RS 2 + Futaba developments
6323 13 2020-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SPi
lvl.1

United States

I am intereted in remote control devices used with an RS 2 with the intention of using an RS 2 on a cable car or RC car.

I know Bees View had posted a video showing some success controlling the RS 2 with a Futaba rc controller but that those functions were not supported at that time.  And I have since seen that recent a recent firmware release includes  "Added gimbal control...for the Futaba S.BUS remote controller (tested with a Futaba T14SC adn R7008SB receiver)."
Has anyone given this a try?  If so can you comment and give us some detail on the set up.   I saw in another post from Bees VIew that you need the focus wheel from the S/SC to the RS2 to have the sbus connector, but more detail on the connection cable, etc. would be very helpful.

thanks for your help.

2020-12-27
Use props
BeeS View
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

If you will be specific about any point you stuck I’m happy to help. You need to install the focus wheel as shown in the picture. There is a switch on the wheel between CAN and SBUS. That need to be on SBUS position. You need to order this cable to connect the receiver:
DJI Ronin 2 / Ronin-S - UART to D-BUS Cable (Part24)
Connect the RC receiver to the port on the focus wheel and if your RC RX and TX are proper paired you are able to control the Ronin via remote.
7DE087E7-E86C-4FB9-992B-F08FB2F11FBD.jpeg
2021-1-6
Use props
SPi
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for your response.  I have used a Ronin S with RC receiver which worked well.  Our set up with the Ronin S also uses the GPS module because it is part of a cable camera system.  I was just concerned if there were any issue in the actual operation of the S2 once you had it connected.  Where you happy with the way it worked?     
2021-1-8
Use props
BeeS View
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

SPi Posted at 1-8 14:08
Thanks for your response.  I have used a Ronin S with RC receiver which worked well.  Our set up with the Ronin S also uses the GPS module because it is part of a cable camera system.  I was just concerned if there were any issue in the actual operation of the S2 once you had it connected.  Where you happy with the way it worked?

Hi, you can use the RC receiver 1:1 like you used it on the Ronin S. The channels for the functions are identical to the S. New in the RS2 is this ramping effect for the joystick input that compensate the robotic effect of gimbals a bit. You need to tweak it to your needs. So far the RS2 is able to work with higher speeds ~100 km/h compared to ~70 km/h with the S. The supersmooth mode is very impressive when going fast speeds. By now the RS2 works perfect in tests on a car rig, jib, slider and under a drone (DJI S1000)
2021-1-9
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5236 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have SBUS working well with a Futaba remote and receiver. I am curious if it is possible to use the GPS module and the SBUS receiver at the same time.

I am also exploring connecting the CAN bus to the A3 flight controller to see if it can obtain GPS from that like other Ronins do. I am just not sure how to do SBUS and CAN bus at the same time. And/or will I be able to control the gimbal through the A3 flight controller.
2021-1-14
Use props
BeeS View
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

The GPS module will not work on the RS2 as you need the 12V/2A connect. I have tried the GPS module with the S on the car rig and did not see any difference with the module vs. without.
2021-1-14
Use props
SPi
lvl.1

United States

We are using  a Ronin S on a cable camera with an RC controller.  My understanding is that gimbals that don't have the GPS will momentarily loose orientation with the horizon when you accelerate the cable car.  Our set-up has the GPS and it works with no such problem, however I have not tested it without the GPS to confirm the problem.

I am going  to build a second similar system and I am trying to decide if I should use the older S model, which I know works well enough, or get the S2 with all its upgrades.  Although the S2 is clearly better, it may not work as well as the S in this sort of application because the Ronin S is easily connected to S-bus receivers through the focus wheel and has the GPS module option.

I find it a little disappointing that DJI seems to be going backwards as far as adaptability of their gimbal to other applications, all of which require interfacing with third party equipment.   
I would be very happy if DJI would buidl a turn-key cable camera or gimbal car system.  Since they don't, the next best thing is having their gimbals easily adapted.  We use a lot of DJI stuff; Inspire 2, Mavic 2 pro, Ronin S and a couple of Ronin SC's.  My biggest complaint is that DJI could be more helpful in supporting external controllers etc.

thanks again for your help and info

PS.  Have a look at "Tough As Nails" , season 2 starts Feb.10 on CBS.  You will see a lot of DJI supported shots.
2021-1-15
Use props
BeeS View
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

I was using the Ronin S, without GPS module, attached to some performance cars that accelerated hard and had, up to now, no issues at any point. For the RS2 all expansions and kits will come from Tilta, DJI decided to coop with them on that stuff. A Car rig, a ring grip etc as well as a cable cam system is announced since October last year. Up to now no one did receive anything most units were available on order since November. I know a bunch of videographer that start to be frustrated about that, myself as well. Let's hope Tilta will catch up with their backlog and the units will hold what they promise on paper.
2021-1-15
Use props
SPi
lvl.1

United States

BeeS View Posted at 1-15 07:29
I was using the Ronin S, without GPS module, attached to some performance cars that accelerated hard and had, up to now, no issues at any point. For the RS2 all expansions and kits will come from Tilta, DJI decided to coop with them on that stuff. A Car rig, a ring grip etc as well as a cable cam system is announced since October last year. Up to now no one did receive anything most units were available on order since November. I know a bunch of videographer that start to be frustrated about that, myself as well. Let's hope Tilta will catch up with their backlog and the units will hold what they promise on paper.

I totally agree.  DJI put in patents for a gimbal car over a year ago, however the is no indication that they will ever build it.  Similarly Tilta shows a cable cam for the S2 but no real info on specs or actual production.  It reminds me of the way Microsoft would announce "vapor-ware" just to suppress
competition .   
2021-1-15
Use props
fans5e007c81
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4515230 ft
Canada

So much useful information, Thanks BeeS View.

Do you think any Futaba with SBus will work on RS2? I'm looking for the Futaba 6K + R3006SB receiver. It's a less expensive option compared to  T14SC and R7008SB.
Also any advantage of using Futaba vs others brands like Flysky?

Thanls.
2021-3-12
Use props
morgan_jltech
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37818 ft
United States

fans5e007c81 Posted at 3-12 12:21
So much useful information, Thanks BeeS View.

Do you think any Futaba with SBus will work on RS2? I'm looking for the Futaba 6K + R3006SB receiver. It's a less expensive option compared to  T14SC and R7008SB.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to pump incoming sbus signals from a receiver through the built in USB ports on the RS2?
2021-6-4
Use props
fanse7f40b42
New

Germany

Hi Guys,

I saw many of you are using the RS2 gimbal on drones and cars. If you are using a SBUS Futaba remote, you are able to trigger the REC button, right? Are there any news to controll also the focus motor with the RC Remote?
2022-2-26
Use props
BeeS View
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

Yes record start/stop or taking a picture does work. There is still no function included to control the focus motor from DJI's end. I would more that love to see that.
2022-3-15
Use props
fansefc2240d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 226289 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi everyone!
I have the Ronin RS2, the focus wheel, the R3008SB receiver, the Futaba T10J.

The yaw, the pitch and the roll works perfectly. But I can't control the REC, the recenter.

I've tried to setup every aux channel. Still doesnt work.
Any ideas? Tks a lot!!
2022-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules