Focus Control and Raveneye
18278 23 2020-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pablo T
lvl.1
Germany

Hi everyone,

I was a long time user of the original ronin S. It was a great gimbal. I often thought about upgrading just my general rig, with the ability to have someone pull remote focus. As the dji RS2 came along, several sources led me to believe, that remote focus pulling would be possible from within the app.

And it is. But I can’t see the raven eye image while doing so. What use would that ever be? Why would anyone want to pull focus on the phone, without seeing the image? I don’t understand. It’s a simple software thing to enable this.

I’ve looked anywhere for workarounds, and now I’m asking here. I seriously consider sending it back. It’s great in any way, but just isn’t what I was led to believe. Maybe some of you have ideas, or dji could give me a statement on wether they will add this in the future.

Thanks
2020-12-28
Use props
InterMurph
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I have been trying to get the focus motor to work with Raveneye since I got my RS2, with no luck.

I have posted several questions here, but they have been ignored, and at least one has been removed.

When I connect my app to the gimbal directly, I am able to control the focus motor.  But of course I can't see the image.

When I connect my app to the Raveneye, I can see the image, and I can use the virtual joystick to aim the gimbal.  But there is no control for the focus motor.

This is required for fully remote operation of the gimbal, which is my use case, and which is the main reason for having the Raveneye in the first place.

I think they need to add this feature, and it shouldn't be too hard, as they have its parts scattered around their app.

I am about to give up and try something like the Camranger 2.
2020-12-28
Use props
julian_rsc2
lvl.1

Germany

I have the same problem.

I am using the Nikon Z6 which has the AFF mode for video for permanently focusing - this kind of helps, but it is no solution for time laps, selfies, panoramas and such, because while you are in video mode, at least on the Z6 you cannot take full resolution images.

It is really needed to support focusing and autofocus (or zoom with the motor) from the APP, with RavenEye or Bluetooth connection. It is hard to understand that there is no switch for it, since with the  gimbal handle you can do both. Are there any plans to add this by firmware update? (I am also not 100% positive to keep it otherwise.)
2020-12-29
Use props
YannParodi
lvl.1
Belgium

think this could be added by firmware upgrade or at least app upgrade. Please DJI would you consider it ?
2021-1-15
Use props
BeeS View
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

I’m wondering in what situation you are in need to pull focus via the raveneye app. Trying control via the touchscreen phone/iPad when switching to the virtual controller not very precise. Can’t imagine focus control via touchscreen will be any more precise.
2021-1-16
Use props
Pablo T
lvl.1
Germany

I just want to be able to let someone pull focus without dropping 300 bucks or more on a Tilta nucleus nano.
2021-1-16
Use props
Pablo T
lvl.1
Germany

It's possible now! Thanks DJI! Thanks so much for listening to your customers. Everything is working perfectly, I'm so happy right now
2021-1-31
Use props
F.A.D.
lvl.2
Germany

But still no option to control the focus by wire remotely like it's possible when using the frontdial of the Ronin...

It would be so much easier to just add that option, no need for installing the focus motor etc.

Please DJI add the focus by wire option to the Ronin App!!
2021-2-2
Use props
Pablo T
lvl.1
Germany

I only use manual focus lenses and no camera control cable so this doesn’t affect me, but of course the option would be nice for people who do.

Im also contemplating to use the 3D focus module
2021-2-2
Use props
F.A.D.
lvl.2
Germany

Pablo T Posted at 1-31 04:13
It's possible now! Thanks DJI! Thanks so much for listening to your customers. Everything is working perfectly, I'm so happy right now

Can you give me a hint, on how to control the focus motor? I updated everything but cant find the controls in the app...

Thanks!
2021-2-2
Use props
Pablo T
lvl.1
Germany

You mean from the raven eye camera view? You tap on the button on the left side, where you enable force mobile or the virtual joystick. It should give you 2 additional options now, one of which the one for focus control. A wheel will appear on the right side of the screen. You need the newest app version of course.
2021-2-2
Use props
F.A.D.
lvl.2
Germany

Pablo T Posted at 2-2 11:14
You mean from the raven eye camera view? You tap on the button on the left side, where you enable force mobile or the virtual joystick. It should give you 2 additional options now, one of which the one for focus control. A wheel will appear on the right side of the screen. You need the newest app version of course.

Thank you very much for your answer!

After some long testing I found out that it just shows on an iPad! It it not possible to get this on my iPhone 6 (I even reinstalled the Ronin App).

2021-2-3
Use props
Pablo T
lvl.1
Germany

Oh in sorry that’s too bad. Maybe they thought the screen wasn’t big enough. I can use it on my iPhone 11 and older iPad.
2021-2-3
Use props
SoerenM
lvl.1
Germany

F.A.D. Posted at 2-3 02:07
Thank you very much for your answer!

After some long testing I found out that it just shows on an iPad! It it not possible to get this on my iPhone 6 (I even reinstalled the Ronin App).

Weird.. sorry to hear, which version of the app does it have on the iPhone? Maybe it's slightly behind due to Apple review process? Works fine on my old Android Phone (5 year old Oneplus) .. app version 1.4.6
2021-2-3
Use props
F.A.D.
lvl.2
Germany

SoerenM Posted at 2-3 12:16
Weird.. sorry to hear, which version of the app does it have on the iPhone? Maybe it's slightly behind due to Apple review process? Works fine on my old Android Phone (5 year old Oneplus) .. app version 1.4.6

Thanks for your insight on the App Version, mine ist still 1.4.5 even after reinstall. Maybe the 1.4.6 needs iOS 13!?

Best regards,

David
2021-2-4
Use props
djiuser_TmUKAVIGMmq8
lvl.1

United States

The Sony app allows you to pull focus while viewing no problem.
Image edge ap.
2021-4-8
Use props
djiuser_3WLL8HKvlecO
New

Japan

Focus control is just greeted out for me
2021-8-28
Use props
djiuser_wcgIcFZN6PXG
lvl.1
Mexico

I had a solution to monitoring and pulling focus:
You will need two devices:
Do not plug your Raveneye to the gimbal (or plug it in a external battery source). Then connect one of your phones with the ronin app or tablet to the raveneye.
Connect the other device (phone or tablet) to the gimbal with the ronin app. Voila, you can see the image on one device and control focus, tilt and zoom on the other device. DJI can improve a lot the focus app. I really like for example the red Komodo app has a very cool feature to pull focus with colored marks and hard stop options. I added a cap screen of the komodo app as reference, I hope that some DJI developers read this so can take some inspiration to improve the app.
2021-9-6
Use props
djiuser_oTXkLpsjZE9r
New

India

InterMurph Posted at 2020-12-28 08:07
I have been trying to get the focus motor to work with Raveneye since I got my RS2, with no luck.

I have posted several questions here, but they have been ignored, and at least one has been removed.

Try to do on ipad...i have tried n been succesful see image n focus at a time n joystick also...
But still no available on mobile
2021-10-3
Use props
djiuser_5vzi7gYasxHh
New

United States

Any updates on this?
I tried to make this work for hours.
Got pic with mobile,
Gave me message saying to connect focus motor. Focus motor was working on gimbal but not showing up in app. Any suggestions?
2022-12-16
Use props
marjanos
lvl.1

Poland

BeeS View Posted at 2021-1-16 01:00
I’m wondering in what situation you are in need to pull focus via the raveneye app. Trying control via the touchscreen phone/iPad when switching to the virtual controller not very precise. Can’t imagine focus control via touchscreen will be any more precise.

I'm constantly focusing by touching small screen on my sony a7s3, so... yes it would be very helpful to have this feature on raveneye. In other case I can use sony's imaging edge app which can do this, but is a little bit annoying with connecting with camera
2022-12-21
Use props
djiuser_3j7JH5CzdfL5
New

Germany

F.A.D. Posted at 2021-2-2 10:44
But still no option to control the focus by wire remotely like it's possible when using the frontdial of the Ronin...  

It would be so much easier to just add that option, no need for installing the focus motor etc.

Add my voice to the choire. Please! This must be so easy to implement, the gimbal already does it! It saves weight, hassle, battery, time...

I was massively disappointed when I had to find out this doesn't work.
2023-10-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_3j7JH5CzdfL5 Posted at 10-9 23:39
Add my voice to the choire. Please! This must be so easy to implement, the gimbal already does it! It saves weight, hassle, battery, time...

I was massively disappointed when I had to find out this doesn't work.

Hi there. We're sorry if this has been requested in the past but has not been implemented yet. We will continue to let such feedback reach the designated team for consideration. Your understanding is highly appreciated.
2023-10-17
Use props
kahixa
lvl.1

Germany

Ultimately, it's a good idea to provide feedback to DJI about your concerns and expectations for their products. They often take user feedback into account when developing future updates and products, and they may consider adding this feature in the future if it's a common request among users.

If this limitation is a significant issue for your specific needs, returning the product might be a valid option, especially if the feature is essential for your work.
2023-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules