Is OcuSync 2.0 worth it?
5828 22 2021-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Benchmark Mark
lvl.2

United States

With rules and regulations popping out which actually suppress the flight capabilities of drones, I feel put off by the hobby altogether. What's the point of a drone having the ability to fly 1,000 ft when you're only allowed to reach heights of 400 ft (I know that this is extremely straightforward but you get my point). What's the point of having Ocusync 2.0 and other technologies that allow long-range flight if you're only limited to line of sight flight, and if you are stuck within flight-restricted zones? This makes me think that that laws are limiting the potential of drones, making them impotent in my eyes. Sure, there are concerns about safety and protection of property and people, but is there no middle ground? Drones like the Mini 2 are amazing, but it's a shame that you can't unlock or experience what they can do in full.

2021-1-1
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Leaps and bounds over wifi, to me.
Interference free, smooth non lagging video.

If I fly at my residence I can't gat more than a block away with a wifi drone, the MA2 with ocusync it's a dot in the sky with full connection bars.

It's so good to me that it's keeping me from buying any drone without ocusync.
2021-1-1
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

For me I upgraded my Mini 1 to a Mini 2 because of the type of location I fly in, I use my Mini while out hiking in the mountains were a disconnection could very easily result in a lost drone.  I always had very good experience with the Mini 1 WiFi, it’s just the Ocusync adds so much more confidence.  What a lot of people overlook is the Mini 2 built quality (plastic arms etc) is far more resilient also.
2021-1-1
Use props
djiuser_WpD2lOJLRBIJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1476125 ft
United States

I dont follow any of those rules.at all.im actually into long range flying.so vlos is out of the question.fly how you want to fly bro.you paid for it.just dont interfere with other peoples lifes and you wont have a problem.and as far as occusync....its well worth it.especially when recording 4k. The transmission is alot of data to cache onto your device.and. agood transmission connection is key. Good luck and fly how you want.
2021-1-1
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Oh boy, in 3.....2.....
2021-1-1
Use props
djiuser_LSA2v8XVnCFw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

Imo the difference between mavic mini and mini 2 is night and day ...The OcuSync 2.0  is incredible..Not just for distance but for not having dropout in short distances in heavy wifi areas
2021-1-1
Use props
Tharg from the Planet #39Thring#39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Lisa3 Posted at 1-1 09:00
Oh boy, in 3.....2.....

Yup - rules just do not apply to some people.
2021-1-1
Use props
NightThunder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

Lisa3 Posted at 1-1 09:00
Oh boy, in 3.....2.....

LOL. Good thing is we won't have to put up with BVLOS malarkey after Remote ID is rolled as the FAA has stated that BVLOS will be allowed with RID.
2021-1-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It for sure is!
2021-1-1
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 1-1 12:59
It for sure is!

Occ 2 is definitely worth it. Even for shorter distances, it's better than the Wi-Fi of the Mini 1. As for rules and regulations, I look at those limits as guidelines. I'll add a little leeway, but not get too emboldoned.
2021-1-1
Use props
Photo Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 456201 ft
Canada

Well I had a p34k years ago and stopped using it because of all the disconnect.
So far with the mini2 not one issue and I just flew my old p34k route that would disconnect all the time.
And it went great, next flight will be to push it past that.
See how it goes.
2021-1-1
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

At some point in the future FPV will be considered VLOS.

For the moment the regulation worldwide ignores the fact that you can see what the drone sees in real time because not all the drones flying out there are as good as DJi ones, so they regulate them like if they were classical RC planes/copters.

Any other commertial drone <250g cappable of transmitting video at 10Km? Nope, the vast majority of drones only transmit up to 500 meters or less, and rules are made for the majority. Flying a mini 2 at 3Km is perfectly safe, but that doesn't apply to other drones.

For example my motorcycle reaches 100Kph in just 3 seconds, my car takes about 14 seconds... and the same rules apply for both.

On the other hand you still benefit from occusync at 500m range. I can be sitting in my garden and fly in a 500m radious without even pointing the controller towards the drone, that can't be done with cheaper drones.
2021-1-1
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I have the Mavic Air 2 and had the chance to fly someones Original Mini before buying.  

To be honest, not being able to compare the two drones before buying the Air 2 I was really impressed with the signal and range of the Original Mini.  It consistently disconnected at about 3/4 miles over a group of buildings.  I was so impressed.  

But I decided to get the Air 2 and flying over the same building it does not disconnect the signal bars turn orange but it keeps going, then return to full signal strength.  After those buildings is the ocean it I have flown from that spot 3.5 miles out and back.  
2021-1-1
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think OcuSync 2.0 makes the drone worth the value of flying with better connectivity and better experience overall.
2021-1-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OcuSync really helps with interference even in short range flights.
2021-1-2
Use props
Tharg from the Planet #39Thring#39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 1-1 17:21
At some point in the future FPV will be considered VLOS.

For the moment the regulation worldwide ignores the fact that you can see what the drone sees in real time because not all the drones flying out there are as good as DJi ones, so they regulate them like if they were classical RC planes/copters.

Rubbish.
The reason is at longer distances BVLOS your situational awareness is severely impaired.
At say 3km, you have no aural feedback and your visual view is limited to approx 80 degrees which is the FOV of the camera. Again, that is limited further by whatever direction the aircraft is pointing.

Flying LOS means you are able to scan the sky for other aircraft etc as well as being able to hear incoming aircraft which you will not be able to do at long distance.

Do not talk about things you clearly have no experience with. The reasons for stricter BVLOS Rules  is situational awareness (visual and aural)
2021-1-2
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

Tharg from the Planet #39Thring#39 Posted at 1-2 08:01
Rubbish.
The reason is at longer distances BVLOS your situational awareness is severely impaired.
At say 3km, you have no aural feedback and your visual view is limited to approx 80 degrees which is the FOV of the camera. Again, that is limited further by whatever direction the aircraft is pointing.

You only need constant VLOS when flying close to objects.

If for  example you are going to inspect a building facade or going to perform  those classical drone shots passing through objects or windows you want  to have the drone in sight, because input lag can make you hit the  object.

When flying far from objects/buildings (40-120m  altitude), just need to account for the tallest obstacles and main  powerlines in the area and push the boundaries little by little learning  the flying area.

On the other hand, you can see the mini 2 at  about 550m distance in daylight and about 750 meters at night (the green  flash), in ideal conditions and with your glasses correctly graduated, but  the moment you look at the screen and look back again at the sky you  won't be able to find it again. So in general, anyone pretending he is  doing VLOS past 100-200 meters with the Mini 2, unless he had a dedicated  spotter that's constantly watching the drone, would be just lying.

When  flying the Mini 2 in an open area you want to look at the screen except  when taking off/landing or when flying close to obstacles, because in  the screen is where you get the precise feedback of where the drone is  heading, where it's pointing, wich speed/altitude it's flying, how much  battery you have left and most important, what you are  filming/photographing.

Of course, you want to scan the horizon with your eyes from time to time, like you watch at the rearview mirror when driving, but you won't be able to find  the mini 2 past 100-200m anyways.

PS: And you are not supposed to  fly near airplanes, gliders, balloons and other manned aircrafts in  general, so the only unaware thing that can hit you in the sky, under  120m is a random bird that decides that the Mini 2 is food, and  in that  case it doesn't matter if you are VLOS or not, you are probably going  down.
2021-1-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DGCA3 Posted at 1-1 16:25
Occ 2 is definitely worth it. Even for shorter distances, it's better than the Wi-Fi of the Mini 1. As for rules and regulations, I look at those limits as guidelines. I'll add a little leeway, but not get too emboldoned.

Indeed.
Just like I do.
2021-1-2
Use props
djiuser_NMEGPFEC1Ic8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9616 ft
United States

Tharg from the Planet #39Thring#39 Posted at 1-1 11:48
Yup - rules just do not apply to some people.

And that is why our hobby is at risk from these fools who flaunt the FAA.
2021-1-2
Use props
djiuser_WpD2lOJLRBIJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1476125 ft
United States

Our hobby is at risk because we are allowing them the regulate it to begin with.its not because  someone like myself and thousands of others every single day decide to fly over that little ridge line or see if we can fly it to the state line and back....and as far as incidents...in the grand scheme of it..., it is more rare then poliovirus for a drone to fall out of the sky and hit someone....or even another aircraft ...that is far from common...its a rarity. They are regulating our hobby because its in their interest to grasp it as its the fastest growing mode of transportation in the world right now....and with amazon and ups wanting to deliver packages by the thousand daily, that’s a logical solution to our fears of drones falling from the sky? Every uber driver and pizza delivery guy with a drone regardless of aptitude can now go do a multiple answer quiz to fly commercially for them.and people accept that as progress...its being regulated because its becoming commercialized. Get woke.
2021-1-2
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_WpD2lOJLRBIJ Posted at 1-2 20:49
Our hobby is at risk because we are allowing them the regulate it to begin with.its not because  someone like myself and thousands of others every single day decide to fly over that little ridge line or see if we can fly it to the state line and back....and as far as incidents...in the grand scheme of it..., it is more rare then poliovirus for a drone to fall out of the sky and hit someone....or even another aircraft ...that is far from common...its a rarity. They are regulating our hobby because its in their interest to grasp it as its the fastest growing mode of transportation in the world right now....and with amazon and ups wanting to deliver packages by the thousand daily, that’s a logical solution to our fears of drones falling from the sky? Every uber driver and pizza delivery guy with a drone regardless of aptitude can now go do a multiple answer quiz to fly commercially for them.and people accept that as progress...its being regulated because its becoming commercialized. Get woke.

Totally agree. Where I live there is a lot of small aircraft and millitary planes that fly over the village, the small aircraft are at low level (500ft-1000ft(?)) most of the time, sometimes with pilots being trained. Over the past couple of years a couple of small planes have had to do an emergency landing in fields close by....even a large balloon in the village!...yet...under the new regulations, even with public liabillity insurance,  I can fly my mini over the village as long as there isn't a crowd of people but I can't ever fly my Mavic Pro unless I go through additional training and get an additional cert!

People who make these rules are told drones are dangerous and really don't have a clue!
2021-1-4
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The original mini with enhaced wifi really struggles in urban environments given the interference on 2.4ghz and the limitated range of 5,8ghs under CE regulations.  Occysync gets you around this with a rock solid connection, no disconnects.  The difference is night and day.  I'm suprised DJI actually put Occusync on their entry level drone, but certainly thankful they did.  Enhanced wifi in a CE region is extremely limiting.
2021-1-4
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

Neroangelo Posted at 1-4 08:02
Totally agree. Where I live there is a lot of small aircraft and millitary planes that fly over the village, the small aircraft are at low level (500ft-1000ft(?)) most of the time, sometimes with pilots being trained. Over the past couple of years a couple of small planes have had to do an emergency landing in fields close by....even a large balloon in the village!...yet...under the new regulations, even with public liabillity insurance,  I can fly my mini over the village as long as there isn't a crowd of people but I can't ever fly my Mavic Pro unless I go through additional training and get an additional cert!

People who make these rules are told drones are dangerous and really don't have a clue!

Road accidents kill thousands of people and injure tens of thousands every year and nobody cares, you are constantly bombarded with advertisements that yell that if you don't have a car you are a loser... but WATCH OUT this guy is flying a 240g drone, he's going to kill someone, call the army now!!! ¬_¬U
2021-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules