Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New FAA Rules, how will they effect Recreational Flyers?
849 8 2020-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Seisiuneer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20942 ft

United States

Just in:

https://www.reuters.com/article/ ... night-idUSKBN2921R8

I'm wondering about the "Remote ID" requirement.  It won't apply to the Mini, but are the larger DJI drones over the weight limit of 0.55 lbs?

2020-12-28
Use props
Seisiuneer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20942 ft

United States

Looks like we have some time before any of this goes into effect...
2020-12-28
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

(USA) It looks like drone operators/pilots are going to have to comply with the following:

a.) Drone companies will be given time to create some kind of remote ID module affixed within the craft to broadcast drone/operator location.

b.) Other option; drone operators can purchase some kind of broadcast module may be a separate device that is attached to an unmanned aircraft.

or fly a designated FAA approved field. In other words, operate a drone without Remote ID but at specific FAA-recognized identification area.

It also looks like they'll be a knowledge test will also be implemented and required.

2020-12-28
Use props
IMGing Studios
lvl.1
United States

I disagree with the implementation.

A. This remote ID is fine moving forward, but should not affect prior UAV's - in effect, grand-fathered. OR;

B. No. If this module is going to be a requirement for drone manufacturers, then obviously for drones built going forward (after/when it goes into effect - 3 years?) will have the cost absorbed into the purchase price. However, for those drones that are sold prior to the rules, then either the FAA needs to cover the cost of the module or the drone manufacturers, not the customers.

But, the Remote ID will function as "a digital license plate for drones" which suggests to me that it will be embedded into a firmware update, which should cost nothing IMO.
2020-12-28
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

IMGing Studios Posted at 12-28 18:12

A. This remote ID is fine moving forward, but should not affect prior UAV's - in effect, grand-fathered. OR;

I do not believe the FAA will cover any cost.  A president was set in the ADS-B mandate for all manned aircraft in ADS-B required airspace. The operator/owner assumes the cost of the compliance requirement.
2020-12-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

IMGing Studios Posted at 12-28 18:12

What makes you think the implementation will require a 'module'? This was proposed several years ago and DJI began transmitting identification information in the telemetry stream at the time. DJI even produced a reception system that could receive the ID and display it. It is most likely zero cost.
2020-12-28
Use props
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

I was reading about Remote ID earlier and came across https://bit.ly/3ruDeSO which explains DJI's Remote ID using WiFi Aware. It appears we have 32 months before they start enforcing this crap.
2020-12-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI already have a product for remote id (see DJI AEROSCOPE) they would just need to add take off location.
2020-12-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

There will be lots of discussion I'm sure over the new FAA rules.  Fortunately, we have time to comply.  These new rules could be why DJi was waiting to release Mavic 3.  
2020-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules