Phantom 3 1.2.6/1.2.8 Firmware Update Issues and Resolutions
42656 279 2015-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-16 08:23
I am looking into it but I have no advice at this time.

Thank you DJI-Dave. I will check here regularly and keep my fingers crossed. I really hope you can help on this.
2015-7-15
Use props
rob.van.der.sta
lvl.1

Netherlands

Upgrade my new P3P after several succesful flights to new 1.2.6 firmware. Now everytime I start the system it reports Data Recorder Errors (MC Error appears mid top screen so "safe to fly" never is visible). Reformatting the Data Recorder doesn't help. The P3P flies ok, although I had also some issues with erratic behaviour when VPS was turned on.
I sent in two reports to DJI support (the 2nd after having not heard from the 1st for a while), but I did get 2 answers:
1. Send back the P3P for repair
2. Have patience, new firmware is coming.

Now what. Wait?
2015-7-15
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

rivera_albert@c Posted at 2015-7-8 23:34
I would greatly appreciate some input on an issue.  I have been dealing with the tilted horizon issu ...

The horizon drift has been solved to a degree the horizon tilt has not and the only solution is to send the unit in to DJI for repair.  Sorry.
2015-7-15
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnnyMachete Posted at 2015-7-9 14:16
Dear Autumn please give us a date, we are waiting and meanwhile we are crying. Im everyday googleing ...

I fly my P3 daily and have had no issues.  What are you seeing on your craft that makes you cry?  You should be smiling.  We would like to help but need to know from you want is up with your P3.
2015-7-15
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

prestonswann Posted at 2015-7-15 06:41
Sadly due to the erratic behavior of my P3P since the latest FW update, I have had to ground her unt ...

What issues are you having?  You say you have grounded your P3.  Why?  Specifics will allow us to help you.
2015-7-15
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jcampbell0674@y Posted at 2015-7-15 11:31
Here is my issue... and thus far..  I have not received any help from DJI.  I called, and all I get  ...

The gimbal overload issue is a misreporting from the App.  It will have no effect when flying.  Please disregard and it will be fixed in the next version of the App.
2015-7-15
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

williamjamesfpv Posted at 2015-7-15 19:03
So I received my Phantom 3 Advanced yesterday and went to upgrade the firmware today. I upgraded the ...

I would remove and reinstall the App on your device.  If the txt file is saying that your Tx is current then it is being misreported in the App.  If that does not work then please let us know.
2015-7-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

williamjamesfpv Posted at 2015-7-16 14:08
Thank you DJI-Dave. I will check here regularly and keep my fingers crossed. I really hope you can ...

williamjamesfpv, I would do as Tahoe Ed advises.
2015-7-16
Use props
joel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1805141 ft
  • >>>
United States

I did the upgrade and for several flights and had no issues.  Then the gimbal warning started.  I replace the app and the majority of the time all was fine.  Had no problem as mentioned.  Then two days ago all at once I had periodic video cut outs and then it temporarily went out.  I hit the RTH button but the craft didn't respond.  I had a runaway... Fortunately I was flying in the Kansas.  Unfortunately the last we saw on the radar it was over 5,000 feet away.  We did an extensive search but can't find it.  The good news...... my new one is to be delivered today.  I only wish I could get the memory card, there was some good footage on it.  
So I sympathize with those that complain, have problems, it's a bummer.  For those that have no empathy or decent advice, go find something better to do, like fly your P3.
2015-7-16
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

williamjamesfpv Posted at 2015-7-16 00:56
Anyone able to help on this?

Williamjamesfpv,

I had the same problem trying to update the firmware on a new 2nd RC for my Inspire 1 that I purchased from an eBay retailer.  I could not get the transmitter to read the firmware .bin file from the root directory of a micro-SD card in a USB 3.0 card reader, or from a USB 3.0 memory stick, or from the micro-SD card installed in the Inspire 1 camera using a USB cable connection from the RC to the camera. Also, the transmitter would not even link to my iPad Air 2 to perform a stick calibration via the DJI Pilot App.

However, I was able to upgrade the RC firmware successfully by using an old USB 2.0 1 GB memory stick after formatting it on my PC and putting the .bin file in the root directory.  Within one minute of powering up the RC with this older USB 2.0 memory stick in the USB port, the activity light on the USB stick started blinking, the RC  status light turned blue and the RC started beeping.  The firmware installed successfully on the RC!  Then, just to check, I put the USB 3.0 stick card reader with the micro-SD card with the same .bin file on it and NOW the RC could also see the .bin file on the USB 3.0 stick and wrote a txt file saying the firmware on card was the same or earlier date than the firmware version on the RC (just installed using the USB 2.0 memory stick.  Apparently the successful firmware upgrade now allowed the RC to communicate with USB 3.0 memory sticks and card readers.

So, my suggestion to you is this:  get 2-3 older, low-capacity (256 MB to 1 GB) USB 2.0 memory sticks.  Format them using your laptop or PC.  Copy the latest .bin file to the root directory of each of these USB sticks, and try them one by one to see if you can successfully upgrade the RC firmware.  Remember to put the memory stick in USB port of the RC, power it on, and wait for at least 2 minutes before giving up.
2015-7-16
Use props
Rift
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-16 14:40
The horizon drift has been solved to a degree the horizon tilt has not and the only solution is to ...

Ed

Can you elaborate on this a little bit please? What is DJI doing at the factory to fix the tilted horizon that us users can't do here at home?

2015-7-16
Use props
JohnnyMachete
lvl.1

Germany

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-16 14:43
I fly my P3 daily and have had no issues.  What are you seeing on your craft that makes you cry?   ...

now its fine, i dont complain with 1.2.6 but the gs was missing but finally you released the sdk version yesterday... i love it. even with 1.2.6 all was cool except the gs... thx 4 your replay... and by the way i havent cracks in the shell and the stability also with 1.2.6 was quite well... jus the gs ;-) but that is solved since yesterday... i come next week to changsha for 7 days, i was working in china since 2004 to 2010 but then i went back to care for my grandparents... since last november i start again short term traveling to cn... Sorry for my husle and bustle but as i said, 2 days ago you fixed my prob and now i´m happy...

carry on thx 4 that incredible bird...
2015-7-16
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2015-7-16 22:43
Williamjamesfpv,

I had the same problem trying to update the firmware on a new 2nd RC for my Inspi ...

David.p.mann,

Thank you so much for the help. Prior to making that post, I had tried on micro SD, through the usb cable which connects through the gimbal, and usb 2.0.  However, I just realized that I did not reformat the usb 2.0  (I did reformat the micro SD though). I will go home today and try to dig up a low capacity 2.0 usb stick and reformat it. Please keep an eye out for my reply either later tonight or early tomorrow.  Thank you so much... and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works. My unit is brand new and this isn't something that has made the purchase an enjoyable one.

WJ
2015-7-16
Use props
stevedunk
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-16 14:48
What issues are you having?  You say you have grounded your P3.  Why?  Specifics will allow us to  ...

Who is Tahoe, Ed and why is he being so disrespectful to individuals who have invested in the P3, and are having issues with the firmware. Back off Ed! DJI has an issue and We, as a collaborative team of purchasers and supporters od DJI want answers, not sarcastic remarks. Are you actually a customer support rep. for DJI??? If so, this is NOT how to treat customers. You give them answers just like I deserve, an answer to why this happened. IF I WERE EMPLOYED BY DJI, YOU WOULD BE FIRED. TAKE LESSONS FROM DAVE ON HOW TO RESPECTFULLY ANSWER YOUR CUSTOMERS.
2015-7-16
Use props
Snerd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3117539 ft
United States

stevedunk Posted at 2015-7-17 04:26
Who is Tahoe, Ed and why is he being so disrespectful to individuals who have invested in the P3,  ...

Reading these forums used to piss me off so much..................... until I realized the demographic is the 16-24 year-old male. Explained a lot. Bunch of sniveling little snots, crying and whining forever on end. Wah wah wah!!

Now, if I can only find a way to read the 2% of posts that are actually informative.............................

2015-7-16
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed can answer for himself of course, but I personally have never seen him to be anything but friendly and helpful, even in the above citation - what else could he say? He is being completely polite and asking for a few specifics to a rather broad concern.   Beyond that, he has really contributed a lot in this forum.
2015-7-16
Use props
prestonswann
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28671 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-16 14:48
What issues are you having?  You say you have grounded your P3.  Why?  Specifics will allow us to  ...

After my FW upgrade my P3P now suffers from the off level horizon issue with the camera, but most importantly it drifts from left to right and will not hold a hover at all.  Hands off the sticks and it goes up and down, left to right.  I've calibrated, turned off VPS, etc etc.  I flew it for 15 minutes, did the FW upgrade and then flew again an hour later and these problems literally started on first flight after upgrade.
2015-7-16
Use props
stevedunk
lvl.2

United States

aeriallens@gmai Posted at 2015-7-17 05:48
Tahoe_Ed can answer for himself of course, but I personally have never seen him to be anything but f ...

Kudos to you Aerial, and Snerd. If you believe that Tahoe Ed is wanting to know why a customer is crying than so be it. I am a 53 year old aviator in the aviation industry. My apologies to all for what was said about a customer crying. A good customer support Rep does not make remarks like that. Sorry for the offense but I made an investment just like the rest of you. Still waiting for a response in the resolve of a new firmware update.. so I can resume normal flight as it was in May. No one wants to fight here. They just want a quality product. Again, sorry if I offended anyone. I rely on this product to produce news footage for ABC, and NBC News.
2015-7-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rift Posted at 2015-7-16 23:44
Ed

Can you elaborate on this a little bit please? What is DJI doing at the factory to fix the til ...

I cannot elaborate much other than to report that they are aware of the situation and right now the only solution is to sent it in for repair.
2015-7-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Who is Tahoe, Ed and why is he being so disrespectful to individuals who have invested in the P3,  ...

I am employed by DJI and I am Dave's boss.  I apologize if you took my comments as being disrespectful.  I was only trying to get to the root cause of of the issue.  It is hard to do without solid information.
2015-7-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I am employed by DJI and I am Dave's boss.  I apologize if you took my comments as being disrespectful.  I was only trying to get to the root cause of of the issue.  It is hard to do without solid information.
2015-7-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

stevedunk Posted at 2015-7-17 06:15
Kudos to you Aerial, and Snerd. If you believe that Tahoe Ed is wanting to know why a customer is  ...

The user said he was crying.  I simply asked why and what was causing the issue.  I do want to know what he is seeing.  I was a user long before I got involved in forum support.  If I did not care I would not be here to help our users.
2015-7-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

stevedunk Posted at 2015-7-17 06:15
Kudos to you Aerial, and Snerd. If you believe that Tahoe Ed is wanting to know why a customer is  ...

The user said he was crying.  I simply asked why and what was causing the issue.  I do want to know what he is seeing.  I was a user long before I got involved in forum support.  If I did not care I would not be here to help our users.
2015-7-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

prestonswann Posted at 2015-7-17 05:53
After my FW upgrade my P3P now suffers from the off level horizon issue with the camera, but most  ...

Have you calibrated the IMU?  Is the camera drifting off horizon or is it permanently tilted.  If drifting the IMU calibration may help, if tilted all the time, then the only solution is to send it in.  I always calibrate the IMU after an upgrade.  That should also fix your drifting issues.
2015-7-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

prestonswann Posted at 2015-7-17 05:53
After my FW upgrade my P3P now suffers from the off level horizon issue with the camera, but most  ...

Have you calibrated the IMU?  Is the camera drifting off horizon or is it permanently tilted.  If drifting the IMU calibration may help, if tilted all the time, then the only solution is to send it in.  I always calibrate the IMU after an upgrade.  That should also fix your drifting issues.
2015-7-16
Use props
stevedunk
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-17 07:21
The user said he was crying.  I simply asked why and what was causing the issue.  I do want to kno ...

Ed,

Thank you for supporting your product, users, and future issues in a respectful manner. I look forward to reviewing your future posts.
2015-7-16
Use props
stevedunk
lvl.2

United States

The user said he was crying.  I simply asked why and what was causing the issue.  I do want to kno ...

Ed,

Thank you for being the BOSS at DJI and adhering to the responsibilities of this office, and supporting your product, users, and future issues in a respectful manner. I look forward to reviewing your future posts.
2015-7-16
Use props
stevedunk
lvl.2

United States

Ed,

Thank you for being the BOSS at DJI and adhering to the responsibilities of this office, and supporting your product, users, and future issues in a respectful manner. I look forward to reviewing your future posts.
2015-7-16
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

Hey - Tahoe_Ed I see this thread has your attention, so let me ask a question to see if you have been informed about the most (?) common problems discussed here: YEP, GOOD 'OL TILTED HORIZON and YAW/HORIZON-LEVEL-DRIFT

Here is my question:
Given there is STRONG evidence that these particular issues may never be permanently solved by either DJI - or DIY - and that many of us have  tried in earnest to do all prescribed steps many times over, ad nauseum, yet still these remain, IS THERE ANY CHANCE A FUTURE FW UPDATE WILL ALLOW US TO SAVE THE ROLL ADJUSTMENT?  

Many of us must resort to doing that every time we fly, but over time it eats up a lot of battery time and operator effort. It would be an enormous help if this adjustment could simply be saved. Of course it is not a solution - we all know that - but, Man, it would sure make life easier.

Can you look into it, please? Thanks in advance.

Hmmm - see some posts are getting on here twice - forum problem I guess.
2015-7-16
Use props
prestonswann
lvl.1
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-17 07:26
Have you calibrated the IMU?  Is the camera drifting off horizon or is it permanently tilted.  If  ...

As I said, I have calibrated.....everything.  Problem started first flight AFTER the FW upgrade.  No coincidence here.
2015-7-16
Use props
prestonswann
lvl.1
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-17 07:26
Have you calibrated the IMU?  Is the camera drifting off horizon or is it permanently tilted.  If  ...

With all due respect, and I mean that because I truly am seeking help, your replies leave me to be believe you aren't reading what people are writing.  
2015-7-16
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

With no disrespect or criticism intended...  Any idea when the new firmware updates will be released that address these issues?  I can understand why it might take some time to "fix" and "test" the solutions to the VPS and other bugs...  I don't understand the long delay in releasing previous versions under a new version number that would allow current users to revert to WORKING firmware like 1.1.8???

I get this idea it takes time to debug the issue.  But meanwhile many users are having severe VPS and Lagging issues that were not present in 1.1.8.  Why not release 1.1.8 as 1.3.0 and allow users to temporarily revert back to a playable condition.  

It has been over a week since this thread was originally posted.  There were Rumors posted that DJI would release a firmware update on July 15th.  That day has come and gone.  When?  Just tell us WHEN?

Thank you.
2015-7-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

aeriallens@gmai Posted at 2015-7-17 08:05
Hey - Tahoe_Ed I see this thread has your attention, so let me ask a question to see if you have bee ...

Yes we are aware of the horizon drift and the tilt of the gimbal.  The horizon drift has been fixed for most users in the last firmware.  If it is not working for you or others then do a IMU calibration on a level surface, yes I am saying using a level to check surface.  I have used cards under the landing gear to make sure it was perfectly level.  Right now there is no firmware solution to the horizon tilt other than to send it in for repair.
2015-7-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-17 08:22
With no disrespect or criticism intended...  Any idea when the new firmware updates will be released ...

The new version of the firmware is being beta tested now.  Have you signed up for the Bug Hunt for the P3?  We are always looking for new testers.  It should be soon but I do not control that department.
2015-7-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

prestonswann Posted at 2015-7-17 08:06
As I said, I have calibrated.....everything.  Problem started first flight AFTER the FW upgrade.   ...

Then you will have to send your unit in for repair.  There is not firmware solution for you at this time.  I am sorry.
2015-7-16
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-17 09:27
The new version of the firmware is being beta tested now.  Have you signed up for the Bug Hunt for ...

Where do you sign up to be a bug hunter?
2015-7-16
Use props
Rift
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-17 07:10
I cannot elaborate much other than to report that they are aware of the situation and right now th ...

Fair enough Would you at least be able to comment on whether or not the fix being applied back at the factory is permenant vs what us users are doing to try and remedy the issue?
2015-7-16
Use props
rey
lvl.1
Flight distance : 801827 ft
United States

kriley50 Posted at 2015-7-6 21:52
DJI - Autumn,

I upgraded to the latest Firmware and APP about 2 weeks ago.  I was getting the Gimba ...

I have exactly the same issue like yours. I called US DJI support team. They tried to find a fix with the problem on the phone to no avail. They finally asked me to ship my P3P. They've received my unit on July 9th and waiting started. Turn around will be 6 weeks... good summer weather will be over soon from where I live. I will missed all the nice summer weather flying..
2015-7-16
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

@Tahoe_Ed: i tried three Phantom 3 "out-of-the-box" and all have the same "roll tilted" issue, are you sure it's a hardware problem that requires a return to the factory, or simply a mistake of the developer inherent the acceleration compensation?
From what i see from the many users reports it seems that only few are lucky, with "perfect roll", and I'm not one of those, with three unit.
Please check and debug the gimbal code...

Bests, Marco
("APM:Copter" Lead Tester)

2015-7-16
Use props
klimon
lvl.1

United States

rseal Posted at 2015-7-2 23:21
If you are referring to me, as far as complaining, I'm not complaining. I am just wondering why DJI  ...

It's obvious you are new to Drones and maybe software development in general. Take it from someone with years of experience in both fields that there is never one single monolith version that will work with all models. For example the Android apps introduced so many variations that no single program can possibly account for the thousands of configurations of Android operating systems and hardware. You will always inevitably run into an unexpected variation that could not be foreseen so what you suggest is totally unrealistic. This is not like buying a car or a TV set...
2015-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules