123Next >
13707 81 2020-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

Hi all,

I got to use my Ronin RS2 for the first time today at a park. Pretty impressed with it so far except for one small issue...

This thing will violently flip your camera for no reason. It happened once and I had no idea why, so I did another circle of my wife with Activetrack on... Walking slowly and letting the camera (Canon 5dMKIV with 24-70 2.8L) follow her when all of a sudden there was a loud snap of a sound and the Ronin violently flipped the camera upside down, this time I was able to catch it while recording.

What seems to happen is all 3 axis invert themselves incredibly quickly. The roll axis goes all the way forward, tilt goes entirely the other way and the poor pan axis ...s itself and goes all the way forward.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G9TyFO37JSIpNILtxw35zLFQvJzgoNnm/view?usp=sharing

Does anyone know what could cause this? It flipped the camera so hard it came loose from the DJI plate and sat at an angle (camera didnt fall off though)
2020-12-26
Use props
manshmedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50023 ft

India

Broke my protection glass due to same not to mention i bought it a day before the ronin and the camera it happened with raven eye mobile control
2020-12-26
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

manshmedia Posted at 12-26 22:48
Broke my protection glass due to same not to mention i bought it a day before the ronin and the camera it happened with raven eye mobile control

I'm also using Raveneye... I wonder if that's the issue? I can't see my screen as I don't have a moveable camera screen hence me using Raveneye and my mobile phone. Maybe I was low enough that the camera flips mode and the Raveneye decided to tell the gimbal to follow
2020-12-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there, we are sorry for bringing this unpleasure experience to you. Could you please check the stiffness on each axis? Will the gimbal turn to shaky after shooting for a while? It is recommend to leave some margin for the stiffness setting to reduce motor overload.

Let us know if above information works
Thanks
2020-12-27
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Wanda Posted at 12-27 07:25
Hello there, we are sorry for bringing this unpleasure experience to you. Could you please check the stiffness on each axis? Will the gimbal turn to shaky after shooting for a while? It is recommend to leave some margin for the stiffness setting to reduce motor overload.

Hi DJI Wanda,

The stiffness is as below

Tilt 43
Roll 40
Pan 50
2020-12-27
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

Also, no, no shaking
2020-12-27
Use props
bdubs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12369 ft
United States

Squidy666 Posted at 2020-12-27 18:15
Also, no, no shaking

Any luck with this? How did you resolve it? I’m experiencing this same exact issue with a brand new RS2.
2021-4-18
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

bdubs Posted at 4-18 16:02
Any luck with this? How did you resolve it? I’m experiencing this same exact issue with a brand new RS2.

No luck, still does it. I’ve basically given up at this point. If I stay in a straight line it doesn’t happen, I as soon as I try tracking or going lower etc it’s a much higher risk of it flipping and ruining the footage. It’s essentially just a glorified tripod at this stage.
2021-4-18
Use props
digitalmee
New

United States

Squidy666 Posted at 4-18 16:44
No luck, still does it. I’ve basically given up at this point. If I stay in a straight line it doesn’t happen, I as soon as I try tracking or going lower etc it’s a much higher risk of it flipping and ruining the footage. It’s essentially just a glorified tripod at this stage.

Same problem here. Sigma FP on an RS2 (should be easy task for RS2), fresh balance, and balance test confirms all good. When using Raven Eye system to track the RS2 periodically and violently flips camera over -- and then it's just stuck there (need to power off system and nurse camera back into proper position). This happens while hand holding, which I assume should be possible while using Raven Eye. Unless confirmed known issue with fix, I'm abandoning use of Raven eye as well, which, incidentally, seems poorly thought out by prompting user to disable Bluetooth on phone to when connected even though Bluetooth is otherwise used to communicate with RS2 base unit (not to mention other devices). This makes for cumbersome user experience, to say the least. The RS2 base unit itself, however, I am happy with.
2021-4-26
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Wanda Posted at 2020-12-27 07:25
Hello there, we are sorry for bringing this unpleasure experience to you. Could you please check the stiffness on each axis? Will the gimbal turn to shaky after shooting for a while? It is recommend to leave some margin for the stiffness setting to reduce motor overload.

Any help on this? This is now 4 months old and as you can see others are having the same issue.
2021-4-27
Use props
Oanh19
lvl.1
United States

I believed the issue was the ActiveTrack itself by my observations.

With the ActiveTrack on, if you keep the gimbal sitting on the tripod, the RS2 will follow your subject automatically.

If you don't have the RS2 on tripod then must hold it tight, any slight movement on the handle would cause the motors acted crazy, out of control. I must quickly turn off the power to stop it.

In the manual page 27, it states "Stiffness: the motor stiffness adjustment allows you to fine-tune the power that is applied by the motors as they react and balance the weight on each axis. Make sure you leave an extra margin to ensure stability at all times. If the stiffness value is too high the gimbal may shake and if the value is too low the gimbal performance will be affected."

It said the gimbal may shake if the stiffness value is too high. That's perfectly clear.
But:
1. What numbers are extra margin?
2. What performance will be affected if the value is too low?

For me, this explanation was too vague.

I think DJI working team must come up with a firmware to fix this issue.

OVN
2021-4-27
Use props
djiuser_2YE73oNWF4zI
New

Canada

Following up on this. Have you found a resolution? It’s been happening to ours as well!
2021-6-26
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

djiuser_2YE73oNWF4zI Posted at 6-26 19:58
Following up on this. Have you found a resolution? It’s been happening to ours as well!

No, no solution. My friend is also having a similar issue, but the last flip for him actually shattered the filter on the camera. Won't be using it again until we get an acknowledgment of the issue from DJI or some confirmation of a fix. I can't afford to have a 5dMKIV smashed around by this especially when it's not mirrorless etc.
2021-6-26
Use props
gloads
New

United States

Had the same issue in briefcase mode using active track / Raveneye using the RS2 screen and no app. Flipped two times, last one broke my RF28-70 f/2 and I am not using it anymore. Defeats entire reason for purchase, and caused +2x $ damage.  UNACCEPTABLE!
2021-7-3
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

gloads Posted at 7-3 07:42
Had the same issue in briefcase mode using active track / Raveneye using the RS2 screen and no app. Flipped two times, last one broke my RF28-70 f/2 and I am not using it anymore. Defeats entire reason for purchase, and caused +2x $ damage.  UNACCEPTABLE!

Given DJI are refusing to acknowledge or comment I'm going to be taking this to the government fair trading body if I haven't gotten a response 7 days from today as this clearly isn't fit for purpose. The store I bought it from (one of the biggest in Australia) are also quite invested in the outcome of this also. I'm just glad I have a strong relationship with them and I know they'll do something about it.

This is so disappointing. If for example Raveneye only works on specific models etc they should mention this before other people have their gear damaged. I can use the gimbal just fine without Raveneye, but I paid hundreds more for the package with it.
2021-7-3
Use props
djiuser_2YE73oNWF4zI
New

Canada

Squidy666 Posted at 7-3 19:40
Given DJI are refusing to acknowledge or comment I'm going to be taking this to the government fair trading body if I haven't gotten a response 7 days from today as this clearly isn't fit for purpose. The store I bought it from (one of the biggest in Australia) are also quite invested in the outcome of this also. I'm just glad I have a strong relationship with them and I know they'll do something about it.

This is so disappointing. If for example Raveneye only works on specific models etc they should mention this before other people have their gear damaged. I can use the gimbal just fine without Raveneye, but I paid hundreds more for the package with it.

Thanks for keeping the conversation alive! I’m just using mine as a normal gimbal and it still flips and goes crazy!
2021-7-3
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

djiuser_2YE73oNWF4zI Posted at 7-3 20:08
Thanks for keeping the conversation alive! I’m just using mine as a normal gimbal and it still flips and goes crazy!

Does it happen for you without Raveneye? You mention normal gimbal so just want to clarify
2021-7-3
Use props
djiuser_2YE73oNWF4zI
New

Canada

Squidy666 Posted at 7-3 20:38
Does it happen for you without Raveneye? You mention normal gimbal so just want to clarify

Yeah without the raven eye it still happens
2021-7-3
Use props
illuminatedRS
lvl.2

Turkey

Any more word on this?   would this fit a class action if nothing is done?
2021-7-7
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

illuminatedRS Posted at 7-7 17:51
Any more word on this?   would this fit a class action if nothing is done?

No response yet, raising it with Fair Trading tomorrow
2021-7-9
Use props
djiuser_MyaKVEGkmH0r
New
United States

Squidy666 Posted at 7-9 01:49
No response yet, raising it with Fair Trading tomorrow

Any update? Would like to know if it's avoidable but I've also had it happen, especially while using activetrack.
2021-7-16
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

djiuser_MyaKVEGkmH0r Posted at 7-16 22:44
Any update? Would like to know if it's avoidable but I've also had it happen, especially while using activetrack.

I was asked to email DJI so I have an email trail in case. DJI are helping out etc but have asked me to film it when it happens. I’ve raised a few concerns that 1) I’m in lockdown and can’t go out to film 2) I don’t feel comfortable putting my camera back on it if it’s going to potentially get damaged and 3) I can’t replicate it, it just happens randomly so walking round filming it with a mobile phone would not even necessarily guarantee it will happen.

I’ve asked if there is some way I can get logs etc and waiting to hear back
2021-7-16
Use props
Inge Eidem
New

Norway

Same problem here, while in briefcase handle mode, the RS2 flips around and acting crazy. Please DJI, this you can recreate yourself, just try some movements to the edges of the gimbal and you will experience it! Had the RS2 for tree days and this is not good…
2021-7-17
Use props
illuminatedRS
lvl.2

United States

One question is are you both on the same firmware version - both Raveneye and on the gimbal? -  also do you have an idea of what your payload sizes are?

2021-7-18
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

illuminatedRS Posted at 7-18 14:42
One question is are you both on the same firmware version - both Raveneye and on the gimbal? -  also do you have an idea of what your payload sizes are?
I always keep my firmware up to date as soon as it’s released. In regards to payload I’ve got a 5dmkiv and 24-70 which are below the weight and are both supported. Balanced correctly too and the gimbal passes all balance tests with excellent.

In regards to other users firmware I’m unsure, but I’ve given DJI my firmware at the time so they can check.

I’ve updated to the new firmware a few days ago but haven’t been able to go out and test again as all of Sydney is in lockdown.
2021-7-18
Use props
Inge Eidem
New

Norway

Recently updated firmware on both gimbal and Raven eye, still flipping crazy in  briefcase mode…
2021-7-24
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

Inge Eidem Posted at 7-24 05:57
Recently updated firmware on both gimbal and Raven eye, still flipping crazy in  briefcase mode…

I got responses through support. I was walking with Raveneye behind my wife and they said

"1. It is recommended not to use Raveneye for shooting such scenes, and the lens movement speed should be slow.
2. Please use the upside-down mode to shoot".

I sent them a link to a video where they show on their own Youtube channel that this is being a use case for it, that was literally the whole reason I paid extra for the Raveneye kit, so they've just asked me to send it back for a repair.

I haven't done it yet however before we're in lockdown in Sydney and it's not considered essential so I can't really leave my home, but will send it back later.

Not surprisingly their support channel is far more efficient than the forum.
2021-7-24
Use props
djiuser_AmZQru9uxPS9
New

Singapore

Hi, thinking about purchasing the RS2, just wondering if this issue is resolved. Will be using 5dmkiv with 24/70 2.8 and 1dxmk2.
2021-7-25
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

djiuser_AmZQru9uxPS9 Posted at 7-25 16:39
Hi, thinking about purchasing the RS2, just wondering if this issue is resolved. Will be using 5dmkiv with 24/70 2.8 and 1dxmk2.

Not resolved for me, but I haven’t been able to send off my unit to DJI for them to investigate yet
2021-7-25
Use props
illuminatedRS
lvl.2

United States

Squidy666 Posted at 7-25 16:41
Not resolved for me, but I haven’t been able to send off my unit to DJI for them to investigate yet

please keep us informed thank you you might be able to schedule a pick up instead and that way you don't have to go out
2021-8-13
Use props
illuminatedRS
lvl.2

United States

Squidy666 Posted at 7-25 16:41
Does this tend to happen only in briefcase mode... or does it happen in all other modes too?
2021-8-13
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

They made a new update today.  Can you check to see?  Luckily I never used briefcase mode for too long so it didn't have time for it to happen if it was going to.
2021-8-17
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

illuminatedRS Posted at 8-13 17:56
Does this tend to happen only in briefcase mode... or does it happen in all other modes too?

Mainly when used upright, so if I slowly follow someone with it at about head height it will do it quite often
2021-8-17
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 8-17 15:53
They made a new update today.  Can you check to see?  Luckily I never used briefcase mode for too long so it didn't have time for it to happen if it was going to.

I’ll have to have a look and let you know. I don’t often use briefcase mode, just standard, and it happens quite often in standard mode
2021-8-17
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Squidy666 Posted at 8-17 16:12
I’ll have to have a look and let you know. I don’t often use briefcase mode, just standard, and it happens quite often in standard mode

I've never had issues in standard mode..
2021-8-18
Use props
patlealfilms
lvl.1

United States

Maybe your motors aren't calibrated correctly?  It did that to me whilst trying to do active track... it went crazy, but good thing I checked for clearance of the lens before experimenting with different modes... I have a 1 yr Dji manufacturer insurance warranty and 2 yrs Asurion... I'm thinking maybe I got a defective unit because I'm not concerned with that it goes crazy (With Raven eye/3d lidar) as much as I'm concerned that the focus motor screws aren't tight enough to stay in place for the 12mm rod... the rod clamps down and won't move by rotation by itself after tighetning it, however the focus motor screw can't clamp down on the 12mm tight enough to not move back and forth on the rod when turned on and calibrating by itself... I believe I got a bad build because the circular opening of where the rod is to go through on the dji focus motor is too loose for the rod and screw on dji motor to clamp down tightly onto the rod... I need a replacement asap as I got some important music video shoots coming up.  I also tried the DJI active track and raven system with the 3d lidar and haven't got it to work with a canon 16-35mm f2.8 on a S1H yet... because even whilst holding the camera steady during calibrating... I have to ghetto rig the motor  to the rod (tighten it with a velcro strap)or else the motor will rotate on the 12mm rod provided because it apparently can't screw down tight enough or the hole is too big on the unit
2021-8-22
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

I experienced this issue when the vertical balance wasn't spot on but also while using activetrack. It stopped as soon as i disabled tracking. Appears to me as if the software freaks out when the subject moves out of frame.
From my experience with the Osmo and Mavic Pro I expect the device to stop as soon as activetrack isn't able anymore to track the subject. Apparently in some circumstances this isn't true for the RS2/Raveneye.

The issue is, of course, perfectly avoidable when ensuring the subject doesn't move out of frame and is clearly visible. This also defeats the purpose of the activetrack feature. I suggest DJI's engineers checking out sub-optimal conditions where the subjects contrast compared to the background isn't ideal and when the subject is moving quickly or erratic. I never had this issue when the subject stood still and I was moving around it but I could reproduce it by moving myself in such a way that the subject went out of frame. It doesn't happen reliably in my case but now that I understand why it happens and, most importantly, when, I can avoid such situations. To be honest I thought it was my fault all the time but now that I read your problems I would say this should be thoroughly tested and fixed by DJI.
2021-8-23
Use props
Gd小猪
lvl.2
Flight distance : 678609 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hello, is there a video? I can't open that link.
2021-8-23
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

Sorry all, have made the video public now. Thought it was already public.

That's an old video however and have another video where it happens even more extreme but have to find it
2021-9-3
Use props
escrafford
New
United States

I just picked up an RS2, and I'm experiencing the violent flipping also. Seems to be when activetrack subject gets out of frame? Not awesome to see this thread is a year old with no resolution
2021-12-9
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules