700 14 2020-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looking to buy a foldup drone to go inside my DSLR bag so that all my photography equipment is in one place.

The MA2 seems to offer all the features/spec I will need (currently I'm flying a P4A+) but for those that currently own the Air 2 I was wondering if there is anything that makes you wish you had purchased the Mavic 2 Pro instead?  The 1 inch camera sensor on the Pro 2 might be an obvious one but is there anything else?
2020-12-26
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The main issue is the MP2 is almost 3 years old at this point. So it's that much closer to being orphaned by DJI which is what they do to all their products. They first quit updating the firmware, then finally quit making whatever it is altogether, and then it kind of dies out  through general lack of support.
That'll happen to the MA2 eventually also, but it's 2 years newer so it has a little longer lifespan at this point than the MP2 and you'll get a little more use out of it. That's why I didn't get an MP2.

As for what would have made me prefer the MP2, it's really only the camera and 10bit color. It's also slightly larger and heavier, so it can handle wind slightly better. But in all other respects the MP2 is on the back side of the technology curve over against the MA2....
2020-12-26
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

All good points on what Luciens said about MP2 being much older now, but besides having the bigger sensor over the MA2 and improved controller and technology I'm not regretting it. In addition the obstacle avoidance is a plus and if you're in the US having ADS-B recognition is a good safety feature or whatever it does to recognize nearby aircrafts. Unless you really want a smaller footprint in your bag the next closest photo/video tool would be the Mini2.
2020-12-26
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The ADS-B receiver is a good feature and it'll get more and more useful as more manned aircraft become equipped with ADS-B transponders. I got out of manned aviation right as the ADS-B effort was starting to ramp up. the cost of compliance was projected to be huge at the time and it probably still is, so a lot of aircraft still don't have them. But slowly over time, the FAA will get its way.... .

Just yesterday I got overflown by several aircraft, and my MA2 warned me about one of them... so I know it works if the aircraft is equipped...

2020-12-26
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The big thing missing from the Mavic Air 2 is WayPoints.  WayPoints can only be used in Hyperlapse with Mavic Air 2.  Hopefully DJI will expand the feature to other photo and video modes.  That is my only real complaint.
2020-12-26
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the input guys, another possibility for me could be to buy a Mini 2.  Although it's not as feature rich as some of the bigger birds as of 31st December it can legally be flown in built up areas, towns/cities etc. within the UK because it will be classed as an A1 Legacy drone.  So the choice is simple - better drone but more restricted flying or MM2 and fly 'within reason' anywhere.
2020-12-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As youre in the UK Id wait until DJI release a drone with CE classification, otherwise you'll be legally limited to where you can fly on the 1st Jan unless you get a Mini and I suspect your requirement for picture quality is higher than the mini offers.
2020-12-27
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-27 02:03
As youre in the UK Id wait until DJI release a drone with CE classification, otherwise you'll be legally limited to where you can fly on the 1st Jan unless you get a Mini and I suspect your requirement for picture quality is higher than the mini offers.

To be fair I've looked over some edited DNG's from the Mini 2 and the image quality is quite acceptable to me - granted it's not what my Phantom 4 Advanced can produce but still good considering the price point.

Unfortunately there's no telling when DJI will release the new birds with CE markings, it would be great to have something like an Air 2 that could be flown as the MM2 can be on the 1st January 2021.  
2020-12-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

helidan Posted at 12-27 02:12
To be fair I've looked over some edited DNG's from the Mini 2 and the image quality is quite acceptable to me - granted it's not what my Phantom 4 Advanced can produce but still good considering the price point.

Unfortunately there's no telling when DJI will release the new birds with CE markings, it would be great to have something like an Air 2 that could be flown as the MM2 can be on the 1st January 2021.

Theres been a really mix of people complaining about the image quality on the forum,  in ideal conditions it seems very acceptable but in lower light its not so good.   I have the M2P and will continue to fly it as before until a CE marked drone is available and then I may "upgrade".
2020-12-27
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-27 02:18
Theres been a really mix of people complaining about the image quality on the forum,  in ideal conditions it seems very acceptable but in lower light its not so good.   I have the M2P and will continue to fly it as before until a CE marked drone is available and then I may "upgrade".

I've read mixed reviews myself, in all honesty I think sometimes people have unreasonable expectations of the tech they buy.  Back to the MM argument I think most photographers would rather 'get the shot' even if it's subpar than come away with nothing at all.  I feel the Mini alongside the new regs is a combo many flyers will be happy with, certainly not perfect but presents a lot more opportunity.
2020-12-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

helidan Posted at 12-27 02:26
I've read mixed reviews myself, in all honesty I think sometimes people have unreasonable expectations of the tech they buy.  Back to the MM argument I think most photographers would rather 'get the shot' even if it's subpar than come away with nothing at all.  I feel the Mini alongside the new regs is a combo many flyers will be happy with, certainly not perfect but presents a lot more opportunity.

As you already have a drone,  I would wait until the Mavic 3 is launched which is probably not going to be too long,  I would suspect the M3 will be the same size as the MA2 with the better output and all the other features that are missing.   I will need to be smaller/lighter to meet the new EU regulations.   
2020-12-27
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-27 02:33
As you already have a drone,  I would wait until the Mavic 3 is launched which is probably not going to be too long,  I would suspect the M3 will be the same size as the MA2 with the better output and all the other features that are missing.   I will need to be smaller/lighter to meet the new EU regulations.

Certainly an option but the weight of the P4A imposes essentially the same restrictions as before, I suppose I could keep it for more remote/coastal work and use a Mini for casual stuff.
2020-12-27
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

helidan Posted at 12-27 01:03
Thanks for the input guys, another possibility for me could be to buy a Mini 2.  Although it's not as feature rich as some of the bigger birds as of 31st December it can legally be flown in built up areas, towns/cities etc. within the UK because it will be classed as an A1 Legacy drone.  So the choice is simple - better drone but more restricted flying or MM2 and fly 'within reason' anywhere.

The biggest drawback of the Mini is going to be the wind resistance. If you live in a windy area, this will get really frustrating really quick. It's a teeny tiny aircraft without a lot of top speed, so you may find yourself grounded a lot of the time when the wind is blowing.

My MA2 can handle pretty decent winds and the MP2 would probably be slightly better as it's a little bigger and heavier.

2020-12-27
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

luciens Posted at 12-27 08:09
The biggest drawback of the Mini is going to be the wind resistance. If you live in a windy area, this will get really frustrating really quick. It's a teeny tiny aircraft without a lot of top speed, so you may find yourself grounded a lot of the time when the wind is blowing.

My MA2 can handle pretty decent winds and the MP2 would probably be slightly better as it's a little bigger and heavier.

Fair comment but one big plus for the Mini is that it can fly 'almost' anywhere in accordance with the new European rules coming in on the 31st December.  Mini is no Phantom but seems reasonably happy with wind around 15 knots.  
2020-12-27
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

helidan Posted at 12-27 08:27
Fair comment but one big plus for the Mini is that it can fly 'almost' anywhere in accordance with the new European rules coming in on the 31st December.  Mini is no Phantom but seems reasonably happy with wind around 15 knots.

True, and good point... in the US it doesn't require registration either, which was why I was thinking about getting one. But I've already registered my MA2 so now it doesn't make any difference .

It sure looks like fun, though. Super small and portable and tiny enough that it won't be disturbingly loud etc. Though the MA2 is really nice and quiet....

2020-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules