motherboard replacement
6186 25 2020-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
malted muse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 213202 ft
United Kingdom

Following weak transmission problems I have been told I need a new core board A for my Mavic Pro 2.  This is a second hand drone from ebay that I have since found has had a new camera and which I only flew a few times.  The cost of repair is around £550 which would put the total cost over a brand new one.  for many reasons, inc dropped income due to Covid, I am unable to do this.

I am open to advice on this but am currently thinking about buying a second hand core board and trying to replace it myself.  My understanding is that there is no soldering required for this but I am into the unknown.

Anyone have experience with this?  Anyone think this is a reasonable plan or a very bad idea?
2020-12-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can pickup those boards on eBay for about £199 -  Id watch a tear down or two and see if you feel comfortable doing it -
2020-12-27
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Interesting - doesn't say if you need any activation/tech knowledge after you have installed it or is that automatic?
2020-12-27
Use props
Thunderdrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1634177 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I can jump in here, who told you that your core board is causing weak transmission problems? Are you talking about video or controller transmission problems? Please describe what problems you are experiencing.

Weak "transmission" problems are usually caused by your controller, not your core board. The can also be caused by the antennae in your drone not functioning properly.
2020-12-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there malted muse. I am sorry to know that you are having this issue with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Since you are having this issue on the said DJI Drone. It would be best to contact our DJI Support team at  https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. Just a reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said DJI drone to avoid further damaging the said unit. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.
2020-12-27
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-27 21:40
Hello there malted muse. I am sorry to know that you are having this issue with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Since you are having this issue on the said DJI Drone. It would be best to contact our DJI Support team at  https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. Just a reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said DJI drone to avoid further damaging the said unit. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.

Hi.  In an ideal world I agree and understand.  I have raised the problem with DJI Support and sent the drone to the nearest DJI authorised repair centre - who I should say have been quick, polite and professional.  Unfortunately the amount they have quoted me for the repair is out of my budget and more than I had anticipated and prepared for.
This has left me with a few options -
1. authorise them to do the repair - not an option available to me at the moment.
2. Find someone else who could do it cheaper - I am looking but do not want to spend £100's posting it around from place to place plus if someone then quotes too much cheaper then I would question how they can do that?
3. Repair it myself.
4. Give up flying the drone.  TBH the drone has been an important part for my sense of creativity.  Plus I have always been an active person who is now in his 60's and limited by arthritis (waiting for new knees - delayed by the global health crisis etc) and the drone gives me a great sense of 'getting away' and freedom.  I will give it up if I have to but -

IF I can use genuine parts that is a simple job of removing a few screws and unplugging the old and plugging in the new, and being able to continue flying within safe and legal limits then I would want to explore that option.  I would prefer having a professional do it for me, I would prefer to support those trying to keep jobs and businesses going and I understand how legally you can not say anything that would give approval to me doing so - but I hope you understand my position as well.
2020-12-28
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thunderdrones Posted at 12-27 19:08
If I can jump in here, who told you that your core board is causing weak transmission problems? Are you talking about video or controller transmission problems? Please describe what problems you are experiencing.

Weak "transmission" problems are usually caused by your controller, not your core board. The can also be caused by the antennae in your drone not functioning properly.

Hi.  
Thanks for your interest.  Just in case -

The problem is a 'weak transmission' signal.  I have not lost control of the drone and the drone has been able to record to the sd card.  However, I have never pushed it too far and have had the screen loose signal.  I have tried recalibration, downgraded and refreshed all firmwares, tried different phones and cables and cable ports.  I have tried all manner of flying environments - eg open fields away from pylons and trees on high ground in good weather and plenty of sats etc but problem happens even at very close range.
I sent the drone to an authorised dji repair centre who reported that they troubleshooted the controller and found no problems.  They also checked the landing gear antennas which were attached and working and the GPS had good Sat signal.  They also said that the core board is not allowing the range to the drone from the RC
The problem started after I had a message saying that the back up IMU was formatting  and when I attempted a landing (I was low on battery) I brought it down to the normal auto landing height over a landing pad on soft grass but, instead of it slowly descending, it just came straight down.

That is as much history I have really.
2020-12-28
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

malted muse Posted at 12-28 10:15
Hi.  
Thanks for your interest.  Just in case -

To my understanding the issue of weak transmission signal happen to be apparent after hard landing, caused by malfunctioning (?) IMU module. Are you talking about video feed or flight control? What criteria did you employed to determine the weakness of transmission? Please elaborate.

Anyway, It is possible that the impact of uncontrollable descent damaged some components on main board responsible for radio communication. With sufficient DIY skills you can replace the board with a new one, no further programming or setup is necessary. However, you will have to perform FW update, IMU and compass calibration, perhaps Obstacle Avoidance System calibration etc. Good luck ...
2020-12-28
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 12-28 23:23
To my understanding the issue of weak transmission signal happen to be apparent after hard landing, caused by malfunctioning (?) IMU module. Are you talking about video feed or flight control? What criteria did you employed to determine the weakness of transmission? Please elaborate.

Anyway, It is possible that the impact of uncontrollable descent damaged some components on main board responsible for radio communication. With sufficient DIY skills you can replace the board with a new one, no further programming or setup is necessary. However, you will have to perform FW update, IMU and compass calibration, perhaps Obstacle Avoidance System calibration etc. Good luck ...

Thanks for your interest.
My criteria was simply reading the messages as they came through on the djigo app.  This did result in loss of video etc but I am quite cautious so whenever there is a problem I bring the drone home, in fact I have only had RTH activate on me twice - both when battery levels were low and I was directly underneath.
My view at the moment is that I have tried all in my capabilities and sought advice from a number of places - all in all it seems the core board is the likely problem.  Partly due to the hard landing but I also wonder if the hard landing itself was caused by a problem with the core board??
I am thinking that doing it myself is the option to go for - If it is simply undoing screws and unplugging then doing calibrations that can be done from home and done with genuine parts - then better than just giving up.

Thanks again
2020-12-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

malted muse Posted at 12-29 01:16
Thanks for your interest.
My criteria was simply reading the messages as they came through on the djigo app.  This did result in loss of video etc but I am quite cautious so whenever there is a problem I bring the drone home, in fact I have only had RTH activate on me twice - both when battery levels were low and I was directly underneath.
My view at the moment is that I have tried all in my capabilities and sought advice from a number of places - all in all it seems the core board is the likely problem.  Partly due to the hard landing but I also wonder if the hard landing itself was caused by a problem with the core board??

Never give up, losers are doing that. M2P is a lovely bird and you'll know her intimately after this transplanting surgery. A few words of advice: colour-code all wire connectors, take a snapshot of every step as you strip her down, securely store all screws in a container. Good luck again ...
2020-12-29
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 12-29 13:27
Never give up, losers are doing that. M2P is a lovely bird and you'll know her intimately after this transplanting surgery. A few words of advice: colour-code all wire connectors, take a snapshot of every step as you strip her down, securely store all screws in a container. Good luck again ...

Thanks for the encouragement.  taking photos is a good idea and one I do whenever repairing tools etc.  I even thought I might anchor myself to discharge any static but I'm not sure I need to go that far.  I do feel better about things now.  when I first got the quote for repairs my heart sank - I am beginning to see light now.
2020-12-29
Use props
Thunderdrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1634177 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that your battery might have run out of power, and then the drone came down. It happens.

You can replace the core board yourself, no soldering involved. Just be very careful taking the bottom plate screws out, or you will strip them. Also, be careful unplugging the ribbon cables. You dont want to have to replace any of those. After that, all you need to do is bind the controller to the drone, and presto, youre done.

Once again, I dont think its your core board thats your problem, but if you replace it and it works, power to you.
By the way, your IMU failing would not cause a crash, especially if your #2 IMU is still working.
2020-12-29
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thunderdrones Posted at 12-29 18:16
I think that your battery might have run out of power, and then the drone came down. It happens.

You can replace the core board yourself, no soldering involved. Just be very careful taking the bottom plate screws out, or you will strip them. Also, be careful unplugging the ribbon cables. You dont want to have to replace any of those. After that, all you need to do is bind the controller to the drone, and presto, youre done.

Good tips thanks.
2020-12-30
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thunderdrones Posted at 2020-12-29 18:16

I guess I should ask you that - if you still don't think he problem is the motherboard then 1. what else do you think it could be. 2. how can I tell.  it would be nice to know before I buy a motherboard.
2021-1-1
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help.  A slight update is that I have just got my drone back - now needing to get the money together to get the motherboard - the UK going back into national lockdown not helping.  So wished I had it today to film low cloud over the Peak District national park on a frosty but sunny morning.
2021-1-7
Use props
LostxRabbitt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3200420 ft
United States

malted muse Posted at 2020-12-28 10:01
Hi.  In an ideal world I agree and understand.  I have raised the problem with DJI Support and sent the drone to the nearest DJI authorised repair centre - who I should say have been quick, polite and professional.  Unfortunately the amount they have quoted me for the repair is out of my budget and more than I had anticipated and prepared for.
1. authorise them to do the repair - not an option available to me at the moment.

Send me the part and the unit and I'll fix it myself for you for free. It's ridiculous for DJI to charge so much to fix a drone that already cost so much. Heartless lying bastards. Who promised they won't force firmware upgrades on you to disable your drone if you don't upgrade is bullsh?t
2023-2-25
Use props
LostxRabbitt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3200420 ft
United States

malted muse Posted at 2020-12-28 10:01

Send me the part and the unit and I'll fix it myself for you for free
. It's ridiculous for DJI to charge so much to fix a drone that already cost so much. Heartless lying bastards. Who promised they won't force firmware upgrades on you to disable your drone if you don't upgrade is bullsh?t
2023-2-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LostxRabbitt Posted at 2-25 21:06
. It's ridiculous for DJI to charge so much to fix a drone that already cost so much. Heartless lying bastards. Who promised they won't force firmware upgrades on you to disable your drone if you don't upgrade is bullsh?t

Do you realise the age of the post to which you replied?
2023-2-26
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-26 00:56
Do you realise the age of the post to which you replied?

It's ridiculous for DJI to charge so much to fix a drone that already cost so much.
Interesting rationale too; isn't it more ridiculous for DJI to charge so much for their cheapest model?
2023-2-26
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

LostxRabbitt Posted at 2-25 21:06
. It's ridiculous for DJI to charge so much to fix a drone that already cost so much. Heartless lying bastards. Who promised they won't force firmware upgrades on you to disable your drone if you don't upgrade is bullsh?t

Thanks for the offer.  Let me think 'do I want to send my stuff to someone I don't know, and uses strong language in expressions of anger about a company whose product is the focus of this forum, when I have no idea if Would ever get it back or of the quality of the work, and knowing from another post that he feels breaking the law is ok',hmm - No you're alright thanks - anyway it is an old post and the situation is sorted.
2023-2-26
Use props
djiuser_zrgC0JoHiljl
New

Canada

Hello,
I recently bought a drone only from Auction in canada. I had to buy it because When I bought a new drone few months ago I broke it on the second day itself! (That sucks).
Since then I was looking for something to fix that problem and then I came across a drone on Auction without controller. So I thought it would be a nice idea to buy it as I have all the other stuff. I’ll just pair my old stuff with the drone I will buy from auction. And that’s what I did. But then I came across this Bound stuff with another account…
Now I am thinking that I have already spend enough on this and looking at all the information it’s impossible to do anything about that account stuff. However, I am thinking because I have my old drone and its fine from inside. Why don’t i change the part that hold the account information. I am not sure if its the motherboard or something else. Can you please help me with that. So that my money doesn’t go down the drain.
Thank you!
2023-3-14
Use props
djiuser_zrgC0JoHiljl
New

Canada

Hello,
I recently bought a drone only from Auction in canada. I had to buy it because When I bought a new drone few months ago I broke it on the second day itself! (That sucks).
Since then I was looking for something to fix that problem and then I came across a drone on Auction without controller. So I thought it would be a nice idea to buy it as I have all the other stuff. I’ll just pair my old stuff with the drone I will buy from auction. And that’s what I did. But then I came across this Bound stuff with another account…
Now I am thinking that I have already spend enough on this and looking at all the information it’s impossible to do anything about that account stuff. However, I am thinking because I have my old drone and its fine from inside. Why don’t i change the part that hold the account information. I am not sure if its the motherboard or something else. Can you please help me with that. So that my money doesn’t go down the drain.
Thank you!
2023-3-14
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_zrgC0JoHiljl Posted at 3-14 14:05
Hello,
I recently bought a drone only from Auction in canada. I had to buy it because When I bought a new drone few months ago I broke it on the second day itself! (That sucks).
Since then I was looking for something to fix that problem and then I came across a drone on Auction without controller. So I thought it would be a nice idea to buy it as I have all the other stuff. I’ll just pair my old stuff with the drone I will buy from auction. And that’s what I did. But then I came across this Bound stuff with another account…

I have no idea how to help you - why not post your own question to the group.
2023-3-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_zrgC0JoHiljl Posted at 3-14 14:04
Hello,

If you have a drone with bust shell but good innards and a drone with knackered or unusable innards but a good shell, strip both drones and put ALL THE GOOD INNARDS IN THE GOOD SHELL, do not try mixing and matching, you will screw things up. Noteably keep the gimbal/camera assembly with the original boards.

I did that with a pair of Mini 2.

If the first drone has just got broken arms etc. then swap the relevant arms.

For both approaches you will need a decent soldering iron, watch AS MANY dismantling youtube etc. as you can find. Some of those dismantlers are better than others.
2023-3-14
Use props
fansf28313f6
New

United States

LostxRabbitt Posted at 2023-2-25 21:06
Send me the part and the unit and I'll fix it myself for you for free. It's ridiculous for DJI to charge so much to fix a drone that already cost so much. Heartless lying bastards. Who promised they won't force firmware upgrades on you to disable your drone if you don't upgrade is bullsh?t
Hi Lost Rabbit. Not sure if I’m doing this correctly. I bought a Mini 3 pro off eBay with a dead main board. It wouldn’t power up at all . I then bought a supposed good used main board. I installed it put the battery in and did the sequence to turn it on. All 4 green lights came then went out and only the left green light came blinking. I turned it off , but then the green light starting blinking until I removed the battery
3-2 09:48
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

fansf28313f6 Posted at 3-2 09:48
Hi Lost Rabbit. Not sure if I’m doing this correctly. I bought a Mini 3 pro off eBay with a dead main board. It wouldn’t power up at all . I then bought a supposed good used main board. I installed it put the battery in and did the sequence to turn it on. All 4 green lights came then went out and only the left green light came blinking. I turned it off , but then the green light starting blinking until I removed the battery

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. We totally understand your expertise regarding drones however, we do not recommend DIY repairs as we cannot guarantee flight safety. In this situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the remote controller in for proper diagnostics. You may submit a ticket case at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index . We appreciate your understanding and support.
3-3 02:27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules