DJI Mini 2 Lost Contact and Landed in Ocean
5638 26 2020-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JohnnyKK
lvl.2

Australia

Well that didnt go so well, was getting some footage along the shoreline when lost contact with the Mini 2 it was about 150metres away at about 15metres high.
What was unlucky was it was about 12 foot over the water, a fella down that way seen it hover then come down and land in the water.

So now I have a fried Mini2

So when it was recovered i removed the battery. Then as it was in salt water which is not much good for it and the electronics the circuit board is fried and not sure what else at this point

I rinsed all the salt water out with fresh water and dryed it out, so now im guessing i have a lot of spare parts only now ?

So are there spare parts avaliable ? like the circuit board and other internal componets ?
and if there is where can i get them from ?

Regards JohnnyKK

2020-12-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

So why did your drone end up wet?
Drones don't land when signal is lost (unless you've changed the Loss of Signal action to Land - which no-one ever does).

Your flight data might give some clues to prevent this in future.
Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions.
That will give a report you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

so now im guessing i have a lot of spare parts only now ?

Not many - everything electronic is toast.
The props and SD card will be OK, and your controller etc, but the drone is a paperweight.
2020-12-27
Use props
JohnnyKK
lvl.2

Australia

Labroides Posted at 12-27 17:15
Drones don't land when signal is lost (unless you've changed the Loss of Signal action to Land - which no-one ever does).

Thanks Ill go locate the flight data  ... and see what going on

Cheers
2020-12-27
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-27 17:15

You and JJB are the best people I have come access at analyzing flight logs.

Without the logs, I lean towards what you said about changing the loss of signal to land instead of the default RTH.
2020-12-27
Use props
JohnnyKK
lvl.2

Australia

Ok Labroides sorted flight data

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/51FK2UO60C9A1K8XM9WO
2020-12-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JohnnyKK.  I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2. Since there was a crash that happened before. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to assess the said DJI drone and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for this trouble and thank you for your understanding.
2020-12-27
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you recover the sd card and could you read it? If there was video, that might help. Or maybe if you were caching the video, post a link to that., The log doesn't look like it tells much unless I am missing something. If I am reading the data correctly it looks like the failsafe was "go home", not "land". Lab will be better able to tell that though.

I doubt it would be worth the effort to replace the parts, since all the most expensive ones are likely damaged. Even if not, they would be very suspect in the future.

2020-12-27
Use props
JohnnyKK
lvl.2

Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-27 20:56
Hello there JohnnyKK.  I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2. Since there was a crash that happened before. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to assess the said DJI drone and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for this trouble and thank you for your understanding.

Thanks DJI Stephen , information sent

cheers JohnnyKK
2020-12-27
Use props
JohnnyKK
lvl.2

Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 12-27 21:02
Did you recover the sd card and could you read it? If there was video, that might help. Or maybe if you were caching the video, post a link to that., The log doesn't look like it tells much unless I am missing something. If I am reading the data correctly it looks like the failsafe was "go home", not "land". Lab will be better able to tell that though.

I doubt it would be worth the effort to replace the parts, since all the most expensive ones are likely damaged. Even if not, they would be very suspect in the future.

Yes recovered the sd card have the video up till a point then it froze and lost contact
2020-12-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JohnnyKK Posted at 12-27 20:30
Ok Labroides sorted flight data

You flew out and hovered 8 metres up, rotating the drone a little and hovering again.
At 1:38.2 you pushed the left stick hard up and the drone started to climb.
As it reached 11 metres the data stops.
The battery was fine and a faulty or partly discharged battery can be discounted as the cause of the incident.
The data just stops without showing any landing.
This looks like a sudden complete power loss rather than the drone descending under power.
The loss of signal would have been a result of the loss of power.

2020-12-27
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have read about a few instances on here where it seems that there was a connection failure between the battery and the drone. I wonder if this drone can suffer with battery plug issues
2020-12-27
Use props
JohnnyKK
lvl.2

Australia

Yes that's what it looks like ... is this a common fault or is this maybe a one off ?
2020-12-28
Use props
JohnnyKK
lvl.2

Australia

Yes that's what it looks like ... is this a common fault or is this maybe a one off ?
2020-12-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

JohnnyKK Posted at 12-27 21:17
Thanks DJI Stephen , information sent

cheers JohnnyKK

Hi there JohnnyKK. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Happy New Year to you and to your family. .
2020-12-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

JohnnyKK Posted at 12-28 02:56

Well, these are not very expensive drones and do have some shortcomings due to cost constraints. Have you flown around salt water area much with this drone? Maybe the accumulated deposits from the salt in the air did some damage to the battery connections. I do that a lot in my area and am awaiting the eventual consequences of drone failures while living "seaside" with rusting appliances all over the place ;-)
2020-12-29
Use props
JohnnyKK
lvl.2

Australia

Drone was less then a week old
2021-1-19
Use props
DukeofDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12885007 ft
United Kingdom

surely this should not be happening.

I fly my DJI mini 2 all over the water. Never let me down. (Touch wood)

Battery loss like this should be covered under the warranty. Do you have footage from the cache to see how the flight was going and conditions involved ?
2021-1-19
Use props
JohnnyKK
lvl.2

Australia

Yes footage and all the data DJI support looking at it at the moment
2021-1-19
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Was the battery still in the drone when recovered?
2021-1-19
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Sorry to hear about it!
Hope you have your drone functional  very soon again.
2021-1-19
Use props
JohnnyKK
lvl.2

Australia

Yes battery was still in the drone

2021-1-19
Use props
JohnnyKK
lvl.2

Australia

Cients Posted at 1-19 10:09
Sorry to hear about it!
Hope you have your drone functional  very soon again.

That ones pretty much fried like burnt toast ..
2021-1-19
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Portugal

JohnnyKK Posted at 1-19 19:29
That ones pretty much fried like burnt toast ..

Keep updating the situation!
2021-1-20
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Hope you get it replaced and DJI figures out what happened. Sometimes we never hear what the cause was, which could make people apprehensive about it happening to them also.
2021-1-20
Use props
AdmBenson
lvl.4
France

Is there an history of battery disconnect failures on the Mini 1 ?
2021-1-20
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Portugal

videoeditman Posted at 1-20 09:14
Hope you get it replaced and DJI figures out what happened. Sometimes we never hear what the cause was, which could make people apprehensive about it happening to them also.

Dear Videoeditman,

Completely agree!
2021-1-20
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

Wondering. I seen another post like this. The stick was pushed hard and it went up and the same thing happened with complete loss of power. So my question is was the battery clicked in and if it wasn’t it might have moved back just a little and lost contact. I had that happen one time and the door was closed and something told me to just re check and I did and barely touched it and I heard a click.
That may not be the cause here but just a thought.
Also why are so many flying so close to water. There has been so many that has lost their Mini”s because of the bottom sender. I understand that is not the cause here.
Doug
2021-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules