Pocket 2 High Framerate Video Quality Issues
5172 21 2020-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Vsk643bzkniQ
lvl.2

Canada

Hello there,
I was a OSMO Pocket owner, just upgraded to Pocket 2 recently. It's a great upgrade, espcially the viewing angle gain and the addition of the control stick.

However, I noticed some serious video quality issue that doesn't exist in the original Pocket. I oberved a big downgrade of video quality when I switch the frame rate to higher than 30 fps, i.e. 48/50/50 fps. It happens no matter what color mode I choose or if the "batter saver" is on/off. Please take a look at below comparison between frame grabs of 4K/30 and 4K/48. (I use 4k/48 because it is the lowest framerate with a 100Mps bitrate). You will notice an obvious loss of resolution and detail. It almost looks like 2.7K video when switch to 4K/48 or higher. This never happens on the original OSMO Pocket. The video quality is consisten under any framerate setting on that machine.
4k30.jpg 4K48.jpg
Another issue is that I can observe serious artifacts when the video frame is fast moving (look at the frame grab below). It gets worse under high framerate settings. Again, you never see such kind of artifacts from the original Pocket.
I think these issues are relate to the codecs. Hopefully DJI will resolve these through firmware upgrade.

Thanks!

Artifacts.jpg

pocket 2 video quality compare.jpg
2020-12-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, djiuser_Vsk643bzkniQ. Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to check further regarding the concern you have submitted. If you could kindly, may you please upload short clips depicting the video quality? You can have it uploaded either in DropBox or GoogleDrive. On the other hand, please be noted that in the actual video encoding, the bitrate will vary according to the scene. For example, the bitrate in a single static scene will be lower and not absolutely fixed. Looking forward to your update.
2020-12-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hope DJI will improve this!
2020-12-23
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

On the 3rd picture frame grab, what is the particular artefact you see ?
2020-12-23
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-23 00:39
Hope DJI will improve this!

Still have my OP's I'll be holding on to them for the foreseeable future. The only reason the P2 has not gone back yet, is that I'm hoping for a firmware update that will address: artifacts, soft video in 4K, missing HDR capability etc.
2020-12-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Gulfstream Posted at 12-23 04:08
Still have my OP's I'll be holding on to them for the foreseeable future. The only reason the P2 has not gone back yet, is that I'm hoping for a firmware update that will address: artifacts, soft video in 4K, missing HDR capability etc.

Keep me posted!
I'm about to buy a P2 next year
2020-12-23
Use props
Nathan.L
lvl.2

Canada

MKosmo Posted at 12-23 04:05
On the 3rd picture frame grab, what is the particular artefact you see ?

They are all over the place in the sky.
2020-12-23
Use props
Nathan.L
lvl.2

Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-23 00:15
Hi, djiuser_Vsk643bzkniQ. Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to check further regarding the concern you have submitted. If you could kindly, may you please upload short clips depicting the video quality? You can have it uploaded either in DropBox or GoogleDrive. On the other hand, please be noted that in the actual video encoding, the bitrate will vary according to the scene. For example, the bitrate in a single static scene will be lower and not absolutely fixed. Looking forward to your update.

Hello DJI Gamora,  

Thanks for your reply. I have sent two video clips to you by PM. They are shot under same condition with different framerates (30fps vs. 48fps).
Also I noticed that the video bitrate is variable. But by average 4K/24/25/30P won't exceed 80Mps and 4K48/50/60P won't exceed 100Mps. Using same 100mps bitrate you won't notice any artifacts in the videos shot by the old Pocket (Actually I never find such obvious artifacts in any H.264 100Mps videos shot by other devices I own).
I hope this is something that can be fixed by firmware. Thanks again.
2020-12-23
Use props
Nathan.L
lvl.2

Canada

Gulfstream Posted at 12-23 04:08
Still have my OP's I'll be holding on to them for the foreseeable future. The only reason the P2 has not gone back yet, is that I'm hoping for a firmware update that will address: artifacts, soft video in 4K, missing HDR capability etc.

Yep. You are wise to keep the OP. I kind of hope I didn't sell it.
2020-12-23
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Nathan.L Posted at 12-23 06:55
They are all over the place in the sky.

Ah ok I get it.  So used to seeing digital artefacts now on YouTube compression etc ... you almost become immune to seeing it.

But if thats a screen grab of the source video, then I agree thats very poor.
2020-12-24
Use props
Nathan.L
lvl.2

Canada

MKosmo Posted at 12-24 04:37
Ah ok I get it.  So used to seeing digital artefacts now on YouTube compression etc ... you almost become immune to seeing it.

But if thats a screen grab of the source video, then I agree thats very poor.

That's indeed a frame grab from a 4K/48P source clip. It looks like something from an extremely low bitrate video (like, lower than 40Mps).
2020-12-24
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

The compression artifacts in the 48fps sample are simply unacceptable, and Pocket 1 surely does not have this problem. I wonder if P2 cranks up the ISO too much at higher frame rates, introducing extra noise that causes the compression problems. Or simply it cannot compress  properly at those speeds. One way or another, it is never nice to see such a step backwards over the original .

2020-12-27
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

There is a freely downloadable tool called MediaInfo that can read the data within a video file that will give you the overall bit rate of the recordings (using the text view in the app,) as well as other parameters. You can then copy and paste them into a reply here to see if the bit rate drops when more frames per second are recorded. On the Osmo Pocket the bit rate remains the same at higher frame rates. It would be interesting to see if that changes on the Pocket 2.
Ray.
2020-12-28
Use props
Nathan.L
lvl.2

Canada

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-28 03:27
There is a freely downloadable tool called MediaInfo that can read the data within a video file that will give you the overall bit rate of the recordings (using the text view in the app,) as well as other parameters. You can then copy and paste them into a reply here to see if the bit rate drops when more frames per second are recorded. On the Osmo Pocket the bit rate remains the same at higher frame rates. It would be interesting to see if that changes on the Pocket 2.
Ray.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try that.
2020-12-28
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Well after recently gaining an OP2, gave it a go at 60 fps.

Wide angle brilliant, gimbal movement smoother, dynamic range minor improvement - but the image quality compared to OP1 is not great. I need to try a lower frame rate to see
if its improved, but I can remark the bit rate was around 98 Mb/s at 60fps using AVC1 codec ( Which is the same as OP1 at the same frame rate)

I'd like to think this will be sorted in a firmware update.

2020-12-31
Use props
Nathan.L
lvl.2

Canada

CemAygun Posted at 2020-12-27 20:41
The compression artifacts in the 48fps sample are simply unacceptable, and Pocket 1 surely does not have this problem. I wonder if P2 cranks up the ISO too much at higher frame rates, introducing extra noise that causes the compression problems. Or simply it cannot compress  properly at those speeds. One way or another, it is never nice to see such a step backwards over the original .

I guess the artifacts are not due to high iso, because they appear in both low framerates and high framerates, even in footages shot under sunlight.
2021-1-2
Use props
Nathan.L
lvl.2

Canada

MKosmo Posted at 2020-12-31 14:59
Well after recently gaining an OP2, gave it a go at 60 fps.

Wide angle brilliant, gimbal movement smoother, dynamic range minor improvement - but the image quality compared to OP1 is not great. I need to try a lower frame rate to see

According to DJI's reply, the drop of image quality in high framerates is due to the pixel binding process. It has to do line skipping to achieve higher framerates I guess.  OP1 has a 12MP sensor, no such problem.
I wonder if Mavic Air 2 has similar problem since it uses a high pixel sensor as well.
2021-1-2
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Nathan.L Posted at 1-2 12:35
According to DJI's reply, the drop of image quality in high framerates is due to the pixel binding process. It has to do line skipping to achieve higher framerates I guess.  OP1 has a 12MP sensor, no such problem.
I wonder if Mavic Air 2 has similar problem since it uses a high pixel sensor as well.

I need to do a video, but unfortunately I’ve found it’s not just the image quality itself......

I’ve noticed a regular blip/ shift in exposure. So at 60fps, you can observe  every second , a frame with different exposure.   So if you watch the RGB parade on your editing software, you can see all the traces do a little bounce every second. ( this is with video , filming a static scene )

Looking at different frame rates, it’s still there but not sure it’s as regular. Need to investigate more.
2021-1-2
Use props
Nathan.L
lvl.2

Canada

MKosmo Posted at 1-2 12:45
I need to do a video, but unfortunately I’ve found it’s not just the image quality itself......

I’ve noticed a regular blip/ shift in exposure. So at 60fps, you can observe  every second , a frame with different exposure.   So if you watch the RGB parade on your editing software, you can see all the traces do a little bounce every second. ( this is with video , filming a static scene )

Didn't expect these from DJI, hopefully can be solved (at least partially) by firmware.
I should have kept my original Pocket for another year.
2021-1-2
Use props
djiuser_wjiUjSHRtgSm
New

United Kingdom

Hello guys, I hope you all great!
So, I actually have the same problems. I bought it a while ago but didn't have chance to look into it better, but I did noticed some issues inn the beginning of my puchase...Anyways.. Low quality video and if filming in low light environment blip/ shift in exposure is so obvious it is just mental..and changing quality doesn't really change anything...videos looks more or less the same
2021-2-9
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

djiuser_wjiUjSHRtgSm Posted at 2-9 12:29
Hello guys, I hope you all great!
So, I actually have the same problems. I bought it a while ago but didn't have chance to look into it better, but I did noticed some issues inn the beginning of my puchase...Anyways.. Low quality video and if filming in low light environment blip/ shift in exposure is so obvious it is just mental..and changing quality doesn't really change anything...videos looks more or less the same

Its disappointing isn't it ?    For what its worth you won't see a problem in 2K7, but you will in 4K.

Please see my post on this very issue you mention with the blip.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=233809

2021-2-11
Use props
JustUser
lvl.1

Ukraine

30 vs 50 fps.jpg
Oh...
Today, just bought pocket 2... 48\50\60 fps... looks bad compared to 30 fps.
Take attention at two things:
1. Circle's under numbers 10\11 are deformed. At 60 fps they are no longer circles.
2. It is possible to read numbers from 6 to 40 at left side (30 fps) but not at right side.
Just in case, that is A4 paper recorded at distance 2 meters and ISO 100.
Link to document with resolution test:
2023-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules