941 3 2020-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone AV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 246650 ft
Hong Kong

Dear Forum,

Is there a way to find out the wind speed or the impact of wind speed to a flight , while during a flight ?

I read online that wind could drain the battery during a return flight and prevent it from return.

How can I tell there is a strong wind during a flight ?

Wind speed and wind direction can vary with altitude.   Does the camera view of DJI GO 4 Pro has an indication of wind during a flight ?

Thanks,
Sam.
2020-12-23
Use props
Drone AV
lvl.3
United States

Any answer ?

Thanks
Sam.
2021-2-2
Use props
RK7dronzy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2278898 ft
United Kingdom

Drone AV Posted at 2-2 16:51
Any answer ?

Thanks

When flying my mavic2 the app tells me if the aircraft is experiencing high winds but that is only a warning to land safely, but it does not tell you the wind speed. Best practice is to not fly downwind in those conditions so that you have the wind behind you on the return path. I have got more confident over time when flying in those conditions. 20mph seem ok its the gusts that could be a problem. I have seen a vid where they were using a leaf blower which is blasting out 50mph wind and the mavic was quite stable hovering. Best check weather forcasts for approx wind speed and look at the trees for indications.
Beaufort scale of wind speed.
2021-2-18
Use props
Drone AV
lvl.3
Hong Kong

There are 2 problems : 1) the local variation of weather from online weather report (including wind and wind speed), especially in open wilderness and mountainous areas.  2) the variation of wind speed at different altitude.

Recently, I had tried to fly the P4Pv2    4 miles away from me.  But after 2 miles, the battery was already half used.  I barely could get it back.   Around me the wind is very mild at a hill top.  But not sure the wind condition when it flew over a small island below me 2 miles away.

On a separate occasion, I was on a mountain top about 9000 ft, there was some wind (but no more than 20 miles per hour I guess), and my P4Pv2 was pushed in the air.  So, I dared not to fly it out away from me.  I just flew up and down near me.    I doubt it can survive a wind of 50 miles per hour in a natural situation.

Thanks
Sam.

Thanks for your sharing.
Sam.
2021-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules