3185 27 2020-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know this isn't supposed to be possible for the Mini 2, but this looked like it was going to be a perfect precision landing for the Mini 2. I pressed RTH at about 1000 feet out and waited at the ready with the remote, fully expecting to correct. But that wasn't required. It was fairly windy today, maybe 15 knots. Now, the Mini 2 did not fully land because it did not "like" the landing spot and hovered after warning me. But...it was soooo close.

p.s. Notice how it did not flip up the camera just before the actual landing...a bug maybe?

2020-12-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Thanks for sharing, GaryDoug.
2020-12-27
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Close enough, indeed.
Strange, it didn't like the landing spot. Seemed to be a nice place to land to me.
Thanks for sharing.
2020-12-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Close enough for me
2020-12-27
Use props
lacibaci
Second Officer
Flight distance : 235682 ft
United States

I think camera flip up is by design. Think of it as hard drive head parking position.
2020-12-27
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

lacibaci Posted at 12-27 10:46
I think camera flip up is by design. Think of it as hard drive head parking position.

Of course it is. But it did not do that when it actually landed. Notice that it is still pointed down into the orange landing mat.
2020-12-27
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

well close enough for no complaints  I'd say.
2020-12-27
Use props
Akumal
lvl.1
United States

That's a fantastic result. I'm upgrading from Spark to Mini 2 for the extra range and <250g weight, but I'm worried about losing true Precision Landing that matches a photo taken at launch to the image seen during landing. Spark has it and Air 2S has it but Mini 2 doesn't.

Your landing spot is similar to mine in that it's a small clearing and if you're just a few feet off you could hit trees (in my case I'd hit a house).

Do you know if Landing Protection - which uses downward sensors to check for a "suitable" landing spot (whatever "suitable" means) - would also prevent it from hitting trees or the top or side of a house during landing?

Thx!
2021-11-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Akumal Posted at 11-12 07:46
That's a fantastic result. I'm upgrading from Spark to Mini 2 for the extra range and

I do not know. And I have recently given away my Mini 2 and two Mini's so I can't test that for you.

I suspect that this result may have been a coincidence and would I not count on it in the future...However you can see what look like the corrections to the landing pad in the video.

2021-11-12
Use props
Akumal
lvl.1
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 11-12 08:14
I do not know. And I have recently given away my Mini 2 and two Mini's so I can't test that for you.

I suspect that this result may have been a coincidence and would I not count on it in the future...However you can see what look like the corrections to the landing pad in the video.

Thnks. Interesting. They do look like corrections but they'd have to be based entirely on GPS unless it somehow thinks the pad is more "suitable" than the grass.
2021-11-12
Use props
MiniManiac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

it doesnt flip the camera up until its just about to land
2021-11-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MiniManiac Posted at 11-12 09:57
it doesnt flip the camera up until its just about to land

If you actually watched the real landing, it did NOT flip up the camera at the very end. It ended on the mat with the camera pointed down. How did you miss that?
2021-11-12
Use props
djiuser_AXf9t3cJMM66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 390128 ft

Poland

Almost perfect
2021-11-12
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

Sounds like the landing was as expected! Pretty normal for a mini 2. Am I'm missing something here???
2021-11-12
Use props
MiniManiac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 11-12 10:55
If you actually watched the real landing, it did NOT flip up the camera at the very end. It ended on the mat with the camera pointed down. How did you miss that?

I misread the post and didnt watch the video my bad
2021-11-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TP-FPV Posted at 11-12 11:10
Sounds like the landing was as expected! Pretty normal for a mini 2. Am I'm missing something here???

Maybe. Watch carefully as it descends. It does some sideways/fore/back movements on it's own before the camera flip that look just like the ones done by the higher end drones as they do a precision landing. The Mini 2 is not supposed to have that capability, so what is happening?

2021-11-12
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

At 1:40 the camera DID flip up as normal. At 1:55 it rotated back down and stayed down. Did you rotate it down then manually land it?
2021-11-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-12 13:20
At 1:40 the camera DID flip up as normal. At 1:55 it rotated back down and stayed down. Did you rotate it down then manually land it?

Correct. But that happens a lot, taking over manually near the end, and this is the first time it did not flip up. Not one time have I ever seen the camera stay down onto the mat with any drone before.
2021-11-12
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 11-12 13:23
Correct. But that happens a lot, taking over manually near the end, and this is the first time it did not flip up. Not one time have I ever seen the camera stay down onto the mat with any drone before.

I would go check mine with a manual landing, but the wind is whipping right now. Maybe tomorrow.
2021-11-12
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

GaryDoug, so . . . is it that as the drone was coming in to land it flipped the camera up, whereas when it landed under YOUR command it did NOT flip the camera up.
Possibly because of the material of the landing pad - not being recognized by the drone as something it is programed to recognize???  I have to join the rest,
You did a bang-up job of making it "spot-on!"
2021-11-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A lot of interest in a topic that is almost a year old !
2021-11-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 11-12 15:19
A lot of interest in a topic that is almost a year old !

Folks get told to use the search then when they come across sommat they find relevant and reply, they then get comments regarding it being an old thread, damned if they do and damned if they don't...
2021-11-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 11-12 20:25
Folks get told to use the search then when they come across sommat they find relevant and reply, they then get comments regarding it being an old thread, damned if they do and damned if they don't...

So...who is saying that it is a bad thing to use an old topic. You? I think it's great.
2021-11-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 11-12 20:32
So...who is saying that it is a bad thing to use an old topic. You? I think it's great.

The exclamation mark... I read it that you had strong feelings on a revived post
You did a Johnny there, switching it on to me when clearly i wasn't on about myself lol now that did make me chuckle
2021-11-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 11-12 22:58
The exclamation mark... I read it that you had strong feelings on a revived post
You did a Johnny there, switching it on to me when clearly i wasn't on about myself lol now that did make me chuckle

Wow: How introspective. It really is all about you all the time. Back off.
2021-11-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 11-12 23:47
Wow: How introspective. It really is all about you all the time. Back off.

Back off of what? You're a weird person, you asked me a question so I answered, I also pointed out that talking about myself was just crazy talk, I still cannot fathom why you would even say that other than to, nope, still got nothing, if you want me top stop replying to your comments, you only need to ask nicely, we can come to a compromise for sure...
2021-11-13
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

That is what I did, was leave a comment for the subject of you landing the drone, I have NO idea when the post was initiated.   Cheers...
2021-11-14
Use props
djiuser_oisFhDIzyUrg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1840715 ft
Canada

Hi, I bought a DJI Mini SE and enjoyed it so much I upgraded to the Mini 2. I have been flying both and noticed some big differences. First is RTH accuracy. The SE always lands within 1 foot of take but the Mini 2 is never closer that 10 feet and sometimes further. 2nd thing is the SE hovers in place like a rock and does not move where as the Mini 2 drifts up and down and side to side by as much as 10 feet or so. It's a bit worry-some as it looks like it's going to crash or flyaway. The last thing is when in Cine mode on the SE the speed is much slower and easier to control for sooth footage. But with Mini 2 it's way to fast to get smooth footage as the speed setting for forward/backward, up/down and side to side are much faster and hard to control compared to the SE. Has anyone else had these issues?
2021-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules