Do I need a new computer?
616 21 2020-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

I just got a Mini 2 and it is a great little machine. On playback of video files on phone, everything looks really good and smooth, but when downloaded to laptop all videos seem to stutter and jerk. (Videos done at 4k 30fps). I suppose I could answer my own question by going out again and try shooting at 1080 and see if that will help.
This wee hobby is getting to be a wee bit expensive, SWMBO said to me!
2020-12-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If the problem is due to ageing PC hardware, then reducing to 1080 might well do the trick. And you'd be happy enough with the results, I reckon.
2020-12-29
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 12-29 07:48
If the problem is due to ageing PC hardware, then reducing to 1080 might well do the trick. And you'd be happy enough with the results, I reckon.

Just took the opportunity to fly again and shoot at 1080. Still the same. When viewed on computer after downloading, it looks like the video freezes and jumps back a couple of frames. Also just looked at first attempts at flying Mini 2 and they play smooth on computer. (Flying from same spot)
Looks like I will have to go through all the usual rimarole of calibrating compass, imu, rc, etc etc to see if I can improve things. I did update the firmware and everything seemed to go well.
2020-12-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 12-29 09:10
Just took the opportunity to fly again and shoot at 1080. Still the same. When viewed on computer after downloading, it looks like the video freezes and jumps back a couple of frames. Also just looked at first attempts at flying Mini 2 and they play smooth on computer. (Flying from same spot)
Looks like I will have to go through all the usual rimarole of calibrating compass, imu, rc, etc etc to see if I can improve things. I did update the firmware and everything seemed to go well.

Is this after editing?  I once edited at 24 FPS instead of the original 25FPS and that had a sort of "jump" every second, as though 1 frame was skipped over out of every 25.  If it's straight from the drone unedited I don't have an answer.
2020-12-29
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 12-29 09:25
Is this after editing?  I once edited at 24 FPS instead of the original 25FPS and that had a sort of "jump" every second, as though 1 frame was skipped over out of every 25.  If it's straight from the drone unedited I don't have an answer.

Straight from sd card. (first flights were ok and from same sd card.)
2020-12-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 12-29 09:28
Straight from sd card. (first flights were ok and from same sd card.)

Is it a high-performance SD card? DJI have a list of recommended cards capable of handling the high data rates. If the card is struggling, or is almost full, that may be a factor?  If you're going to empty the card and reformat it. it's recommended to do that in the drone and not on a PC.
2020-12-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there yogi053. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this videos came straight from the SD card of your DJI Mini 2. Can you please try using a different supported SD card for the DJI Mini 2 for us to be able to isolate the said issue. I will post the list of supported SD card for the DJI Mini 2 below. In addition, can you also please post a sample video showing the said issue for us to be able to see and assist you further? Thank you.

2020-12-29
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-29 20:09
Hello there yogi053. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this videos came straight from the SD card of your DJI Mini 2. Can you please try using a different supported SD card for the DJI Mini 2 for us to be able to isolate the said issue. I will post the list of supported SD card for the DJI Mini 2 below. In addition, can you also please post a sample video showing the said issue for us to be able to see and assist you further? Thank you.

[view_image]

Hi, DJI Stephen. I viewed the original flight videos and do see the stuttering in them also. I suspected that the SD card wasn't fast enough (SanDisk Extreme) and have ordered one that DJI recommend.
I also edited one of my videos using some software from Windows and it played back stutter free. So, I reckon it is lack of knowledge partly on my part and I'm sure that I will find a resolution to this problem and that the Mini 2 is not to blame. I will publish results on here when I get the chance to fly again with the new card. Thank you for your attention in this matter.
2020-12-30
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 12-29 10:35
Is it a high-performance SD card? DJI have a list of recommended cards capable of handling the high data rates. If the card is struggling, or is almost full, that may be a factor?  If you're going to empty the card and reformat it. it's recommended to do that in the drone and not on a PC.

Thanks for your input Bleriot53. I have been formatting the card in the pc. Now on your advice it will be the drone from now on. Cheers.
2020-12-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 12-30 01:32
Thanks for your input Bleriot53. I have been formatting the card in the pc. Now on your advice it will be the drone from now on. Cheers.

Good luck with it all.
2020-12-30
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

yogi053 Posted at 12-30 01:05
Hi, DJI Stephen. I viewed the original flight videos and do see the stuttering in them also. I suspected that the SD card wasn't fast enough (SanDisk Extreme) and have ordered one that DJI recommend.
I also edited one of my videos using some software from Windows and it played back stutter free. So, I reckon it is lack of knowledge partly on my part and I'm sure that I will find a resolution to this problem and that the Mini 2 is not to blame. I will publish results on here when I get the chance to fly again with the new card. Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Be careful where you buy the SD card. There are a lot of clone cards sold on amazon and eBay that are rubbish but still labeled as SanDisk. If you want to be sure buy from DJI or other reputable dealers..
2020-12-30
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 12-30 02:21
Be careful where you buy the SD card. There are a lot of clone cards sold on amazon and eBay that are rubbish but still labeled as SanDisk. If you want to be sure buy from DJI or other reputable dealers..

Good advice, thank you!
2020-12-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

yogi053 Posted at 12-30 01:05
Hi, DJI Stephen. I viewed the original flight videos and do see the stuttering in them also. I suspected that the SD card wasn't fast enough (SanDisk Extreme) and have ordered one that DJI recommend.
I also edited one of my videos using some software from Windows and it played back stutter free. So, I reckon it is lack of knowledge partly on my part and I'm sure that I will find a resolution to this problem and that the Mini 2 is not to blame. I will publish results on here when I get the chance to fly again with the new card. Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Hi there yogi053. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have given. If you have any other concerns or inquiries with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and assist you. Thank you and Happy New Year to you and to your family. .
2020-12-31
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-31 02:24
Hi there yogi053. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have given. If you have any other concerns or inquiries with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and assist you. Thank you and Happy New Year to you and to your family.  .

Happy New Year to you and yours Stephen, "Lang may yer lum reek".
(Should you need translation, just ask!)
2020-12-31
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

OK, so, just a bit of an update. I have used 2 SD cards in my Mini 2. First 1 is a Sandisk 64 GB SDXC I 1 10 A1 and 2nd is a Sandisk 32GB Extreme SDHC I V30 3 A1. Both are not new cards and I am awaiting a new Sandisk Extreme PLUS 128GB Micro SDXC Memory card with A2 App Performance up to 170MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30.
Both the 32 and 64 cards give stuttering video results at 4k and 2.7k but smooth video at 1080.
Watching youtube videos and obtaining opinions on here I am somewhat confused now because of differing information on SD card compatibility. It seems that according to some folk if the card is not quick enough then it should Not record 4k at all. I have sighted the Dji approved list and that is why I am awaiting the new card. I will post results of what happens on this thread when I attempt to use that card when it arrives.
2021-1-2
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a Lenovo Legion 7i 15.6inch gaming laptop that has an Intel Core i9-10980hk (turbo up to 5.30Ghz) 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER MAX Q, 1TB SSD + 512GB SSD and it runs anything with ease.
2021-1-2
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

yogi053 Posted at 1-2 07:04
OK, so, just a bit of an update. I have used 2 SD cards in my Mini 2. First 1 is a Sandisk 64 GB SDXC I 1 10 A1 and 2nd is a Sandisk 32GB Extreme SDHC I V30 3 A1. Both are not new cards and I am awaiting a new Sandisk Extreme PLUS 128GB Micro SDXC Memory card with A2 App Performance up to 170MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30.
Both the 32 and 64 cards give stuttering video results at 4k and 2.7k but smooth video at 1080.
Watching youtube videos and obtaining opinions on here I am somewhat confused now because of differing information on SD card compatibility. It seems that according to some folk if the card is not quick enough then it should Not record 4k at all. I have sighted the Dji approved list and that is why I am awaiting the new card. I will post results of what happens on this thread when I attempt to use that card when it arrives.

May I suggest you copy the video files to your hard drive and run them from there. This is the fastest way data can be transferred. SD cards should be avoided for playback and editing for this reason.

If you have a windows computer,  I am sure apple do the same, you can see the actual transfer speed when you move a file from an external source to the hard drive or back again.

Consider also that to maximise data transfer within any computer, the hard drive needs to be defragmented (SSD drives do this automatically and shouldn't be fiddled with). Also, although you might have several processor cores, each core can only do one thing at a time. If some other process is going on behind the scenes, internet use, another piece of software running... this will slow down the computer.
Old computer drives should be wiped and the OS reinstalled to remove all rubbish. The boost in performance will surprise you. Don't put the rubbish back though.
2021-1-2
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 1-2 10:04
May I suggest you copy the video files to your hard drive and run them from there. This is the fastest way data can be transferred. SD cards should be avoided for playback and editing for this reason.

If you have a windows computer,  I am sure apple do the same, you can see the actual transfer speed when you move a file from an external source to the hard drive or back again.

That is exactly what I do! As soon as I have finished flying I remove the SD card from the Mini 2 and insert it into my laptop via a card reader slot.
From there, all videos at 4k stutter badly but the files from the phone when copied are ok because they come from the DJI cache and are at 720.
I also have no other programmes running at the time I am downloading to the laptop.
2021-1-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

yogi053 Posted at 1-2 11:35
That is exactly what I do! As soon as I have finished flying I remove the SD card from the Mini 2 and insert it into my laptop via a card reader slot.
From there, all videos at 4k stutter badly but the files from the phone when copied are ok because they come from the DJI cache and are at 720.
I also have no other programmes running at the time I am downloading to the laptop.

I think you missed what AlansDronePics was saying, and I agree with him completely. Copy the file off the SD card to your HDD or SSD, then play it from the HDD/SSD. Do not play the file from the card.

You also might try downloading a free copy of VLC Player and use that to play your files, it is a lot better than the native player on your machine.

2021-1-2
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 1-2 13:43
I think you missed what AlansDronePics was saying, and I agree with him completely. Copy the file off the SD card to your HDD or SSD, then play it from the HDD/SSD. Do not play the file from the card.

You also might try downloading a free copy of VLC Player and use that to play your files, it is a lot better than the native player on your machine.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear! After I copy the files to my laptop HDD, I then play them back from the hard drive using VLC.
2021-1-2
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 1-2 13:52
Maybe I didn't make myself clear! After I copy the files to my laptop HDD, I then play them back from the hard drive using VLC.

Hello again. Update on my problem playing back videos higher than 1080.
I finally obtained 3 more cards (higher speed).
A 128 gb Sandisk Extreme Plus V30 A2 U3 card as on Dji list and 2 others of 64 gb Samsung Evo Plus. Now I know I bought them from Amazon, but they came in manufacturer's original packaging so I expect they will be ok.
Did a couple of Test flights today at 4k and found that the videos when flying stutter, stop, judder and completely unusable.
BUT!
When I take quick shots at 4k they show perfectly.
Well, no judder no jumping back etc etc. I will eventually post the videos on here to show the difference  between the quick shot and flying items. Not very techie, so might take me a little while.
2021-1-12
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 1-12 11:10
Hello again. Update on my problem playing back videos higher than 1080.
I finally obtained 3 more cards (higher speed).
A 128 gb Sandisk Extreme Plus V30 A2 U3 card as on Dji list and 2 others of 64 gb Samsung Evo Plus. Now I know I bought them from Amazon, but they came in manufacturer's original packaging so I expect they will be ok.

How do I move this topic to the Mini 2 thread?I'll just close this here as it really should be on Mini 2 thread!

2021-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules