At what distance does the FPV CONTROLLER failsafe
2541 9 2020-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
2N5R
lvl.1

Germany

Hello people :-)Just curios: At what distance does the DJI FPV Controller (NOT the video feed) approximately failsafe? When does the control link fail?
I managed 4 KM and had 2 out of 4 bars left, however they were blinking red.

Anybody tried it out?

2020-12-24
Use props
mc54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

Ignore the blinking red signal strength lights, they are incorrect.  Only pay attention to your Mbps in the bottom right corner.  I fly out 2.5 miles regularly and my Mbps rarely goes under 40.  Under 10 is the danger zone.

Keep in mind your range is dependent on having a clear shot between you and your quad. If trees or mountain ridges get in the way, you can lose signal.
2020-12-24
Use props
2N5R
lvl.1

Germany

Thanks for your answer, but as I said, I do not mean the video feed. I mean the control link.
2020-12-24
Use props
mc54
Second Officer

United States

Same difference.  When using the DJI controller, if your video is degrading your control link starts getting laggy as well.   They aren't two separate signals like when using Crossfire and a separate VTX.

2020-12-24
Use props
Kreeze
lvl.4

United States

there's not a specific distance, it really depends on what is in between you and the quad, but i have NEVER failsafed while using the dji controller and the goggles. the video feed has always gone out before the control
2020-12-24
Use props
flyfpv2020
lvl.2
Flight distance : 114206 ft
United States

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to TBS crossfire. It'll save you money on lost drones in the future and has a significantly better distance and penetration.
2020-12-24
Use props
mc54
Second Officer

United States

I flew crossfire for over 3 years, and I don't think crossfire gives you an improvement in range or penetration over DJI.  Keep in mind, I fly using TrueRC X-Airs on the goggles and Axii 2 antennas on the drone.  At all my long distance spots under 3 miles out, I've found the DJI system performed similarly.  I get out to about the same distance, and experience simular signal drop in the same places with both systems.  Maybe for extreme distance of over 3 miles I'd go with crossfire, but short of that I don't see the need.  
2020-12-24
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Flight distance : 915233 ft
Croatia

flyfpv2020 Posted at 12-24 21:25
Do yourself a favor and upgrade to TBS crossfire. It'll save you money on lost drones in the future and has a significantly better distance and penetration.

How do you explain the fact I haven't had a single failsafe with DJI radio yet and my Crossfire would regularly failsafe with perfect video?
2020-12-25
Use props
flyfpv2020
lvl.2
Flight distance : 114206 ft
United States

fichek Posted at 12-25 16:29
How do you explain the fact I haven't had a single failsafe with DJI radio yet and my Crossfire would regularly failsafe with perfect video?

I would say that I have had different experiences, and lucky you!
2020-12-28
Use props
mc54
Second Officer

United States

I've found that regardless of system (HD of Analog), RF performance depends greatly on antenna choice and placement.

If your setup is underperforming, consider different antennas and placement on the quad. For example, the DJI system comes with average antennas, but bumping up to some TrueRC X-Air antennas on the goggles and Luminer Axii-2 antennas on the drone can significant improvements in range and signal strength.  Then, mount your drones antennas so as to minimize obstruction by the frame and battery (although this might also make them more prone to breaking in a crash).  
2020-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules