Residential / tall trees MM / M2
571 10 2020-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

I'm still new to flying.  This fall I almost had a flyaway. I get a little paranoid when I loose sight if I look away and my right eye has a vision problem on dead center (scar dead center on retina.
I am paranoid because I've heard so many story's of signal loss. I live in a subdivision with tall oaks trees 100' so I'm worried about loosing signal. I have no intentions of trying for distance flying.
So I'm wondering if I should go to the mini 2 because of the ocu synk 2.0.
Right now I have the MM but don't k ow if I should go to the Mini 2.
I would keep the MM just for local close flying.
So would I be better off with the mini 2.
How far distance wise would I get with the mini 2. It's not really heavy on trees but there are homes .
2020-12-25
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Learn to trust loss of signal induced RTH.  It's almost rare for me to fly around my neighborhood without losing signal due to Wifi.  That's just the reality of flying in a fairly dense residential area.  Make sure you have a RTH altitude that is high enough to get over the nearby objects (trees, power lines, etc) and watch out for high winds so if the drone climbs it does not get into winds that it can't handle.  Around home, my RTH altitude is normally 125 feet, which is about twice as high as it needs to be.  However I am frequently flying higher than that to keep noise down (if no one knows I'm there, so much the better).  Normally if I lose signal and my Mini initiates a RTH, I get the signal back before it gets overhead.  Then cancel the RTH and continue whatever flying I had planned.  BTW, get in the habit of using the RTH cancel button on the remote rather than one one on screen.  That way, if the phone app locks up, your habit will be to use the remote which should still be working.
2020-12-25
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I agree with our assessment of the situation. Given the obstructions, trees, short distance flights and vision limitations upgrading to Occusync 2.0 will have little affect on signal at that close range. You also provided the essential point of setting the RTH above the trees.
2020-12-25
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I agree with our assessment of the situation. Given the obstructions, trees, short distance flights and vision limitations upgrading to Occusync 2.0 will have little affect on signal at that close range. You also provided the essential point of setting the RTH above the trees.
2020-12-25
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

K6CCC Posted at 12-25 18:06
Learn to trust loss of signal induced RTH.  It's almost rare for me to fly around my neighborhood without losing signal due to Wifi.  That's just the reality of flying in a fairly dense residential area.  Make sure you have a RTH altitude that is high enough to get over the nearby objects (trees, power lines, etc) and watch out for high winds so if the drone climbs it does not get into winds that it can't handle.  Around home, my RTH altitude is normally 125 feet, which is about twice as high as it needs to be.  However I am frequently flying higher than that to keep noise down (if no one knows I'm there, so much the better).  Normally if I lose signal and my Mini initiates a RTH, I get the signal back before it gets overhead.  Then cancel the RTH and continue whatever flying I had planned.  BTW, get in the habit of using the RTH cancel button on the remote rather than one one on screen.  That way, if the phone app locks up, your habit will be to use the remote which should still be working.

Everything you have mentioned is what I have been doing. If I could get a mile or two I’d be happy.
I have some friends that live about that far away .
How far are you getting from your home point.
I do understand the higher I fly the better signal wise.
Being able to go 2 miles would be ideal.
I do understand visual sight.
Doug
2020-12-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

when i first started flying, what i found valuable was to spend the day in a remote area and practice nothing but rth.  this comes in the form of flying your drone as far as you can until it loses signal, disconnecting your mobile, turning off your remote, using the rth buttons, and putting your drone behind things....all to invoke rth and gain confidence this drone will almost always somehow find it's way home.  i understand not everyone has all day to experiment or big wide open spaces to play in but it makes all the difference in the world to know rth and after a drone model or two of practicing, you start to feel alot better about throwing your drone around the neighborhood; when you know you can bail out if you have to.  yep, tall trees, and buildings, and people's houses are a real thing but after awhile it starts to become no fun if all you do while flying is worry.
2020-12-25
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-25 20:17
when i first started flying, what i found valuable was to spend the day in a remote area and practice nothing but rth.  this comes in the form of flying your drone as far as you can until it loses signal, disconnecting your mobile, turning off your remote, using the rth buttons, and putting your drone behind things....all to invoke rth and gain confidence this drone will almost always somehow find it's way home.  i understand not everyone has all day to experiment or big wide open spaces to play in but it makes all the difference in the world to know rth and after a drone model or two of practicing, you start to feel alot better about throwing your drone around the neighborhood; when you know you can bail out if you have to.  yep, tall trees, and buildings, and people's houses are a real thing but after awhile it starts to become no fun if all you do while flying is worry.

Thank you. I have used RTH a few times and have had my drone since about July.  And just wish I knew the limits it will do before I finely loose total signal.  I understand that the M2 will also loose signal at one point. I don’t have large fields to head out over and am not to happy about going out over water.
I was thinking of getting the M2 just for long flights and keeping my. MM for local parks.
Just trying to figure out how much distance I would get in normal suburbs. I can move around to a better angle starting point where there is less trees at times.
Doug
2020-12-25
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
United States

When I am flying around my neighborhood, the absolute longest distance  have managed was 4200 feet - and to do that I was flying in a carefully selected diretion and time of day.  If I fly to the southwest, I only get a couple hundred yards.  Most directions are between 1000 and 1500 feet.  My limitation is WiFi interference.
As for height vs range, that depends a lot on what is limiting the range.  If it's objects in the way, generally higher is better.  If it's WiFi interference, the higher you go, the more interference your drone is receiving.
BTW, my absolute distance record with my Mini was in the middle of nowhere in the So. Calif. desert.  I flew out about 7,000 feet and was still receiving fine.  Only reason I stopped was that I was entering an area where I could not enter to retrieve the drone should that need arise.  Going the other directions was flying over a military base - so DID NOT GO THERE!  At 7,000 feet, I had no problem seeing the strobes on the drone, but in the dark, I could not see the drone itself until it got pretty close.
2020-12-26
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

K6CCC Posted at 12-26 09:05
When I am flying around my neighborhood, the absolute longest distance  have managed was 4200 feet - and to do that I was flying in a carefully selected diretion and time of day.  If I fly to the southwest, I only get a couple hundred yards.  Most directions are between 1000 and 1500 feet.  My limitation is WiFi interference.
As for height vs range, that depends a lot on what is limiting the range.  If it's objects in the way, generally higher is better.  If it's WiFi interference, the higher you go, the more interference your drone is receiving.
BTW, my absolute distance record with my Mini was in the middle of nowhere in the So. Calif. desert.  I flew out about 7,000 feet and was still receiving fine.  Only reason I stopped was that I was entering an area where I could not enter to retrieve the drone should that need arise.  Going the other directions was flying over a military base - so DID NOT GO THERE!  At 7,000 feet, I had no problem seeing the strobes on the drone, but in the dark, I could not see the drone itself until it got pretty close.

Ok thank you. I wish I had bigger open areas to fly but don’t.  So I’m still trying to decide on what I will do on getting the mint 2. I do like some of the options on it.
Thank You.
Doug
2020-12-26
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
United States

I have no current plans to upgrade from my Mini to a Mini 2.  One of these days I may upgrade to a higher capabilities drone.  If I were to do that today, it would almost certainly be to a MA2, but I'm kind of waiting to see what a Mavic 3 Pro ends up being (hopefully the best of the M2 Pro and the MA 2.  We'll see.  There is a possibility that work may buy a Mini 2 and pay for my Part 107 license.
I also don't have much in the way of big open areas that I can fly in without traveling.  However, that is not really what I bought it for.  Most of my "purpose" flying is within 100 yards.
2020-12-27
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

K6CCC Posted at 12-27 11:34
I have no current plans to upgrade from my Mini to a Mini 2.  One of these days I may upgrade to a higher capabilities drone.  If I were to do that today, it would almost certainly be to a MA2, but I'm kind of waiting to see what a Mavic 3 Pro ends up being (hopefully the best of the M2 Pro and the MA 2.  We'll see.  There is a possibility that work may buy a Mini 2 and pay for my Part 107 license.
I also don't have much in the way of big open areas that I can fly in without traveling.  However, that is not really what I bought it for.  Most of my "purpose" flying is within 100 yards.

2020-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules