MM2 Disappointed
1812 23 2020-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I received a MM2 for Xmas and set it up today. Charged batteries, updated firmware and went out for a quick flight to test.
The video is awful, it has a white haze all around it and I thought I left a protection film on the lens but no.
It's 25F degrees out so I'm guessing it's moisture on the lens, it would have to be on the inside of the lens because it's not on the outside.
I did attempt to post the video but the file is too large even though it's a short clip.
I also had numerous errors and at first it would not let me fly but they did clear and I was able to take off.

I find it stange that the power button is on the bottom so when I turn it on I'm holding it sideways and received an IMU error, when I put it down it cleared and was reading normal.
I also had a compass calibration pop up and I let it sit where I put it and that also cleared and was normal.

I find this drone very loud, to me, much more than the MA2.

I could be comparing apples to oranges but I absolutly love my MA2, zero issues and always normal with no calibration requests.
I will give the MM2 one more chance but I will not be performing the calibration dance, if the video is hazed or multiple warnings it will be returned.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Update, tried another flight, motors would not start, errors.
Brought into the house, had ten satellites, motors started, one pop up were I had to sign off to fly do to low light conditions.
I was next to an 8 segment cast iron ornamental radiator with a compass normal, outside were I've flown multiple drones with no issues and nope MM2 was not happy.
Drone returned.

In the end no problem, I have my perfect drone MA2.

2020-12-26
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

Well, for a start, flying in 25f temps is ill advised and you should NOT be doing that.
2020-12-26
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

Well, for a start, flying in 25f temps is ill advised and you should NOT be doing that. My Mini 2 has been absolutely perfect since I took it out of the box on release day. Also takes flawless video. Also, it is not THAT difficult to hold the drone horizontal to the ground when powering on. Do that simple thing and you WON'T get the IMU error message. Quite simple really.
2020-12-26
Use props
Photo Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 456201 ft
Canada

Just did a few test on Christmas and it's better than expected so far with no issues. Also it was about-2 and the video looks great.

2020-12-26
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mini2 Flyr Posted at 12-26 14:36
Well, for a start, flying in 25f temps is ill advised and you should NOT be doing that. My Mini 2 has been absolutely perfect since I took it out of the box on release day. Also takes flawless video. Also, it is not THAT difficult to hold the drone horizontal to the ground when powering on. Do that simple thing and you WON'T get the IMU error message. Quite simple really.

Lots of caps in that response.
Flew my Anafi and MA2 today, no issues (well the Anafi gets scared and wants to come home).
Sorry, I won’t agree with the holding horizontal to start, might be easy for you but not for me.
Switch could be better located in my opinion.

I completely understand that there are those with no issues, I accept that but I have neither the time or patience to mess with a drone that does have issues.

Really not relevant anymore, drone is returned.

2020-12-26
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Photo Drone Posted at 12-26 15:21
Just did a few test on Christmas and it's better than expected so far with no issues. Also it was about-2 and the video looks great.

I’m happy for you and hope you have as much joy with your MM2 as I have with my MA2.
2020-12-26
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

Sorry you had so much trouble with you new Mini 2.  I can empathize as I got a Mavic Air 2 which turned out to be a lemon.  After a few flights, the gimbal started bouncing up and down at random times, and the footage I took on the last flights was basically ruined.

Now I wonder if I should risk getting another one or wait for the Mavic Air 3 or Mavic 3 Pro/Zoom to be released.  I really like the Mavic Air 2.

DJI must be pumping out these drones, too quickly, to meet demand.  And of course quality control suffers.

Since your MA2 works perfectly, I think having a Mini 2 is superfluous.  I pretty much have no desire to fly my Mini after having tasted the Air 2's goodness.
2020-12-26
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Duck Posted at 12-26 16:31
Sorry you had so much trouble with you new Mini 2.  I can empathize as I got a Mavic Air 2 which turned out to be a lemon.  After a few flights, the gimbal started bouncing up and down at random times, and the footage I took on the last flights was basically ruined.

Now I wonder if I should risk getting another one or wait for the Mavic Air 3 or Mavic 3 Pro/Zoom to be released.  I really like the Mavic Air 2.

I struggled with opening the MM2 and waited until today, due to similarities.
Hind sight I should have followed my first instinct and returned without trying it out.

Sorry you had issues with your MA2, we’ll see what the future brings.
2020-12-26
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

Sounds like you got a dud. But yes, the tiny Mini 2 is a bit more temperamental in the handling department. The MA2 being twice as heavy probably makes it more robust. I don't know.
2020-12-26
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

The MM1 sounds like angry hornet, compared to the MM2, which sounds like a hornet chilling on the beach.  I don't have the Mavic Air 2, so I can't compare, but calling it very loud is a stretch.
2020-12-26
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I would just return it and get a new one.  Lemons happen especially with a product as complicated and robust as Mini 2.  If you get it in the air working properly the experience is day and night.
2020-12-26
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

trader6777 Posted at 12-26 17:36
The MM1 sounds like angry hornet, compared to the MM2, which sounds like a hornet chilling on the beach.  I don't have the Mavic Air 2, so I can't compare, but calling it very loud is a stretch.

Subjective comes to mind as far as sound.
The Anafi is whisper quiet, nothing like it that I’ve experienced.
It’s downside to me is range, ocusync is a game changer.
The MA2 seems quieter to me than the MM2, the MM2 seemed annoyingly loud.
My time with the MM2 was limited so others with more experience with both would be a better gauge as far as sound between the two.
I was frustrated so that could have added to my experience in a negative way (fuel on the fire).
2020-12-26
Use props
buehlerbg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4511 ft
United States

My analysis is - Either the drone is broken or the problem is not in the drone, the phone, or the remote control.
2020-12-26
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Did not had much problems with the MM2. No IMU errors after putting it on. No white haze. I got the oposite problem brenging the drone out from the "cold" airco environment to the outside. I need my equipment (camera, drones, ...) to aclimatize the humid warm outside air.

The MM2 is not as sturdy as my M2P, but I didn't experience so much problems as you do. I'm sorry to hear that. I think you have to return it and get another one. It looks like you got a bad unit.

The main thing about flying in the cold, is to keep your batteries warm before you fly. I flew my M2P in Iceland, keeping the batteries warm out of the drone and inserting them the very last moment.
2020-12-26
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Image from the video.
Took two videos and both the same, 4K 30fps auto.
Went directly from inside home to outside and the time it took to power up and fly (warm to cold with no excessive delay. Drone, battery, controller, phone were warm).
Any ideas?
2020-12-26
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

1- For the differences in unusual handling, all of us that are used to the Mini 1 are ok with that....after a while ;-)

2- As to the"frosted" image above, looks like condensation to me. Going quickly from warm to cold is inviting that.
2020-12-26
Use props
JohnnyKK
lvl.2

Australia

Been flying around in 40C = 104F  been going great guns
2020-12-26
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well Simply put you did not give it a chance....... To me it looks like you unwrapped the Drone tried it in less than perfect conditions, got the Hump over some small issues, Threw your rattle out of the pram. Sent it back and came on here to have a rant.

As for saying you don't have time..... Well we all have exactly the same amount of time it is just how we chose to use it.

In my opinion you have failed with one of the very best drones DJI have at the moment.

As you say you have sent it back and have little time apparently...... I bet you will find time to continue your little hissy fit on here however.

Happy Christmas   
2020-12-27
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Bulgaria

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-27 01:40
Well Simply put you did not give it a chance....... To me it looks like you unwrapped the Drone tried it in less than perfect conditions, got the Hump over some small issues, Threw your rattle out of the pram. Sent it back and came on here to have a rant.

As for saying you don't have time..... Well we all have exactly the same amount of time it is just how we chose to use it.

yeah...it seems she couldn't handle some basic entry drone and wanted to blame for it the star alignment, dji and all the forces. while the simple issue was the behind-the-control entity
and the loud part is beyond ridiculous...it is one of the quietest drones i have seen. and compared with the air 2 i have seen some video comparison that they are at the same noise level, though it could be the mini2 one idea quieter...
2020-12-27
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-26 21:06
1- For the differences in unusual handling, all of us that are used to the Mini 1 are ok with that....after a while ;-)

2- As to the"frosted" image above, looks like condensation to me. Going quickly from warm to cold is inviting that.

Makes sense on both counts.
Switch on the bottom seems unusual to me but it should be easy enough to get used to so that’s on me.
I did test right after doing the updates so the drone was getting pretty warm and most likely did not help matters, I should have let it cool  before going right outside.

Thanks
2020-12-27
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-27 01:40
Well Simply put you did not give it a chance....... To me it looks like you unwrapped the Drone tried it in less than perfect conditions, got the Hump over some small issues, Threw your rattle out of the pram. Sent it back and came on here to have a rant.

Thank you, I really value your opinions.
See you in Toledo
2020-12-27
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lisa3 Posted at 12-27 04:04
Thank you, I really value your opinions.
See you in Toledo

I am glad you have realised the errors of your ways... Thank you
2020-12-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

No problems with my M2 so far.
(only have flown it 3 times, but still)
There is room for improvements, but no errors on my side.
2020-12-27
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

OK, so here’s a funny story.
My husband retired and one of the gifts he received was an M2.
It is completely different from the one I had, no calibration messages, quiet, flies great, video is very nice (he films in 2.7) no issues whatsoever.

He drifted away from flying drones but he absolutely loves the M2 and if he’s not taking a nap he’s flying the M2.
I firmly believe there was an issue with the one I had and can now understand why so many like their M2, live and learn.
2021-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules