Does your P3 maintain a level horizon? [POLL]
4756 34 2015-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jon.mcclay
lvl.1

United States

Since receiving my P3 the gimbal does not maintain level. If I point the camera down and up, it's off. If I spin the device to look behind, it's not level.

• updated my P3A to the newest firmware 1.2.8 (including controller and batteries)
•2x IMU Calibrations on a level surface (room temperature as instructed my DJI tech staff)
• a bunch of gimbal calibrations on a level surface

the only way to get level is to adjust the Gimbal Roll manually.

Does anyone know if it is a hardware or software problem? Do I need to mail in the device? According to chat they don't really know what the problem is...
Has this been a problem for the inspire?
Single SelectVote, Total 300 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

47.00% (141)
53.00% (159)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2015-7-1
Use props
jon.mcclay
lvl.1

United States

The chat staff that I spoke with did not appear to know if it was a hardware of software issue...

screenshot.jpg
2015-7-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

My Phantom 3 Pro' still flies straight and smooth, & no deviation in a hover.
I must be one of the lucky ones. No cracks or screw hole punctures either. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-7-1
Use props
jon.mcclay
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-7-2 09:28
My Phantom 3 Pro' still flies straight and smooth, & no deviation in a hover.
I must be one of the l ...

thanks for the response, just to clarify, does your camera maintain a level horizon when recording at high altitudes?
2015-7-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, my Phantom horizon is 90* to the earth surface...
Like two parallel lines, or railway tracks. Straight!
As it has been since day one, before the updates.
Like one of my hunting arrows... Dead on the money.

RedHotPoker
2015-7-1
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Mine too, never had a problem with the tilt.
2015-7-1
Use props
pagliai.mauro
First Officer
Flight distance : 35365551 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Two imu calibration in a normal temperature conditions (25°) after the two upgrades. Just shaked in the air to try. Straight line, no issue.
2015-7-1
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

Mine's been pretty good, although I did notice a couple of days ago on a particularly cold day (2 degrees C) when the P3 had been sitting in a cold car for 2-3 hours it was off....  

I adjusted using the gimbal roll and it didn't drift during the flight.

Maybe there is a temperature sensitivity issue with the IMU in the camera?  (I'm guessing there is an IMU sensor in the camera, and the gimbal works to keep it level?)
2015-7-2
Use props
skyeboysteve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5616722 ft
United States

I've had horizon slant issues since day one.  At first I thought it was due to reaching gimble limit in high winds, as at first it coincided with wind direction.  In any case, I soon realized that it was entirely randomly directional (between power-ups)--fine while pointed in one direction but slanted when pointed another.  I've tried several IMU calibrations (including cooling in a refrigerator first; using different types of levels to make sure they all agreed with each other--relying of course on my landing gear being perfectly even).  However, after a stupid mistake on my part where I flew my Phantom into my HF antenna strung 20 feet off the ground resulting in a broken prop; not only does it now fly (with three new propellers) just as well as before, but now after several test flights, my horizon slant issues have disappeared--perfectly horizontal in all directions all the time!  I guess it could be said that it helped to "knock" a little sense into it?  Kudos to DJI for engineering a high tech device that can survive a 20 foot fall, and come out smelling like a rose.
2015-7-2
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

Mine is level and stable. Wondering for those that are having problems, could you FOOL IT?
It may be something not 100% level on the bird eg. mount,camera, sensor in camera or even the legs.
If it tilts down on right add spacer of fixed dimension to raise the right side then recalibrate then check for any change.
2015-7-2
Use props
Medevon
lvl.2
New Zealand

Interesting, at times very seldomly it is on a very slight angle for me...
2015-7-3
Use props
ImmortalCulture
lvl.2

Canada

Mine constantly rolls. I've done various IMU calibrations. Last few were done by an engineer on a leveling plate at his shop. Still have constant gimbal roll no matter what I try. And when I use the in-app gimbal roll adjustment the horizon level jumps around randomly and illogically but never stops the constant roll. As a camera having to constantly fix shots in post is absurd, especially with video where the roll is constantly changing so I must motion track the horizon to keep it level. I've been pushing the 3rd party story for a replacement but am having very little luck so far; them and DJI are pushing for it to be sent for a repair.

2015-7-3
Use props
info.marcelvoss
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1795 ft
Netherlands

ImmortalCulture Posted at 2015-7-3 16:50
Mine constantly rolls. I've done various IMU calibrations. Last few were done by an engineer on a le ...

Thats a very strange video, mine has the tilting problem too, I even had it replaced.
The new one is a bit better but it still changes when I rotate (YAW).

But yours seems to tilt spontaniously in mid air without any rotational movement of the Phantom 3?
Are you sure the gimbal mode is 'Follow' and not 'FPV' ?
2015-7-3
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

FWIW, my experience is that many photographers have horizon tilt issues, but don't recognize them, so I'm afraid your survey may be tainted. I see this with still photo's all the time. You  tell them their horizon is off, and they respond that it isn't, then when you show them a  3 or 4 degree lean (or sometimes even more), then they see it.
2015-7-3
Use props
info.marcelvoss
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1795 ft
Netherlands

dmwierz Posted at 2015-7-3 20:01
FWIW, my experience is that many photographers have horizon tilt issues, but don't recognize them, s ...

Yeah I totally agree, I think most Phantom 3 have this, more or less. I have not come across any video on youtube, including the one that DJI Uses on the main page, that doesnt have at least one or two tilted shots in it.

One guy I asked about his tilted horizon on a video of a huge building literally said "ow I thought the building itself was tilted"....

2015-7-4
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

You may be right about some not recognizing it. However when you shoot for TV broadcast you need to nail it. Mine's good. If it were to be slightly off I would fix in post. 4 degrees is usually pretty obvious
2015-7-4
Use props
ImmortalCulture
lvl.2

Canada

info.marcelvoss Posted at 2015-7-3 18:58
Thats a very strange video, mine has the tilting problem too, I even had it replaced.
The new one i ...

Am sure; have tried countless things to fix. All the store is offering is a repair. Am rather disappointed.  
2015-7-4
Use props
leon
lvl.1

United States

Well I have had the tilt also, Very Annoying, It seems to be ok once I make the roll adjustment, which is Negative-1.5. I wish it would just stay there! Every time I fly I have to djust the gimbal roll, That's not right! I tried calibrating, on perfectly level surface, it works for a while in flight then starts to drift Negative again.
2015-7-5
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

Yes, have the problem from day one. My read is, it is most likely the roll output shaft misalignment since firmware has no effect positive or negative. This can be easily solved by allowing roll adjustement to be SAVED. Easy.

Otherwise, this IS the most amazing and impressive piece of technology since the invention of the wheel, airplanes, and TV.
2015-7-6
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I'd like to see video examples from people who claim not to have any horizon-issues at all. Preferably video where they've flown a but and where they rotate (yaw) 360- and change the gimbal looking a bit down - and yaw'ing again.

Mine got a lot better by doing a full IMU-calibration (with a chilled Phantom). But it is not perfect all the time. It will go in-and-out of having a perfectly straight horizon.
2015-7-6
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

I don't think anyone can be perfect 100% of the time. Excess yaw rate or large pitch angle will throw it off.
A 1 degree angle is visible. Not much tolerance for perfection.
Mine typically runs level 0 degrees to 1/2 degree horizon low on left side
Once in a while will hit 1 1/2 degree horizon low on left.But to get that I pitch enough to show props.
Seems pretty good to me.
2015-7-7
Use props
Grossi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14199 ft
Poland

I need to do it every time before take off +3.4 this is strange.
2015-7-10
Use props
nomax
New

United States

My gimbal angle was perfect, when it was new.  II did an IMU calibration and since then it has been off depending on the heading.  Wish I never did the IMU calibration as it wasn't really necessary.
2015-7-12
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

I too have the automatic (not welcomed roll).  Many times, even after the gimbal adjustment.  If I yaw around, it will often correct when pointing a new direction and roll back when changing heading to the original "tilted" heading.  Could there be something in the compass sensors that are interfering with the with the level sensors?  Are they too close?    Just a thought?
2015-7-12
Use props
simonmcdonald1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1161886 ft
United Kingdom

ImmortalCulture Posted at 2015-7-3 09:50
Mine constantly rolls. I've done various IMU calibrations. Last few were done by an engineer on a le ...

i have same problem let me know how you get on . i am starting the dreaded process know
2015-9-5
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105318 ft

United Kingdom

This may not work for others but it worked for me - I set it to level while in flight and it works perfect now - I know that it sounds odd but it worked
2015-9-5
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

After looking back at videos that I have taken, sometimes my horizon is off and sometimes it is not. Tried all of fixes that I have heard about except for the one where you take apart the gimbal.
2015-9-5
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone checked if they are in FPV or FOLLOW mode?    FPV mode will simulate tilting in the cockpit just as if you were sitting in it.  FOLLOW mode will keep your horizon horizontal.
2015-9-5
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I think it is kinda cool when it tilts
2015-9-6
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Swedrone Posted at 2015-9-6 05:04
I think it is kinda cool when it tilts

like a drunk Phantom  
2015-10-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

If you do a proper IMU and Gimbal calibration, on a flat surface, you should be good to go.
I have taken off from some areas that were not evidently flat, and yet the camera remained quite level after take off. Go figure.
That best calibration is key. Even though YMMV. ;-) I have been very fortunate that this Phantom 3 has been exemplary.

I pity those with less than this kind of perfection.
One regret, sort of, If only I had mastered this flying stuff years earlier. Hehe
But the futuristic RCing equipment available today, is so awesome.

RedHotPoker
2015-10-29
Use props
greg copeland
New

South Africa

on my P3 pro shortcut to level horizon
hold C1 and C2, turn right thumbwheel
2015-11-3
Use props
abzauris
lvl.1
Flight distance : 129810 ft
United States

Does that c1 and c2 plus right thumbwheel work by default, or did you set that up? Thanks!
2015-11-12
Use props
seth.feingersh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 254639 ft
United States

Any luck with this being sorted?!
2016-5-15
Use props
AlexChok
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2615007 ft
Netherlands

I have a constant problem with the horizon!
This is the wrong drone. As soon as other manufacturers get right on their products!
2016-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules