be done when you change the geographic area where you are flying because of different magnetic properties related to the soil, power transmission lines metallic masses and other ferromagnetic fields in the surroundings.
This is a common misconception but recalibrating the drone's compass cannot do anything about variations in local magnetic fields, nor should it.
Compass calibration is all about the drone and its own magnetic fields, which cculd otherwise cause the drone's compass to give incorrect readings.

In my case, due to different soil and magnetic properties of the landscape, mountains, beach and water, always perform a calibration whenever I change the area in more than 20 Km and also the Phantom 3 Pro required by itself.
You are wasting your time and effort as well as giving yourself a false sense of security.
If you don't understand what compass calibration actually does, everything you believe about compass calibration is going to be incorrect.
Understanding what compass calibration really does, does help you to fly safer.

2020-12-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You would only say that if you don't understand what compass calibration actually does.

Judging by your Images you have not got any of the Mavic Series of Drones so you would not know would you
2020-12-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-24 05:48
Judging by you Images you have not got any of the Mavic Series of Drones do you would not know would you

Judging by you Images you have not got any of the Mavic Series of Drones do you would not know would you
Judging by your mutilation of the English language, I have no idea what you are actually trying to communicate, but I'll make a guess.

The images you mention are drones that I haven't owned or flown in over 4 years.
What I fly nowdays makes no difference to my considerable understanding of the compass DJI uses and how it works.
What I've stated in this thread is fact.

If you think you know better or that I've made a mistake, please put forward your thoughts (if you are able to).

2020-12-24
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 12-24 17:09
Judging by your mutilation of the English language, I have no idea what you are actually trying to communicate, but I'll make a guess.

Typing errors corrected. If you did not understand Perhaps this will explain.

This thread is about the Mini 2. From your Profile it does not look like you have one of those so how would you know about it. Perhaps confine you comments about drones that you have a lot of experience of. As for 4 Years flying RC......... That is very low many on here have been doing it for decades
2020-12-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-25 00:00
Typing errors corrected. If you did not understand Perhaps this will explain.

This thread is about the Mini 2. From your Profile it does not look like you have one of those so how would you know about it. Perhaps confine you comments about drones that you have a lot of experience of. As for 4 Years flying RC......... That is very low many on here have been doing it for decades

Perhaps confine you comments about drones that you have a lot of experience of.
Perhaps you should confine your comments to subjects that you have some understanding of?

The drones I own and fly aren't shown under my avatar so you have no idea what I fly.
But it's irrelevant since DJI uses the same compass in all their drones and details about compass calibration apply to all of them equally.
Everything I've mentioned about compass calibration is factual.

Rather than churlishly suggesting that I don't know what I'm talking about, how about pointing out any errors in what I've said about compass calibration.
I'd be most interested to hear what you have to say on the topic.
My suspicion is that you would prove that you have no understanding at all.
See if you can prove me wrong.
2020-12-25
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 12-25 03:13
Perhaps confine you comments about drones that you have a lot of experience of.
Perhaps you should confine your comments to subjects that you have some understanding of?

Ok but not interested interested in your views
2020-12-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-25 04:16

You can't get out of it that easily.
A couple of times, you've tried to suggest that I don't know what I'm talking about but can't point any error that I've made.
You're a pig-ignorant troll.
2020-12-25
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Portugal

Labroides Posted at 12-23 13:58
Although I respect DJI's excellent drone technology, they have been misleading users about compass calibration for years.
Just look at the contradictions across their different manuals to get a hint.

Thank you Labroides for your complete contribution.
2020-12-26
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Portugal

GaryDoug Posted at 12-22 15:31
I just did a simple test of my Mini 2. As long as I kept the powered up Mini 2 away from any ferrous metal before flight, It was ok, no compass cal required. But if I came close to a metal oblect while carrying it around while powered, even just momentarily, the compass message came on and stayed on until the drone power was cycled or the calibration was completed. This included a door knob and the metal ring in my 30" landing pad. If the metal ring never came within a few inches of the Mini 2, there was no message, but if the Mini was placed at the edge of the pad, the message appeared and it did not go away just by moving the Mini 2 away. It also appeared if I was carrying both the landing pad/ring and powered-up drone in the same hand.

Very important and accurate information!
Thank you GaryDoug.
2020-12-26
Use props
Mehran Khan
New

Pakistan

Can anyone tell me what is happening right over here, even though my drone is 1-2 meter above the ground and it keep telling me that your drone has reached its maximum altitude.  And aso I've calibrated drone's compass.
2021-9-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

"Can anyone tell me what is happening right over here, even though my  drone is 1-2 meter above the ground and it keep telling me that your  drone has reached its maximum altitude.  And aso I've calibrated drone's  compass."

Nothing to do with compass calibration....as far as I know. How is the GPS? Maybe wait a few more minutes to get an accurate GPS location to remove the limitation. That is what I do.
2021-9-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2020-12-21 22:44

Surely this is misinformation?
Why should any distance make any difference to the compass, unless its to the poles of course..
Why should not being flown for 30 days make any difference?
If the app warns of a compass error, this is normally due to the location of the drone and being close to a form of magnetic interference, just turn it off and move it away from that area and try again, rinse and repeat if needed.
2021-9-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hhasanain Posted at 2020-12-22 01:06
I get the calibration MSG pretty much before every flight,, and I do it.

the weird thing is, its not as accurate (Direction wise) on the phone in many cases after the calibration. its usually off by 10-20 degrees.

Thats because your phone is near the source of interference too (car or structure perhaps), move away from the interference, same with the drone, turn it off and move it away from the source of interference, ie, concrete (rebar), under ground steel pips or live wires. If you keep getting the warning, turn it off, hold the drone at head height and turn it on and wait for the gimbal to stop doing the dance of its people, then you can place it down, should see any more warnings for the power-up.
2021-9-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12445630 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

I travelled from The Netherlands to the NordCape in Norway (via Germany,Denmark,Sweden and Finland) ; with my Mini2 ofcourse.
Never ever  i had to calibrate the compass, not even a single prompt in the FlyApp to do so....

Mini2 performed well.

cheers
JJB
2021-9-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Whoops, I should have read the complete thread 1st, I see Labroides has already beat me to it and got the usual hurranging (typo lol) for it in the process, typical of some members in here.
2021-9-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 2020-12-25 04:16

And we are not interested in your views either.
2021-9-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Guys...anything before post #38 is ancient history ;-)
2021-9-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We're upcycling ;)
2021-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now