Inspire 1 turned on all by itself after nearby lightning strike
799 5 2015-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flightjunkie624
lvl.2

United States

I thought I'd share something really freaky that happened with my Inspire 1 last week.
Last Tuesday, we had a violent electrical storm hit northeast Ohio in the early morning hours.  I keep my unit fully assembled and ready to fly at my desk in my bedroom.
It was around 5:40 in the morning when lightning struck what seemed to be right outside my window.  About three seconds later, my bird suddenly powered up and began initializing all by itself.  Quite startled (to say the least) and concerned something else bad was about to happen, I quickly jumped out of bed and turned off the unit and removed the battery.
The lightning strike did wipe out my internet modem and router, which were on a seperate desk about three feet from my unit.
I checked out my bird to make sure that nothing was damaged, and it seems to be ok, though I haven't  flown it yet since this happened.   
Thinking maybe with such a close proximity of the strike, a massive surge of static electricity built up in the room which somehow activated the intelligent flight battery.  
Very freaky and I thought that I'd share this, as I am unsure if this would be something we might need to be concerned about when thunderstorms come around.  
2015-7-2
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

Hmm not a good idea to store the Inspire 1 with a battery installed, Crazy Storie that's for sure
2015-7-2
Use props
flightjunkie624
lvl.2

United States

cmontisano Posted at 2015-7-3 10:07
Hmm not a good idea to store the Inspire 1 with a battery installed, Crazy Storie that's for sure

Yeah wasn't good idea.  I no longer keep any batteries stored on board my units anymore.
2015-7-2
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

flightjunkie624 Posted at 2015-7-3 10:21
Yeah wasn't good idea.  I no longer keep any batteries stored on board my units anymore.

All I can say is my wife is so afraid of ghost she would have jumped out of her skin to witness something like that
2015-7-2
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

flightjunkie624 Posted at 2015-7-3 10:21

Ufff its like the drone movie that were announcing on the past days!
2015-7-2
Use props
ea6le
lvl.2

Turks and Caicos Islands

Good idea for the new Ghost Busters movie, the girly one Ghost is the modern machines
2015-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules