Mini 2 stopped recognizing SD cards
4037 7 2020-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gregorhi
lvl.1
Ireland

Hi all,

today my Mini 2 stopped recognizing the inserted SD card (SanDisk, bought with Mini 2 order). The card works fine on the computer and I reformatted it there but still no luck in the Mini 2. I tried two other 64GB cards that also work in other devices and those are also not being recognized. The Mini 2 however does recognize an old and unlabled 8GB card so the card slot isn't totally dead.

Last thing I did before noticing this issue was to update to the new firmware this morning.
2020-12-29
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

never, never format an SD card on a compter.  Try to reformat the non-working SD card on your drone and check if it recognise it again.

The formating of a pc might differ from the capabilities of a camera (drone) and won't be usable in it.  A pc is capable of using different formats which a photo camera does not understand.
2020-12-29
Use props
gregorhi
lvl.1
Ireland

Never mind, a visual inspection with a magnifying glass showed that the left contact is missing. So it will have to go back without ever taking flight.
2020-12-29
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

gregorhi, is the contact you say is missing,  is there any evidence that it was originally there, bit of metal sticking up, like it was broken off?
Or, is it neat and uniform like it was made that way?  I try to format all things that can be formatted, in whatever I am going to use them in.
Hope this helps- and good luck.
2021-9-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting, I last formatted on my laptop and works 100% in the AC, I normally do format using the lappy after I have moved all the files needed, never yet had an issue in the 3 or 4 years flying
2021-9-18
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

JohnDG Posted at 2020-12-29 04:16
never, never format an SD card on a compter.  Try to reformat the non-working SD card on your drone and check if it recognise it again.

The formating of a pc might differ from the capabilities of a camera (drone) and won't be usable in it.  A pc is capable of using different formats which a photo camera does not understand.

This is absolutely not correct.  There is no reason nor harm in formatting an SD Card on your PC as long as you do so in FAT32 or exFAT.
2021-9-19
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Mhinc Posted at 9-19 00:39
This is absolutely not correct.  There is no reason nor harm in formatting an SD Card on your PC as long as you do so in FAT32 or exFAT.

well, I won't stop you doing so. And in most cases you can get away with it.
And yes you are  right it supports Fat32 and exFat as the specs on the site will tell you.
And you also get people having read errors on their pc of cards that worked fine on the drone.
Standard a pc will use Fat32 or exFat, unless you specify it differently. And still some have errors using pc formatted SD's. Not all of them, but some. Any explanation for those?
2021-9-19
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

According to the SD memory card association, you should always run a new card through their formatter on your computer or mac.
THEN, put it in the device you want to use it with, and format it through that software, for that device.
That's the proper methodology.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
2021-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules