Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Has Anyone Else Used The RSC2 As a Smartphone Gimbal?
11778 20 2020-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
His DJI account
lvl.2
United States

I know, it's crazy overkill.  But I had no choice!  I CAN"T be the only one!  

Do you have tips or issues with your tricked out iPhone, Samsung,  Xiaomi, Huawei, etc?  Do you control your RSC2 through your camera phone  or a second "control" phone?  How is Active Tracking working for you?   Do you need counterweights?  For me, they were required in the smaller  gimbals.  I'm hoping the RSC2 is large enough to balance without them.   In general, I'm looking to hear about your experience with similar set  ups.  I found one other thread in this forum (iphone with no lens) and only  one video online (phone mounted on an RS, no lens, as a joke) with  similar set ups.

I'm using a Samsung Note 20 Ultra with add-on lenses and filter...sometimes a mic and light.  I wanted the OM4 but my rig is too big and heavy.  I tried others that could handle the weight, including the original RSC.  But because it's got all of it's weight in the front left corner and is pretty long, balancing it is a big issue.  The RSC didn't work because of the lack of Roll Axis arm balancing slide.  Thankfully the RSC2 does have it.  I just bought the RSC2 but haven't used it yet.

The minimum payload on the RSC2 is 0.4kg...400g...or just under a pound.  I'll never use the gimbal unless my set up is within weight specs, so that I don't stress out the motors or damage them (or whatever happens when the minimum payload isn't reached).  I hadn't thought I'd be weighing my camera equipment..with a kitchen scale...but I knew going in that this is uncharted territory and there'd be some strange discoveries...c'est la vie.  My rig with no mic or light but with my lightest lens and filter is about 420g.  That means the Note 20 Ultra with a slim lens case alone is below the minimum payload weight.  So I'm looking into adding some extra weight with otherwise unnesessary things like a riser plate, a heavier quick release plate, etc.  Although I'll rarely, if ever, use the gimbal without lenses on my camera.

2020-12-27
Use props
swh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9728 ft
United States

This isn't intended to be snarky... The Consumer focused OM4 Gimbal is 150 bucks. I wonder if that would work for your lighter kit combination. I did see that DJI and others sell weights that can be added on the pro level gimbals by DJI.
2020-12-28
Use props
His DJI account
lvl.2
United States

swh Posted at 12-28 06:03
This isn't intended to be snarky... The Consumer focused OM4 Gimbal is 150 bucks. I wonder if that would work for your lighter kit combination. I did see that DJI and others sell weights that can be added on the pro level gimbals by DJI.

Unfortunately, the Note 20 Ultra is too big for the OM4, it's not just a weight thing.  The height and width don't fit...the phone physically clips the gimbal very easily.  Also, while I was initially excited about the magnet mount, I wouldn't want to trust my $1300 phone to a magnet mount, especially when it clips.  Thanks for the suggestion though.  It wasn't snarky...but since you wrote that, I think I need to go apologize for the snarkiness of one of my own replies to someone else.
2020-12-28
Use props
djiuser_b7BL0cmhgd7V
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I have the exact same questions about using the RSC2 as a smartphone gimbal. Hope there’s someone who can provide answers? :-)
2020-12-28
Use props
His DJI account
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_b7BL0cmhgd7V Posted at 12-28 15:08
I have the exact same questions about using the RSC2 as a smartphone gimbal. Hope there’s someone who can provide answers? :-)

What is your set up?  Which phone?  are you using lenses?  filters?  Have you weighed your gear?  Do you own the RSC2 yet?  If so, what has your experience been like?

I'll post an update on my experience with it once I use it.  I think today is the day I finally open the box, charge it and try it.
2020-12-28
Use props
djiuser_b7BL0cmhgd7V
lvl.1
United Kingdom

His DJI account Posted at 12-28 16:10
What is your set up?  Which phone?  are you using lenses?  filters?  Have you weighed your gear?  Do you own the RSC2 yet?  If so, what has your experience been like?

I'll post an update on my experience with it once I use it.  I think today is the day I finally open the box, charge it and try it.

iPhone 12 max pro with (when it arrives) moment case and anamorphic lens. Which will be too heavy apparently for the OM4, hence the larger gimbal. Phone and regular Apple silicon case come in at 265g. Plus, like you, £1200 phone with clamp that barely fits over phone worries me.
Haven’t bought gimbal yet, still looking at options. My son wants a super easy setup for making ‘Scooter’ videos on YouTube and I want something that’ll do that for him plus is versatile enough to take my mirrorless Fuji setup as I’m dipping my toe into short films for commercial clients. I want to avoid buying 2 gimbals right now - money is pretty tight after this past year.
2021 is a brave new world of possibilities.
2020-12-29
Use props
His DJI account
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_b7BL0cmhgd7V Posted at 12-29 01:18
iPhone 12 max pro with (when it arrives) moment case and anamorphic lens. Which will be too heavy apparently for the OM4, hence the larger gimbal. Phone and regular Apple silicon case come in at 265g. Plus, like you, £1200 phone with clamp that barely fits over phone worries me.
Haven’t bought gimbal yet, still looking at options. My son wants a super easy setup for making ‘Scooter’ videos on YouTube and I want something that’ll do that for him plus is versatile enough to take my mirrorless Fuji setup as I’m dipping my toe into short films for commercial clients. I want to avoid buying 2 gimbals right now - money is pretty tight after this past year.
2021 is a brave new world of possibilities.

I have an answer for you but I'm going to be a little vague with brand names due to DJI not advertising a competitor product rules.

If you are going to buy one gimbal for everyone to use and you're using the iPhone 12 Pro Max with a case and add-on lens (I use Moment case and lenses too), you CANNOT use a small gimbal.  Small gimbals may not be able to handle the weight of your phone and lens (and filter) or even if they can, they may be too small (your phone or lens hit the gimbal during use) or they cannot be balanced without extraordinary measures.  Improper balance destroys gimbals...burns out motors, etc.  You MUST be using a medium sized gimbal.  Meaning the RSC2 or similar sized gimbal.  Large gimbals have a minimum payload that's heavier than your phone set-up is ever going to be...RSC2 has a minimum payload of .4kg or 400g or just under 1 pound.  Assuming the weight of your set-up includes the included Manfrotto/Arca quick release (170g), one of the included camera riser quick releases (19g or 21g) and your phone mount (weight varies - heavier is better), you should exceed the minimum payload weight when using your iPhone 12 Pro Max and case with no lens.  Keep in mind that you'll need to buy a different brand phone mount because the (only included in the Pro Combo) DJI phone mount has a maximum width of 3.6" and I think the iPhone 12 Pro Max is wider than that.  I found one for about US $15...Brand starts with letter U.  I chose one with a screw adjustment because I didn't like that the spring loaded mounts squeeze so hard...just don't clamp too hard with the screw or you can break your phone.  Make sure that the mount grips are wide enough to fully get around your phone and case...many will only fit my phone but not the 1.5mm Moment slim case that I use.  Last thing about the phone mount, when mounting your phone (both in the phone holder AND the holder to the plates), make sure that it is straight (not tilted, not crooked, not skewed ).

I bought the RSC2 for all the regular reasons like features, build quality, software, etc., but also some specific reasons.  After doing my research and in-person viewing (pandemic shopping is difficult), I figured out my priorities before buying.  Mine were portability, ease of use and future-proofing.  There are a bunch of products available but the RSC2 folds down the smallest.  I wanted my camera gear bag to be as small as possible.  I'm using a 10L sling and the RSC2 fits in both of it's small storage shapes (wide L shape 7.5"x7" & narrow I shape 10.25"x8.25")...and takes not much more space than some of the small gimbals.  Ease of use is a personal experience but as for me it represents using the product with as few issues as possible.  That's a combination of it just working the way it's supposed to, having the features to do what I want to do and be simple to use/not complicated.  This includes not clipping or the phone/camera not hitting any part of the gimbal while in use.  This is an issue with gimbals in general and big, heavy-for-phones phones with lens and filters that are very thin and very front, far corner heavy.  The RSC2 with my Note 20 Ultra set-up, including my 58mm heaviest telephoto lens,does not clip at all...I don't need counterweights to balance it perfectly either.  The final two gimbals in my shopping consideration had a notable difference...the RSC2 holds the phone/camera high up and the other one held it low, brand/model start with Z/W.  While both designs have their benefits, in my case, high up meant no clipping...and it also meant being able to see clearly and interact with the phone's screen with no obstruction.  I didn't test the low slung gimbal for clipping because viewing and interacting with my screen is top priority, it's got all of my camera apps after all.  The other gimbal is over a year old and there's probably going to be a new iteration released soon, so the newly released RSC2 has a bonus in future-proofing.

Is your son using your iPhone 12 Pro Max with lenses?  Is he very  talented with the scooter or will he be crashing a bunch?  The other gimbal does sell for about $350, $150 less than the RSC2, so  an argument can be made to buy the cheaper medium size gimbal for your  full set-up and get your son the inexpensive, small gimbal.  Also, is  your son strong enough and responsible enough to handle a $500  RSC2?  The RSC2, and the other medium gimbal, loaded with your full  set-up will weigh at least 3.3 pounds (1.1kg gimbal plus 0.4 kg minimum  payload, so at least 1.5kg).  If he has a  smaller phone, spend US $30 - $150 on a small, light weight gimbal that fits into a pocket.  I'm  guessing that the RSC2 will be too heavy to use while riding a scooter.  Then buy a second gimbal for  yourself and your beautiful and expensive (£1200 phone, £150 lens and £100 filter (that you should/might buy) camera set-up.

I've seen the original RSC on sale for US $279.  The Pan Arm doesn't have a slide adjustment for balancing, so I felt that it would be difficult to balance the phone with lens and filter...but full transparency, I couldn't touch one due to the pandemic, so I couldn't personally test it.  Also, the lack of Arm Locks, screen, etc made it's Ease of Use score go down...but at half the price, you may want to consider it.
2020-12-29
Use props
Velophotos
lvl.1
United Kingdom

His DJI account Posted at 12-29 19:11
I have an answer for you but I'm going to be a little vague with brand names due to DJI not advertising a competitor product rules.

If you are going to buy one gimbal for everyone to use and you're using the iPhone 12 Pro Max with a case and add-on lens (I use Moment case and lenses too), you CANNOT use a small gimbal.  Small gimbals may not be able to handle the weight of your phone and lens (and filter) or even if they can, they may be too small (your phone or lens hit the gimbal during use) or they cannot be balanced without extraordinary measures.  Improper balance destroys gimbals...burns out motors, etc.  You MUST be using a medium sized gimbal.  Meaning the RSC2 or similar sized gimbal.  Large gimbals have a minimum payload that's heavier than your phone set-up is ever going to be...RSC2 has a minimum payload of .4kg or 400g or just under 1 pound.  Assuming the weight of your set-up includes the included Manfrotto/Arca quick release (170g), one of the included camera riser quick releases (19g or 21g) and your phone mount (weight varies - heavier is better), you should exceed the minimum payload weight when using your iPhone 12 Pro Max and case with no lens.  Keep in mind that you'll need to buy a different brand phone mount because the (only included in the Pro Combo) DJI phone mount has a maximum width of 3.6" and I think the iPhone 12 Pro Max is wider than that.  I found one for about US $15...Brand starts with letter U.  I chose one with a screw adjustment because I didn't like that the spring loaded mounts squeeze so hard...just don't clamp too hard with the screw or you can break your phone.  Make sure that the mount grips are wide enough to fully get around your phone and case...many will only fit my phone but not the 1.5mm Moment slim case that I use.  Last thing about the phone mount, when mounting your phone (both in the phone holder AND the holder to the plates), make sure that it is straight (not tilted, not crooked, not skewed ).

Thank you so much. This is the best, most detailed reply I could have hoped for. It’s helped me make a decision and I’ve ordered the RSC2.
If I have any insights regarding usage of the iPhone12PM/additional lenses etc then I’ll be sure to post them here.
Thanks again.
2020-12-30
Use props
stripealipe
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hey, just bumping this post as i was wanting to do something similar and was wondering if you'd had success in mounting and balancing your smartphone?
2021-2-3
Use props
Lubos
lvl.2
Slovakia

His DJI account Posted at 2020-12-29 19:11

If you are going to buy one gimbal for everyone to use and you're using the iPhone 12 Pro Max with a case and add-on lens (I use Moment case and lenses too), you CANNOT use a small gimbal.  Small gimbals may not be able to handle the weight of your phone and lens (and filter) or even if they can, they may be too small (your phone or lens hit the gimbal during use) or they cannot be balanced without extraordinary measures.  Improper balance destroys gimbals...burns out motors, etc.  You MUST be using a medium sized gimbal.  Meaning the RSC2 or similar sized gimbal.  Large gimbals have a minimum payload that's heavier than your phone set-up is ever going to be...RSC2 has a minimum payload of .4kg or 400g or just under 1 pound.  Assuming the weight of your set-up includes the included Manfrotto/Arca quick release (170g), one of the included camera riser quick releases (19g or 21g) and your phone mount (weight varies - heavier is better), you should exceed the minimum payload weight when using your iPhone 12 Pro Max and case with no lens.  Keep in mind that you'll need to buy a different brand phone mount because the (only included in the Pro Combo) DJI phone mount has a maximum width of 3.6" and I think the iPhone 12 Pro Max is wider than that.  I found one for about US $15...Brand starts with letter U.  I chose one with a screw adjustment because I didn't like that the spring loaded mounts squeeze so hard...just don't clamp too hard with the screw or you can break your phone.  Make sure that the mount grips are wide enough to fully get around your phone and case...many will only fit my phone but not the 1.5mm Moment slim case that I use.  Last thing about the phone mount, when mounting your phone (both in the phone holder AND the holder to the plates), make sure that it is straight (not tilted, not crooked, not skewed ).

Hi, how do you put rsc2 into 10l sling and  which version of sling you have?
Please try to upload a photo. Thanx
2021-2-3
Use props
His DJI account
lvl.2
United States

stripealipe Posted at 2-3 00:47
Hey, just bumping this post as i was wanting to do something similar and was wondering if you'd had success in mounting and balancing your smartphone?

I find that mounting and balancing is very easy.  None of the adjustments are near their limits and the phone can easily be mounted.  Actually, easier with the RSC2/lens/filter than just the phone on Z CM2 (initials of brand and model b/c of DJI TOS) that I previously tried.  Lock the arms and balance each one in turn, like video tutorials show.  The RSC2 easily holds the awkwardly balanced phone/lens/filter setup.

The difficult part was finding a mount that fit my phone and case.  Do you currently own the RSC2?  What Phone and case?  Lenses?

My setup:
RSC2, of course
Samsung Note 20 Ultra
Moment Slim Case
Moment lenses - Anamorphic, 58mm Telephoto, filter adapter
Syrp 62mm variable filter
Ulanzi Phone Mount screw adjustment (no springs)
2021-2-9
Use props
His DJI account
lvl.2
United States

Lubos Posted at 2-3 04:22
Hi, how do you put rsc2 into 10l sling and  which version of sling you have?
Please try to upload a photo. Thanx

I use the Moment 10L Sling.  I put the gimbal into storage folded shape...which means all arms centered and locked then the gimbal is put into sling mode, with the top folded forward.  My sling came with removable space dividers with I strung together into a gimbal compartment (see picture).  I tried the 6L version but found while it could've fit, it would've been tight with little extra room.  The 10L version has plenty of extra space for my needs and really isn't much bigger on the outside...a couple of inches this way and that makes a big difference.  I can fit the gimbal in the side folded shape too but I find my current setup is the most space efficient.

What's in my bag (in the pictures):
  • RSC2
  • DJI Quick Release Plate and DJI Camera Mount Plate with the Ulanzi screw adjustable Phone Mount (all attached in a 'T' shape, under the leather Filter Case in picture)
  • Moment Accessory Bag
  • Syrp Filter Case
  • 26,000 mah Battery Pack
  • Moment Anamorphic Lens
  • Moment 58mm Telephoto Lens

With all that in the bag, there is still plenty of room.  I'm not using  the tablet/iPad slot, the zippered storage pocket on the inside flap,  the zippered storage pocket on the outside front of the sling and more than half  the storage in the accessory case is empty...plus all of that empty space in the main compartment.  I know I don't really need  the accessory case but it prevents the bag from turning into a pile of  stuff, which creates more usable space by organizing.  Same with keeping the battery  pack inside the accessory case, which keeps it from bouncing around.

Usually, I'd also have USB-C, USB-micro, USB-mini cables, mini bluetooth adapter (to make a poor man's lavalier microphone using a wired cell phone head set), wired cell phone head set, bluetooth ear buds if I'm on camera (I don't share these), wireless lens cleaning kit (air puff/brush, microfiber cloth), ac adapter, miscellaneous other things and still have extra room.  The cables, cleaning kit, adapters, etc are not in the pictures attached.

I also use a small Moment 2 Lens Case that attaches to the cross strap of the sling so that I have access to my lenses quickly, without having to go into the sling at all.  There's a picture of it next to the accessory bag to give you a sense of size.  

2021-2-9
Use props
Lubos
lvl.2
Slovakia

thanx  lot!!!
2021-2-13
Use props
djiuser_LpHRRVv9RteC
New

United States

I have a question as to whether there is an active track function on the app that DOESN"T require the RavenEye? I intend on doing the same thing (using a phone as the main camera) but wonder if I'm limited by needing to have the Raven add on. I found a cheap product that will pan and zoom a phone, but if I can get a gimbal as well it might be worth the additional expenditure. Thanks.
2021-2-18
Use props
His DJI account
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_LpHRRVv9RteC Posted at 2-18 14:54
I have a question as to whether there is an active track function on the app that DOESN"T require the RavenEye? I intend on doing the same thing (using a phone as the main camera) but wonder if I'm limited by needing to have the Raven add on. I found a cheap product that will pan and zoom a phone, but if I can get a gimbal as well it might be worth the additional expenditure. Thanks.

I have good news and bad.

The Bad - After "Will my phone kit fit?", my most pressing question was "Will Active Tracking work?"  It does NOT.  It should though.  Active Tracking is NOT available in the DJI Ronin app, unless you've connected a RavenEye.  Apparently, DJI moved the Active Track software from the gimbal firmware to the RavenEye.  Truthfully, it's a simple software update that DJI can do...but they probably won't because they want us to buy the RavenEye.  They still think that phones can't be used in the RSC2 because it hasn't been officially tested by them...seriously, that's what they said to me in email correspondence with the gimbal technical service department.  If you can figure out how to make them take notice that we mobile film makers are, in fact, using it, let me know and I'll join the effort.

The Good - All of the other app functions work.  Time Lapse, Panorama, Way Point Tracking (see picture of the Create page ver 1.4.5), as well as Balance Test, Motor Parameters, User Profile (includes programing the 3 gimbal mode presets), status and set up, etc.  So with some planning, you can get around active tracking by choreographing movement of both the subject and the camera...and you don't need to buy the other pan & zoom product.  I'd recommend staying away from Force Mobile if your camera is in the gimbal...for obvious reasons...and if it's not obvious, the feedback loop between the gimbal moving the phone that is controlling the gimbal's movement seems like a REALLY BAD IDEA.  It could be funny in a movie though but may damage the gimbal, since the RSC2 has rotation stops, when it should allow 360 degree movement.

I hope that helps.

Screenshot_20210219-222049.jpg
2021-2-19
Use props
djiuser_xoTr0N8Nkzi8
New

United States

Can the iPhone 12 max pro be used via the app DJI or does it just balance the phone ? Thanks

Is there anyone out there that has used the rsc2 with the iPhone 12 max pro working with the DJI app.

iPhone 12 max pro will be mounted on the rsc2.

This is a movement for mobile filmmakers!!!

Any advice?
2021-4-26
Use props
His DJI account
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_xoTr0N8Nkzi8 Posted at 4-26 18:52
Can the iPhone 12 max pro be used via the app DJI or does it just balance the phone ? Thanks

Is there anyone out there that has used the rsc2 with the iPhone 12 max pro working with the DJI app.

I'm not sure what you mean by can the iphone be used via the app.  As I've said in previous posts, with my Android all features work except for Active Tracking.  I use my phone as the camera and, partly as the gimbal interface.  Most of my gimbal interface is through the gimbal screen, joystick, etc.  I generally use my stylus (Samsung Note 20 Ultra stylus) to start/stop recording, take pictures, etc.

If you scan my posts, you'll see that some of the other users say that they use the iPhone 12.  Perhaps contact them to find out about their experiences.

Good Luck!

2021-5-6
Use props
fansa81e5f10
New

Netherlands

His DJI account Posted at 2-19 22:59
I have good news and bad.

The Bad - After "Will my phone kit fit?", my most pressing question was "Will Active Tracking work?"  It does NOT.  It should though.  Active Tracking is NOT available in the DJI Ronin app, unless you've connected a RavenEye.  Apparently, DJI moved the Active Track software from the gimbal firmware to the RavenEye.  Truthfully, it's a simple software update that DJI can do...but they probably won't because they want us to buy the RavenEye.  They still think that phones can't be used in the RSC2 because it hasn't been officially tested by them...seriously, that's what they said to me in email correspondence with the gimbal technical service department.  If you can figure out how to make them take notice that we mobile film makers are, in fact, using it, let me know and I'll join the effort.
[Image]

Thanks a lot for all the great info.
So if I understand correctly, with the RavenEye tracking is possible when using the iPhone as camera ?
2021-8-18
Use props
Rolf-OS
lvl.1

Germany

djiuser_b7BL0cmhgd7V Posted at 2020-12-28 15:08

Hi, i want to use the RSC2 as a smartphone gimbal too and my question is, can i control the Recording from my iPhone with the Recordbutton from the gimbal?
2021-12-19
Use props
fans65029c2e
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Is there a work around to make the record button on the gimble controls phone recording
2022-10-10
Use props
His DJI account
lvl.2
United States

Sorry I missed these last few messages.  When I got the gimbal there was no way to do it because DJI moved the control out of the gimbal and into the add-on RavenEye, which I do not own.  As I've mentioned in previous posts, I don't use the Record Button on the gimbal, I use either my stylus button (Samsung Note 20 Ultra) as a remote when I'm not holding the gimbal, voice activation through the phone or just tapping Record in the camera app on the phone screen right in front of me (if I'm holding the gimbal).  I haven't checked lately for updates to see if DJI is giving more function to Phone-as-Camera users.

My posts here and purchase of the RSC2 all started with trying to find the smallest most basic gimbal to balance the camera only...I was not looking for a full feature gimbal.  But because of the size and weight of my phone and lenses, the RSC2 IS the smallest and most basic gimbal that my rig fits on.  So for my purposes, the RSC2 is crazy overkill and for that reason, I haven't mastered the advanced features that I don't use.

As always, if you've figured out work arounds or found that DJI is offering new features, post about it so others can get answers quickly.
2022-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules