Pontoon's for Phantom?
3169 3 2014-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ron
New

United States

I live on a lake and plan on doing allot of wakeboarding videos. I am a bit nervous about drowning my Phantom. Has anybody tried putting some type of floatation on  the landing gear? Maybe a pontoon style type of floatation. Am I crazy for trying something like this??

Ron
2014-11-22
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Theres plenty of different and very efficient ideas on youtube......
I like the plastic bottles on all 4 arms.........

But use it as an emergency device.
Be under no illusions of floating / sailing around or any aggressive water landing, your Phantom does not like water, full stop.
2014-11-22
Use props
alaskaflyboy
lvl.1

United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-11-23 11:20
Theres plenty of different and very efficient ideas on youtube......
I like the plastic bottles on a ...

I have filmed with my DJI Phantom 2 Vision+  over water; if you add pontoons  you will end up with pontoons in your videos.   Just about anything you stick on your landing gear that sticks out toward the camera will show up in your video.  I put on some landing gear extenders and even that was too much.    Pontoons will decrease your battery life, make your craft more prone to wind effects, and decrease performance when you need to maximize it instead when doing overwater stuff.   A better bet is to get good at flying your machine, become confident in your ability to make it go where you want, and know how to watch your battery life and make sure you are back on land long before it gets critical.    Just my 2cents worth....
2014-11-22
Use props
ghostmaster
lvl.2

Portugal

alaskaflyboy@me Posted at 2014-11-23 15:12
I have filmed with my DJI Phantom 2 Vision+  over water; if you add pontoons  you will end up with ...

i agree, but please dont go fly over water without plenty of hours of experience, or bad things will happen...

I have some years on this hobby and flying over water is always risky.
2014-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules