Dji fly app compass
2210 14 2020-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd3e6ab70
lvl.3
Flight distance : 493553 ft
United States

Wth the first mini had problems with it and now even the mini 2. Why in the world does the app radar show my direction I should be pointing my remote 90degrees the wrong way. If I did not fly strait line flights most of the time I would just be sol. Has anyone has this problem or solved it
2020-12-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Has anyone has this problem or solved it.
Many flyers have.
The issue is that magnetic fields that are part of your controller are deflecting the compass in your phone or tablet making it display wrongly.
Try calibrating the phone's compass while it's attached and with the controller powered up.
And/or try rotating the phone to put it's magnetic sensor further from the cause of the issue.
2020-12-28
Use props
fansd3e6ab70
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-28 16:27
Many flyers have.
The issue is that magnetic fields that are part of your controller are deflecting the compass in your phone or tablet making it display wrongly.

I have an iphone8 there is no calibrating the compass. I have also switched witch way the phone is sitting and it just goes 90 degrees the other way lol. I have also thought about getting a mount to raise the phone off of the controller but I think my antennas may be affected because of being shorter
2020-12-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansd3e6ab70 Posted at 12-28 16:32
I have an iphone8 there is no calibrating the compass. I have also switched witch way the phone is sitting and it just goes 90 degrees the other way lol. I have also thought about getting a mount to raise the phone off of the controller but I think my antennas may be affected because of being shorter

I have an iphone8 there is no calibrating the compass.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-calibrate-an-iphone-4172146
2020-12-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should be able to check the compass accuracy with a compass app running while attached to the remote. Also make sure you are not tilting the phone back from vertical.

2020-12-28
Use props
fansd3e6ab70
lvl.3
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-28 21:27
You should be able to check the compass accuracy with a compass app running while attached to the remote. Also make sure you are not tilting the phone back from vertical.

I know where north is with out even opening the compass app at my house it’s not about where north is on the radar is about the antenna placement icon is way off. To where it should be pointed at the drone it’s telling me it’s 90 degrees away from the drones position. That’s what’s really bugging me because if I did not fly strait flight paths I mite lose signal or where my drone is and that’s bad
2020-12-29
Use props
gpnmoab
New

United States

I have a new Mavic Air 2 and I've calibrated the phone while in the controller and the drone. I've done this outside away from everything that could influence the compass. I know where north is. The radar always shows the correct direction the drone is pointing  but the drones relationship to the controller is  wrong most all the time. It will typically show I'm pointing the antenna 90 degrees either left or right of direction the done is in. Sometimes it tells me the done is behind me when clearly it's in front of me. This is unacceptable and needs the developers to resolve this issue. I'm afraid if I lost site of it I could fly it off in the wrong direction so what I've had to do is just activate the return to home.  until I can see it once again. Granted I don't intend to lose sight of it but it has happened.  Has DJI officially acknowledged this issue and if so what is their response to this issue?
2021-1-6
Use props
fansd3e6ab70
lvl.3
United States

gpnmoab Posted at 1-6 16:48
I have a new Mavic Air 2 and I've calibrated the phone while in the controller and the drone. I've done this outside away from everything that could influence the compass. I know where north is. The radar always shows the correct direction the drone is pointing  but the drones relationship to the controller is  wrong most all the time. It will typically show I'm pointing the antenna 90 degrees either left or right of direction the done is in. Sometimes it tells me the done is behind me when clearly it's in front of me. This is unacceptable and needs the developers to resolve this issue. I'm afraid if I lost site of it I could fly it off in the wrong direction so what I've had to do is just activate the return to home.  until I can see it once again. Granted I don't intend to lose sight of it but it has happened.  Has DJI officially acknowledged this issue and if so what is their response to this issue?

I don’t know what they have said about the issue. But this is why I flight in a strait path Line and always keep home point. Lined up with the back on the drone in a strait line. Where home point is at the very bottom on the radar. That way I feel safe even flying out to further ranges.
2021-1-6
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2020-12-28 16:27
Many flyers have.

I’m not finding any interference from the controller with my iPhone XR, when mounted to the controller the compass and other apps are all showing the correct orientation.    Not a big deal as the radar doesn’t work anyway as you can’t see the controller orientation most of the time as it’s stupidly obscured by the home point.  
2021-1-7
Use props
goldenorfephoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3405390 ft
United Kingdom

Im using i phone 7 +         compass correct on mine, and this morning took off , set home point to controller carried on   walking the  dogs and blue dot on compass showed exactly the direction i was at compared to take off point and direction i pointed controller  .     on current firmware
2021-1-7
Use props
Henry7722
lvl.3
Taiwan

Sadly anyone that don't know about this specific issue, like DJI, always tells you to calibrate or get away from interference.
From my point of view, it's not interference, because mini, mini2, air2 with ios, android, SC,  any combinations, there exist this 90° issue.
What annoys me is that people consider this an plain calibration/interference issue so this issue can't get more attention. But what they didn't think about is: why all kinds of devices combinations all make this perfect 90° deviation in all kinds of situation? This must be a software problem!
And stop telling us to "calibrate", DJI!
2021-1-7
Use props
fansd3e6ab70
lvl.3
United States

I don’t know how many times I have to calibrate this thing. Or everyone else at that matter before dji sees this as an issue. If you really think about it could be and is to me a safety issue. Being told ur drone is some where it’s not.
2021-1-7
Use props
djiuser_267jcyL97zif
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15738737 ft
Bulgaria

Henry7722 Posted at 1-7 05:21
Sadly anyone that don't know about this specific issue, like DJI, always tells you to calibrate or get away from interference.
From my point of view, it's not interference, because mini, mini2, air2 with ios, android, SC,  any combinations, there exist this 90° issue.
What annoys me is that people consider this an plain calibration/interference issue so this issue can't get more attention. But what they didn't think about is: why all kinds of devices combinations all make this perfect 90° deviation in all kinds of situation? This must be a software problem!

Open google maps, or any compass app. Then just place  your cellphone on the remote controller, and you will see the same issue.

Now if you really want a fix.
First attach the cellphone to the remote controller.
Then start google maps, and just move the cellphone around, and do some steps on open area with GPS, and the maps will auto-calibrate your compass, It will be perfect in the DJI Fly as well.

Anyway, when you detach the cellphone from the remote, the arrow will point wrong direction, untill you start moving again.
2021-1-7
Use props
Henry7722
lvl.3
Taiwan

djiuser_267jcyL97zif Posted at 1-7 08:01
Open google maps, or any compass app. Then just place  your cellphone on the remote controller, and you will see the same issue.

Now if you really want a fix.

I did that on air2 with original RC and iphoneX, it gave me consistent 90° off, after calibration. Then I switched to SC, it is still 90° off.
It is so consistent that I can still fly out 2.x km in a very crowded city (120m attitude) , I just have to offset my direction 90 degreed.
Note this is with SC that has nothing to do with phone interference.
2021-1-7
Use props
Gregmaan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11965 ft

Germany

Hopefully DJI will be able to fix this issue in 2021. Sadly it was not fixed for the with the latest update for the Smart Controller which had this issue since the 1.1.6 Fly version or maybe before.
2021-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules