6757 28 2020-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The FAA has released the Remote ID for Drones final rule along with a rule on operations over people and moving vehicles, and night operations.  The long-awaited publications will clarify the details of Remote ID, and allow stakeholders from the commercial and recreational drone communities to begin to prepare for implementation – while expanding the scope of commercial operations with clear regulations on Operations Over People.  Find the full text of the Remote ID for Drones Rule here; the text of the Operations Over People Rule here.
At its simplest, Remote ID for Drones, or RID, would allow authorized people to identify any drone in the airspace and connect them with a pilot, much like an automobile license plate identifies a vehicle and that vehicle’s owner.
Summary of the Final Rule on Remote ID: No Network-Based Remote ID Requirement

According to the FAA announcement:
The Remote ID rule applies to all operators of drones that require FAA registration. There are three ways to comply with the operational requirements:
  • Operate a standard Remote ID drone that broadcasts identification and location information of the drone and control station;
  • Operate a drone with a Remote ID broadcast module (may be a separate device attached to the drone), which broadcasts identification, location, and take-off information; or
  • Operate a drone without Remote ID but at specific FAA-recognized identification areas.
What is not in the current rule is a requirement for Network-based Remote ID.
“In response to the NPRM, the FAA received significant feedback about the network requirement identifying both public opposition to, and technical challenges with, implementing the network requirements,” says the text of the final rule.  “The FAA had not foreseen or accounted for many of these challenges when it proposed using the network solution and USS framework. After careful consideration of these challenges, informed by public comment, the FAA decided to eliminate the requirement in this rulemaking to transmit remote identification messages through an Internet connection to a Remote ID USS.”

“These final rules carefully address safety, security and privacy concerns while advancing opportunities for innovation and utilization of drone technology,” said U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elaine L. Chao.

Remote ID: From Prosed Rule Making to Final Rule
In December of 2019, the FAA released the original proposal – the Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM).  In the three months allowed, the FAA  received more than 50,000 comments.  (See this article for more details on the NPRM.)  While some stakeholders welcomed the rule, others said that the rulerequired “essential changes” to make the rule less burdensome.
The NPRM text can be found here. Details effect many stakeholders in the drone industry, from recreational and commercial pilots to drone manufacturers and law enforcement agencies.
In May 2020, the FAA decided to work on technology requirements at the same time as they evaluated the comments and finalized the rule.  At that time, the FAA announced 8 partners to work with the FAA in setting up “a framework of technology requirements for future suppliers of remote ID technology.”  The 8 companies chosen were: Airbus, AirMap, Amazon, Intel, One Sky, Skyward, T-Mobile, and Wing.
Now, the FAA has kept their promise of release before the end of the year for both Remote ID and Ops Over People.
Ops Over People (and Moving Vehicles) and Night Operations
With Remote ID out of the way, Operations Over People and Operations at Night could also move forward.  The Ops Over People Rule breaks eligible aircraft into 4 categories, as quoted below.
Category 1, Category 2, Category 3, and Category 4 Eligibility for operations over people
The final rule establishes four new categories of small unmanned aircraft for routine operations over people: Category 1, Category 2, Category 3, and Category 4. The final rule also allows for routine operations over moving vehicles.
  • Category 1 eligible small unmanned aircraft must weigh less than 0.55, including everything on board or otherwise attached, and contain no exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin. No FAA-accepted Means of Compliance (MOC) or Declaration of Compliance (DOC) required.
  • Category 2 eligible small unmanned aircraft must not cause injury to a human being that is equivalent to or greater than the severity of injury caused by a transfer of 11 foot-pounds of kinetic energy upon impact from a rigid object, does not contain any exposed rotating parts that could lacerate human skin upon impact with a human being, and does not contain any safety defects. Requires FAA-accepted means of compliance and FAA-accepted declaration of compliance.
  • Category 3 eligible small unmanned aircraft must not cause injury to a human being that is equivalent to or greater than the severity of injury caused by a transfer of 25 foot-pounds of kinetic energy upon impact from a rigid object, does not contain any exposed rotating parts that could lacerate human skin upon impact with a human being, and does not contain any safety defects. Requires FAA-accepted means of compliance and FAA-accepted declaration of compliance.
  • Category 4 eligible small unmanned aircraft must have an airworthiness certificate issued under Part 21 of FAA regulations. Must be operated in accordance with the operating limitations specified in the approved Flight Manual or as otherwise specified by the Administrator. The operating limitations must not prohibit operations over human beings. Must have maintenance, preventive maintenance, alterations, or inspections performed in accordance with specific requirements in the final rule.

Ops over people is a significant step forward for expanded operations like drone delivery, which become impracticable in urban areas without the ability to fly over people and moving vehicles.    Night Ops will be allowed for certified operators with appropriate lighting.
Implementation
Drone manufacturers and pilots have some time to get ready to implement the new rules, which become effective 60 days after publication in the Federal Register.  Drone manufacturers will then have 18 months to produce drones equipped with Remote ID technology, operators will have 1 year after that to start using drones with Remote ID.
ANRA Technologies is one of the companies that has been deeply involved in testing and evaluating components of Unmanned Traffic Management (UTM) systems.  ANRA CEO Amit Ganjoo says that it will take some time for the drone industry to evaluate the rule in full and see how the Remote ID for drones final version differs from the version presented for comments in December of 2019.  “This is a step in the right direction,” says Ganjoo.  “We need to take the time to digest this information, unpack the details and see what this contains for all stakeholders – but now we can start to understand the impact that Remote ID for drones will have on the drone industry.”
“The new rules make way for the further integration of drones into our airspace by addressing safety and security concerns,” said FAA Administrator Steve Dickson. “They get us closer to the day when we will more routinely see drone operations such as the delivery of packages.”

2020-12-29
Use props
KnNLmS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 119967 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

Now, i see why DJI doesn't released Mavic3. Most probably Mavic 3 will be compatible with that rules to reach more professional customers. So it will not be a toy.
2020-12-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KnNLmS Posted at 12-29 01:27
Now, i see why DJI doesn't released Mavic3. Most probably Mavic 3 will be compatible with that rules to reach more professional customers. So it will not be a toy.

With these rules and the EU rule change coming on the 1st Jan I would agree with you.
2020-12-29
Use props
KnNLmS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 119967 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

It seems that Remote ID future will be available with an easy firmware update if the authorities approve the solution. But I don't think this will be a permanent solution. Like the IMEI, the remote ID should be permanent and any firmware patch musn't change anything on the drone. Otherwise people touch the FW and disable the remote-id by their own. And the final solution will be network Remote ID but in following 10-15 years i believe. Any drone needed to be connected to a network to fly over urban areas.
2020-12-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KnNLmS Posted at 12-29 01:57
https://youtu.be/E9yyM6GJH9c

It seems that Remote ID future will be available with an easy firmware update if the authorities approve the solution. But I don't think this will be a permanent solution. Like the IMEI, the remote ID should be permanent and any firmware patch musn't change anything on the drone. Otherwise people touch the FW and disable the remote-id by their own. And the final solution will be network Remote ID but in following 10-15 years i believe. Any drone needed to be connected to a network to fly over urban areas.

They already have a product that does this called DJI Aeroscope,   it would just need take off location added.
2020-12-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

Thanks for the information DAFlys and KnNLmS. Not being able to fly night-time would ruin a lot of nice pictures and videos. However I like the idea of using Wi-Fi, which should be a simple way of updating current Mavic 2 Pro/zoom drone as all info is already sent to the remote controller. Perhaps its only the software on the phone, which need to be updated, as all info is already there? I have not yet heard anything about this in Sweden, but sure they will one day see this from the USA.
2020-12-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the info!
2020-12-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're very welcome.
2020-12-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 12-29 02:20
Thanks for the information DAFlys and KnNLmS. Not being able to fly night-time would ruin a lot of nice pictures and videos. However I like the idea of using Wi-Fi, which should be a simple way of updating current Mavic 2 Pro/zoom drone as all info is already sent to the remote controller. Perhaps its only the software on the phone, which need to be updated, as all info is already there? I have not yet heard anything about this in Sweden, but sure they will one day see this from the USA.

Im sure the EU will follow suit in the future.
2020-12-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 12-29 04:46
You're very welcome.

2020-12-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing.  I have tried to stay on top of upcoming changes but this is the first time I saw this added:  "contain no exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin".
2020-12-29
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-29 06:10
Thanks for sharing.  I have tried to stay on top of upcoming changes but this is the first time I saw this added:  "contain no exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin".

So are they saying every drone requires prop guards?
2020-12-29
Use props
fans8caf620b
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4511 ft
United States

Prop guards sinks the Mini and Mini 2.   Nuts.
2020-12-29
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Visual Air Posted at 12-29 07:12

That is specific to the new rules for flight over people.
2020-12-29
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-29 06:10
Thanks for sharing.  I have tried to stay on top of upcoming changes but this is the first time I saw this added:  "contain no exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin".

Yeah, that part was definitely not there for <250g drones in the original NPRM.  I was sad to see it as well because that puts the Mavic Mini and Mini 2 well above 250g and thus a Category 2 instead of the no rules apply Category 1.
2020-12-29
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Very interesting information DA, thanks for sharing
2020-12-29
Use props
Ruzhye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795640 ft
United States

Thanks for posting, I have some reading to do.
2020-12-29
Use props
rrbailey89
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11096 ft
United States

So is the Mavic 2 Pro already compliant or could it be with a firmware update, ... or am I going to need to seek some 3rd party hardware to slap on it?
2020-12-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rrbailey89 Posted at 12-29 19:12
So is the Mavic 2 Pro already compliant or could it be with a firmware update, ... or am I going to need to seek some 3rd party hardware to slap on it?

Firmware update to include take off location I would expect.
2020-12-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

The way I read it that is specifically for flights over people.
2020-12-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 12-29 11:57
Yeah, that part was definitely not there for

Agree with you KlooGee.  It came as a big surprise.  
2020-12-30
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for digesting this for us!
2020-12-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DarthSLR Posted at 12-30 08:38
Thank you for digesting this for us!

2020-12-30
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-30 06:33
The way I read it that is specifically for flights over people.

Thanks for the info

2020-12-30
Use props
NightThunder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

Not necessarily. If it can be demonstrated that the props will not cause a laceration upon impact then you don't need prop guards. For example, if the prop "sheds" upon impact and does not lacerate the skin prop guards are not needed. Similarly if the prop (or props) stop upon sensing an imminent or actual impact no guards are required. Seems sensible to me.
2020-12-30
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

NightThunder Posted at 12-30 12:58
Not necessarily. If it can be demonstrated that the props will not cause a laceration upon impact then you don't need prop guards. For example, if the prop "sheds" upon impact and does not lacerate the skin prop guards are not needed. Similarly if the prop (or props) stop upon sensing an imminent or actual impact no guards are required. Seems sensible to me.

Thanks. Not like I will give it a try to see if it lacerates the skin any time soon. I avoid flying in areas of people anyways. Good to know.
2020-12-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

My pleasure.    Stay safe and have a Happy New Year.
2020-12-31
Use props
djiuser_gfMANdyuNIkq
lvl.1
Flight distance : 151414 ft
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2020-12-29 11:57
Yeah, that part was definitely not there for

I just contacted the FAA for clarification about what category my Mavic 3 Pro falls under (since I have no idea how to calculate kinetic pounds) and was told "No Category 2 drones exist", which I found strange. If they don't exist, why was the category created when writing the FOP regulations?
3-22 07:46
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_gfMANdyuNIkq Posted at 3-22 07:46
I just contacted the FAA for clarification about what category my Mavic 3 Pro falls under (since I have no idea how to calculate kinetic pounds) and was told "No Category 2 drones exist", which I found strange. If they don't exist, why was the category created when writing the FOP regulations?

Apparently in preparation for future use.  So far, no such drones exist in the US since not have been approved.  You have to do more than just meet the specification; you need to submit the drone and have it approved by the FAA and they haven't done any.  So far the whole category thing is pretty useless.
3-22 08:49
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules