Issue with Osmo Action Stop and Restarts Randomly
6135 29 2020-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

Hey guys, anyone else have an issue with thier Osmo suddenly stopping the video record, and then say 20 minutes later starts all on it's own?  I run an Osmo Action that is plugged in to a USB power supply for recording video on my fishing boat.  It will run fine for an hour, then I will hear the Osmo chime that it has stopped recording and the red light stops blinking.  I'll leave it alone and then 5 to 20 minutes later it will chime that it's started to record and the red light will blink.  I'm using 128GB Sandisk Extreme cards shooting at 2.7k 60fps.  My GP 7 doesn't seem to have this issue but I prefer the Osmo on the boat and my GP as the chest cam.

Any idea why it's doing this?  Here's a screenshot of a day of shooting.. you can see the smaller files, which are the videos that cut off and then the next file restarted.

Capture.JPG

I disabled voice commends thinking maybe the wind was messing with the commands and it thought I was saying stop recording/start recording but it did not help.  Hopefully I can solve this because it's a massive pain in the butt syncing my videos with the external audio every time I get one of these weird stop/starts.

Thanks!
Dan
2020-12-23
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Italy

Mine is not showing this behaviour.
Have you tried to see if this is happening also without usb power supply?
It could be the power supply not enough powerful...maybe.
2020-12-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Faken. Thanks for reaching out! As per your description, you only encountered this when using an external power supply. It is suggested to test it out first using a battery to confirm whether it is indeed related to your external power supply. Please keep us updated on your tests so we can offer possible solutions. Looking forward to your response.
2020-12-26
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

test your memory card to see if it have the speeds it is supposed to have
2020-12-26
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-26 03:17
Hi, Faken. Thanks for reaching out! As per your description, you only encountered this when using an external power supply. It is suggested to test it out first using a battery to confirm whether it is indeed related to your external power supply. Please keep us updated on your tests so we can offer possible solutions. Looking forward to your response.

I just tested it today on battery alone, and it did it twice, so it looks like it is not related to using an external power supply.  Not sure what else to do...  I ordered another brand of SD Card (Samsung) and will try that plus I will factory reset and SD Card upgrade to the latest firmware and test again.  This is really weird...

Dan
2020-12-26
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

peiter Posted at 12-26 07:26
test your memory card to see if it have the speeds it is supposed to have

I didn't test the transfer rate on my cards but I am using Sandisk Extreme and Gigastone 4K Ultras.  I am going to try a Samsung Evo Select u3 next.
2020-12-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Faken Posted at 12-26 14:29
I just tested it today on battery alone, and it did it twice, so it looks like it is not related to using an external power supply.  Not sure what else to do...  I ordered another brand of SD Card (Samsung) and will try that plus I will factory reset and SD Card upgrade to the latest firmware and test again.  This is really weird...

Dan

Please have it tested. Should the same problem persists, please let us know the current version of your Osmo Action and if possible to add, kindly attach a video depicting the issue. Thank you!
2020-12-26
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

Finally tested the SD Cards, definitely an issue with slow cards.  I tried the Samsung card with write speeds hitting 88mb/s and the issue completely vanished   Thanks!
2021-1-7
Use props
legaleye3000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73734 ft
United States

Hello - I just had the same problem today when going skiing. I skiied for a couple of hours and learned that my camera was off when I was done skiing. When I looked on the sd card, it looked like there was only about 3 minutes of video taken. Battery was fully charged, latest firmware, and my sd card is a Sandisk Extreme Pro, which specs exceed the requirements and has 256gb. Also, sd card was empty before I started the recording. Any ideas appreciated.
2021-2-13
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

legaleye3000 Posted at 2-13 20:18
Hello - I just had the same problem today when going skiing. I skiied for a couple of hours and learned that my camera was off when I was done skiing. When I looked on the sd card, it looked like there was only about 3 minutes of video taken. Battery was fully charged, latest firmware, and my sd card is a Sandisk Extreme Pro, which specs exceed the requirements and has 256gb. Also, sd card was empty before I started the recording. Any ideas appreciated.

Do you use a U3 card? Bought from ebay/amazon?
2021-2-14
Use props
sandro87
lvl.1

Italy

Faken Posted at 1-7 08:11
Finally tested the SD Cards, definitely an issue with slow cards.  I tried the Samsung card with write speeds hitting 88mb/s and the issue completely vanished   Thanks!
Hi, did changing the card solve the issue completely or did it happen again with the Samsung card?
I'm having the exact same issue and it seems to happen with 2.7k60 mode only.
2021-3-10
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

sandro87 Posted at 3-10 14:28
Hi, did changing the card solve the issue completely or did it happen again with the Samsung card?
I'm having the exact same issue and it seems to happen with 2.7k60 mode only.

No issues since I stopped using the cheaper Gladstone brand cards.  Running the Samsung or the Sandisk Extreme cards completely resolved the issue.  I did a video on my speed testing if you want to check it out:

2021-3-10
Use props
sandro87
lvl.1

Italy

Faken Posted at 3-10 15:17
No issues since I stopped using the cheaper Gladstone brand cards.  Running the Samsung or the Sandisk Extreme cards completely resolved the issue.  I did a video on my speed testing if you want to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE3QTWbp5zk

Hey thanks for the update. However I'm confused about why the card write speed was the issue.
In the first post you said you were using the SanDisk Extreme and that you were having the issue with that card as well and now you say that using the SanDisk card resolved the issue?
I'm also using the same card with write speeds over 70MB/s which is comparable with the Samsung Evo Select and still have the issue...

Are you still recording in 2.7k 60fps? As I said it seems to happen only in this recording mode.
2021-3-11
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

sandro87 Posted at 3-11 01:19
Hey thanks for the update. However I'm confused about why the card write speed was the issue.
In the first post you said you were using the SanDisk Extreme and that you were having the issue with that card as well and now you say that using the SanDisk card resolved the issue?  
I'm also using the same card with write speeds over 70MB/s which is comparable with the Samsung Evo Select and still have the issue...

Sorry I messed up in my first post, I was actually using Gigastone in that camera (I have Sandisk and Gigastone and the colors look identical).  Once I switched to the Sandisk or Samsung, the issue went away.  I've shot 8 hour days ice fishing with the Osmo Action connected to an external power source and no issues.
2021-3-11
Use props
sandro87
lvl.1

Italy

Oh OK, thanks for the clarification. It's weird cause I'm having the issue with same SanDisk you're using I'm gonna try with a Samsung card then.
2021-3-12
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

sandro87 Posted at 3-12 07:28
Oh OK, thanks for the clarification. It's weird cause I'm having the issue with same SanDisk you're using  I'm gonna try with a Samsung card then.

Speed test your Sandisk and see if it hits 80+ Mb/s, you may have a fake card perhaps?  The market is flooded with them, I even got one from a popular vendor on Amazon lol!
2021-3-12
Use props
sandro87
lvl.1

Italy

I get 98MB/s.
2021-3-12
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have been using mine as dashcam sometimes and have seen this behaviour, I wondered if it had got too hot but it seemed to reboot and restart recording on its own which was unexpected.
Since the last firmware update I haven't noticed it do it so perhaps a known issue was resolved.
2021-3-17
Use props
PCBdronepilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12864 ft
United States

Mine did the same to me last week when I was  flying down the beach, and again today when I was testing it during a 45 minute drive.  It seems to record for 15:30, and then starts another video immediately.  I am using a sandisk extreme plus 64gb u3.  I will try a Samsung Evo card tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.
2021-3-18
Use props
hgdrn
lvl.1
Germany

I've been using the DJI Osmo Action for about five months without any problem, but today it drove me nuts. Three times it stopped after 11 seconds (see the 51.0 MB files on the right side) without any reason.

I used it as a dashcam on a bike with 1080p / 25 fps and RockSteady as I've been using it ever since the first time. Last time I recorded more than five hours at higher temperatures without any problems (see left side).

Today it stopped 11 seconds after the start. I manually pressed the record button again after some minutes when I noticed that the LED wasn't flashing anymore. Then it recorded 3.2 GB and stopped again. I thought of a battery problem and changed the battery. Then it recorded the DJI_0074* files until I heard the melody while it stopped recording again. I pressed the record button and it continued recording (the DJI_0075 files.

Then it stopped again. OK, I tried the first battery again, and yes, it still had more than 80% capacity, thus, that wasn't a battery problem before DJI_0074. With the first battery inserted the camera recorded the DJI_0076 files before it stopped without any cause, again.

Two further tries, pressing the record button, failed after exactly 11 seconds and 51.0 MB. (0077 and 0078). Some minutes later the camera continued recording by itself - I didn't press anything. And, I don't know why: DJI_0079 is missing.

Very, very, very strange.

I've now formatted the SD card and will keep investigating.

2021-5-13
Use props
hgdrn
lvl.1
Germany

hgdrn Posted at 5-13 09:12
I've been using the DJI Osmo Action for about five months without any problem, but today it drove me nuts. Three times it stopped after 11 seconds (see the 51.0 MB files on the right side) without any reason.

I used it as a dashcam on a bike with 1080p / 25 fps and RockSteady as I've been using it ever since the first time. Last time I recorded more than five hours at higher temperatures without any problems (see left side).

Update: Next ride, next problems. Recording started, after one or two minutes it stopped. While cycling I heard the bell sound and it started recording itself again, and stopped again just a minute or two later again. Then I realized some minutes later that the LED was constantly green. When I stopped and dismounted it from the bike I saw "English" on the screen (language setup). It seems to have resetted itself!? I changed all settings to those I have used before and started recording again. And this time all the rest of the ride has been recorded without any problems. I'm quite confused.
2021-5-20
Use props
hgdrn
lvl.1
Germany

Update: Next ride, same problems and new problems. After havng started the recording, the cam restarted four times. I used 1080p / 25fps with Rock Steady activated. The cam recorded the first MP4 with an unstabilized video. After randomly having stopped recording itself and recording the next video, that second video came with stabelization. This drives me nuts.
But it's even getting better: Three times today RockSteady got deactivated right from one second to another: Smooth video, and just one second later there's no stabilization used anymore.

Four hours of recording for the trash bin, 50 GB of recorded crap. Thanks DJI for even ignoring these postings.
2021-5-24
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

It may be best you open a new thread of your issue , it may be best to  get with chat about servicing the camera

to all did you  try correctly placing  new firmware on,  and reflashing the firmware, but do you know how, that is the question, it is not about loading in and two seconds it flashed,
2021-5-24
Use props
hgdrn
lvl.1
Germany

Fishycomics Posted at 5-24 10:37
It may be best you open a new thread of your issue , it may be best to  get with chat about servicing the camera

to all did you  try correctly placing  new firmware on,  and reflashing the firmware, but do you know how, that is the question, it is not about loading in and two seconds it flashed,

Yes, I flashed the current firmare, sure. I'll try to chat with the support now...
Edit: Chatted with online support, will return the camera now for further investigations, it seems to be a hardware problem.
2021-5-25
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

things do happen, if you waited for DJI to  tell you here, at least you are a step ahead of them, then you waiting for them
2021-5-25
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The last firmware update seems to have stopped mine sometimes doing this, it also appears to better manage buffering (or something) where it would sometimes say card is not fast enough after recording perfectly happily for an hour or more then shut down.
2021-5-26
Use props
Anuch Mewada
lvl.1

India

#dji osmo action 4

Just purchased DJi osmo action 4, that day it started smoothly but 2 nd day memorable card got undetectable and after that once switching off it again gets restart after 2 min. Is there anyone who can help for same.
2023-9-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Anuch Mewada Posted at 9-19 01:26
#dji osmo action 4

Just purchased DJi osmo action 4, that day it started smoothly but 2 nd day memorable card got undetectable and after that once switching off it again gets restart after 2 min. Is there anyone who can help for same.

Hello there. Sorry about the inconvenience. I just need to confirm, is it not the "Auto Power Off" logic wherein the duration can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 min, and 30 min?
2023-9-19
Use props
Anuch Mewada
lvl.1

India

DJI Tony Posted at 9-19 03:47
Hello there. Sorry about the inconvenience. I just need to confirm, is it not the "Auto Power Off" logic wherein the duration can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 min, and 30 min?
No it's not that kind offf. Once switching it off it automatically restarts again after few minutes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-67qXgU5BQDIkZZxgzehMjWGb6rMqwy2/view?usp=drivesdk

Check the link I have created video off the same
2023-9-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Anuch Mewada Posted at 9-30 03:16
No it's not that kind offf. Once switching it off it automatically restarts again after few minutes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-67qXgU5BQDIkZZxgzehMjWGb6rMqwy2/view?usp=drivesdk

Hi, Anuch. Thank you for the added information. If the SD card cannot be recognized by your Action 4. Please try replacing it with an SD card that is on the recommended list:

In regards to the "auto power-on" issue, please try removing the SD card, checking if the camera is on the latest version, and resetting the camera. Please keep me posted. Thank you for your patience.
2023-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules