I want an OSMO but.....
456 1 2020-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Retrotecchie
New

United Kingdom

Hi there

I have just returned from a week away creating video content for a military/police simulator system. I was shooting footage on a conventional digital camcorder, but one of my course attendees had an OSMO Pocket and I have to say, it impressed me to the point where I was like a man posessed, or at least a man wanting to posess!

I want one of these!! Or rather, I feel an OSMO Action would be better for my requirements. Or to hell with it.....both a Pocket and an Action!

However, I just had to sell a brand new FitBit on ebay because it turns out it is a 'peripheral' for a smartphone rather than being an actual 'smart watch'. Honestly, a watch with a built in GPS receiver that can't tell the time unless it's synched to a phone?!! I mean, really.

Anyway, I want one of these cameras. I want one because not only was the image quality far superior to anything I could manage with a conventional camcorder, but the MP4 format worked right out of the starting gate...let's just say that many other makes of camera seem to cause Adobe Premier to crash like a pig when you try to import video from them! Not all MP4's are created equally.

So......

I am trying to find out more information but am getting nowhere! It appears that all these devices need to have the MIMO App installed on a mobile phone. What I need is a version of the app for a Windows PC because I don't own a smartphone!

Apparently you cannot even 'activate' one of these cameras without a phone and the app, but surely in this day and age there must be some way to do it on a PC?

Now FitBit told me I could get a download for Windows 10 that worked with the Fitbit....and looking on the forums, it seems this is the case.....but it only works if you use the app on an iPhone or Android to perform the initial setup first, and even then the PC version of the software is rather limited (like you can't actually set the time!). Fortunately, someone on ebay bought my Fitbit so I'm not stuck with a lemon,

So.....I see the OSMO Pocket has an adapter for Lightning (which I assume is iPhone) and a USB C, which as far as I am aware is a PC compatible interface as well as being used on Android.

So before I spend a shed-load of money on one of these beasts (maybe even both as I like them so much - I can just see a Pocket fitted to my LEGO trains!)...what support is there for PC users who don't own a smartphone? I mean, I have a phone, obviously, for making calls and sending texts, but it's a Nokia circa 2005. Not much point in anything fancier as there is only 2G where I live so a smartphone is kind of redundant.

How do I activate and set up an OSMO without a phone?!! And don't say borrow a friend's phone. That is not a viable option round here!

Cheers

RT

2020-12-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You are correct.
You need to register the device on a smartphone before you can use them.
After that you can use them without a phone of course!

I can't find info on registering it without a phone.
I guess these Chinese designers assume we all have one.
2020-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules