Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New FAA Remote Pilot Rules
779 14 2020-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_r ... I6QOgegJfh_iLH7QUck

1. Operate a standard Remote ID drone that broadcasts identification and location information of the drone and control station;
2. Operate a drone with a Remote ID broadcast module (may be a separate device attached to the drone), which broadcasts identification, location, and take-off information; or
3. Operate a drone without Remote ID but at specific FAA-recognized identification areas.

2020-12-29
Use props
A Crawford
lvl.1
United States

Will dji provide something that will allow the mavic pro 2 to meet these requirements?
2020-12-29
Use props
John Ski
lvl.1
United States

Will DJI have something that will allow the Mini 2 to meet the FAA requirements?
2020-12-29
Use props
Ruzhye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795640 ft
United States

I wonder if the Air 2 will be able to transmit, or continue to only receive ADS-B in?
2020-12-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All DJI drones currently transmit most of this information,  you need DJI Aeroscope to be able to receive it though.
2020-12-30
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

Ruzhye Posted at 12-29 13:10
I wonder if the Air 2 will be able to transmit, or continue to only receive ADS-B in?

No need to transmit ADS-B. In fact the FAA forbids this except in rare instances and requires a waiver. IMO it was a brain dead idea to even consider ADS-B out in the first place.
2020-12-30
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

A Crawford Posted at 12-29 10:37
Will dji provide something that will allow the mavic pro 2 to meet these requirements?

DJI will add it the Mavic 3 pro.
2020-12-30
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wonder if the Air 2 will be able to transmit, or continue to only receive ADS-B in?

Mavic Air 2's ADS-B is out only.
2020-12-30
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 12-30 13:22
Mavic Air 2's ADS-B is out only.

No, it is not ADS-B "out". It is ADS-B in only. You can only "receive" ADS-B signals, not transmit. That is the current state of affairs.
If there are enough requests (more than 2) I will explain further as to why this is.

More importantly what this means is that remote ID for most drones will require a firm ware update and small small updates to the controller software. No hardware changes.

BTW: DJI has already added a software placeholder for remote ID to the Go4 app for M2. Probably others as well which I don't own so I cannot verify.
2020-12-30
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I wonder if the Air 2 will be able to transmit, or continue to only receive ADS-B in?

This ADS-B in the Mavic air 2 appears to only be a ADS-B receiver. It is unlikely the hardware will support ADS-B transmission.
2020-12-30
Use props
Ruzhye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795640 ft
United States

NightThunder Posted at 12-30 19:00
No, it is not ADS-B "out". It is ADS-B in only. You can only "receive" ADS-B signals, not transmit. That is the current state of affairs.
If there are enough requests (more than 2) I will explain further as to why this is.

Thank you, that makes sense.
2020-12-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Number 1, I’m not sure how this will go down and if pilot will be at risk of being harassed, we do know dji originally did not want FAA to go this route, but it looks like they are going to broadcast anyway. I do remember a certain Hedgetrimmer telling all and sundry that the FAA would 100% not implement this, well must be eating his words now....
2020-12-31
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
United States

I should also mention that ADS-B for drones has NOTHING to do with remote ID. Remote ID is a requirement to broadcast from the UAV directly it's identity, location, etc. and will use current 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio frequencies for broadcast. If the final data packet (format, elements, etc.) has been established I have not seen that published anywhere. Everything I have seen has been conjecture at best. And now with dropping the need for internet connection, the packet format must change as there is not longer a need or ability to establish a "Session ID" element. This is a big deal. Makes things much easier.

Another thing is that as proposed only qualified (my word) authorities will be able to trace a drone back to it's owner so we will have a little bit of anonymity. As far as take off location in the clear that seems to be the current specifiaction. To me that is troubling and should NOT be in the clear and is relatively easily to obfuscate. Simply change RTH to RTC (return to controller) and get up off your ass and move to a new location. There is no requirement to continually update the location of the controller (take off point?) and there is no way to detect where the operator eventually decides to land the UAV rendering this information dubious at best and useless at worst.
IMO Remote ID is still a mess but steps are being taken in the right direction. Dropping the need for ineternet connection removes the ability of having centralized supplied session IDs which totally removes the cost and complexity of establishing USS providers is one such step. Another is that the public will not have access as to who is flying a specific UAV.

Lots of work still for the FAA.

2020-12-31
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

NightThunder Posted at 12-31 12:10
I should also mention that ADS-B for drones has NOTHING to do with remote ID. Remote ID is a requirement to broadcast from the UAV directly it's identity, location, etc. and will use current 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio frequencies for broadcast. If the final data packet (format, elements, etc.) has been established I have not seen that published anywhere. Everything I have seen has been conjecture at best. And now with dropping the need for internet connection, the packet format must change as there is not longer a need or ability to establish a "Session ID" element. This is a big deal. Makes things much easier.

Another thing is that as proposed only qualified (my word) authorities will be able to trace a drone back to it's owner so we will have a little bit of anonymity. As far as take off location in the clear that seems to be the current specifiaction. To me that is troubling and should NOT be in the clear and is relatively easily to obfuscate. Simply change RTH to RTC (return to controller) and get up off your ass and move to a new location. There is no requirement to continually update the location of the controller (take off point?) and there is no way to detect where the operator eventually decides to land the UAV rendering this information dubious at best and useless at worst.

Return to Controller?  The Controller GPS location is way off unless the manufacturers install each controller with a GPS.
2020-12-31
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 2020-12-31 22:54
Return to Controller?  The Controller GPS location is way off unless the manufacturers install each controller with a GPS.

My bad.  Perhaps I should have said "Return to Me" where the home point is set to the dynamic GPS location of the smart device (i,e, phone) connected to the controller. This of course assumes you have a device that supports GPS and GPS is turned on said device and is connected. At least that is how my M2P works. Can't say about other DJI Drones though.
2021-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules