Understanding the new attitude indicator
6565 23 2021-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

The new attitude indicator can be confusing.  Tap on the small map icon in the lower left corner and tap again on the symbol in the lower right corner of the map.  The attitude indicator will display.  The gray wing lines on either side of the drone symbol show bank and pitch...if in a bank with no control input, the drone is holding a crosswind correction (left bank equals a left crosswind).  This is sometimes handy to know as the wind at 400' can be different than the wind on the surface and might dictate your direction of flight (I always like to return with a tailwind if maxing out the battery).  The N on the outer ring shows where north is so if your drone symbol is pointing as in the picture below your drone is heading NE.  I alway verify before takeoff that the drone is pointing in the correct direction relative to the N (if the drone is pointing 90 degrees right of the N, your drone is heading east) This simple check tells me the compass is good. The H symbol is the homepoint.  The blue dot is the RC.  If you don't see the blue dot (very common when the RC and homepoint are quite close and the drone is airborne), you can assume the blue dot is covered by the H.  On the outer edge of the blue dot is a pointer that shows which direction the RC is aimed...use the N to determine the RC direction.  If you lose sight of the drone and have no clue where to look, draw a line from the H/RC symbol through the drone symbol to the outer compass ring.  That direction is where to look for your drone.  In the picture below, the line from the H/RC through the drone symbol to the compass ring intersects the ring at the NE point...so look NE to find your drone.  If you just want to get the drone back to where you can hear it and descend until you see it, just yaw (left control stick) until the drone symbol is pointing at the H/RC symbol and push forward on the right control stick...verify the distance is decreasing and start listening for your drone.

image0.jpg
image0.png
2021-1-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Thanks for sharing, Rustic17.
2021-1-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-3 01:01
Thanks for sharing, Rustic17.

Hi Gamora,

Why a new attitude indicatot?  The GoApp indicator works 100 times better !!

see this ? https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=144696
In the GoApp indicator the center is HP /RC. Drone is seen in the 360 degree scale somewhere....
Rotating the RC left/right to get drone arrow between center and whit top triangle mark = drone in front of you !!

Easy to use, easy to visualize, easy and logical to understand !!  so why a new confusing indicator in the FlyApp??

I need specs to see the marking wich indicates the viewing direction of mty RC, while in the GoApp i simply see the drone arrow rotates in the display!

cheers
JJB
2021-1-3
Use props
Skywolf III
lvl.2
Flight distance : 497749 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing this.  Looks straightforward and logical.  I especially like the new attitude indicator.
2021-1-3
Use props
reguza64
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60375420 ft
Indonesia

I agree with JJB*
GoApp compas more easy to understand rather the new one.
2021-1-3
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

JJB* Posted at 1-3 04:36
Hi Gamora,

Hi JJB,

you are so right!!!!!
2021-1-3
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi Gamora,

Hi JJB,

even the previous indicator would have been enough if it had only worked correctly (DJI SC I meant in particular ...)
2021-1-3
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Hi Gamora,

I agree with You, JJB*!
2021-1-3
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi Gamora,

Hi JJB,
In your video the little white arrow is the controller alignment to the drone correct?
On RH if you turned the controller you could align home point, drone and white arrow?
Thanks
2021-1-3
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for posting the guide, something maybe DJI should do rather than just saying it was added?
2021-1-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Lisa3 AKA Karen Posted at 1-3 06:59
Hi JJB,
In your video the little white arrow is the controller alignment to the drone correct?
On RH if you turned the controller you could align home point, drone and white arrow?

yes,  when the drone arrow is inline with the center and that top white marking, than drone is in front of the RC. So in that case yaw craft towards center (= HP) than craft is flying direct line towards home.

cheers
JJB
2021-1-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

frankymusik Posted at 1-3 06:17
Hi JJB,

even the previous indicator would have been enough if it had only worked correctly (DJI SC I meant in particular ...)

yes, with my devices (when good calibrated) the old indicator easy to use. But the GoApp 360 radar display is simply the best.

Hope that DJI will change this in the 2.2.3 !

cheers
JJB
2021-1-3
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Hi Gamora,

I agree with you, JJB...I like the Go compass better.  My post was just to help those confused with the new one and in no way saying the new one is better.  Hopefully DJI will listen to their customer base.
2021-1-3
Use props
Scooter#39s Eye
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361014 ft
United States

Hi folks,

New poster here. Have had the MA2 for over a month. My first "real" drone. Lot's to learn.

I liked the simplicity of the old attitude indicator. I understand the reasoning behind the new one; essentially continuously improving the product. However, I think they missed the mark. The new indicator in the OP flat out did not work today. I flew through 2 batteries and went back and forth and with the map and the indicator,  expanding the map, monitoring the red line, etc.

Essentially, I was able to move far enough away from the big H and the blue dot has a little pointer. It was about 120 degrees off.

MA2 hovering 50 feet above ground about and 75 feet away from Homepoint (big H). I was standing basically between the drone and the H, looking directly at the MA2 with with RC pointed exactly at it. The little blue arrow indicator on the little blue dot was pointing behind my right flank, at about 4-5 o'clock orientation. QUESTION: Is this a function of the phone compass?

Interestingly, when I switched to the map, the little blue pointer lined up correctly.
2021-1-3
Use props
cLaNzKiLLeR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1360007 ft
Malaysia

Absolutely correct.
Maybe some animation + real time quick test will visually understanding it better .
2021-1-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Scooter#39s Eye Posted at 1-3 17:08
Hi folks,

New poster here. Have had the MA2 for over a month. My first "real" drone. Lot's to learn.

Yes,

Blue arrow blue dot = info from mobile device compass
In the map view only drone compass data is used.

cheers
JJB
2021-1-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Having used it now for a couple of flights, I have to say this is very much and added benefit to the fly app, and although its slightly more complicated than go4 , I believe this will be better particularly for those who have never used go4. A matter of getting used to it thats all.
2021-1-6
Use props
Scooter#39s Eye
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361014 ft
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-5 11:30
Yes,

Blue arrow blue dot = info from mobile device compass

Thanks Jjb! It is what you suspected.

Having used the new attitude indicator after a few more flights, I can live with it and likely will grow to even like it. Understanding it better now, it has not been an impediment to my flying experience and enjoyment of the MA2.
2021-1-6
Use props
thisisthatian
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4702438 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

Is this new indicator in the iphone app only ? i've tried updating mine but i still have the old style indicator which never seems very accurate.
2021-1-7
Use props
Mortensldk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Thanks for sharing!
2021-1-7
Use props
Mountain Man 4u
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77238 ft
United States

thisisthatian Posted at 1-7 04:39
Hi,

Is this new indicator in the iphone app only ? i've tried updating mine but i still have the old style indicator which never seems very accurate.

I have an iphone, just did an update and a few things are a little "weird". I do not have the new indicator app.  Also, my collision avoidance does not show on my screen to turn it off.
2021-1-15
Use props
fans3adefbcf
New

United States

On my Mini2, you swipe not tap the right edge of the map to find the directional arrow. Kept trying and trying to tap but it overlaps the altitude.
2022-1-13
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Even on a phone the attitude indicator and heading reference are finicky and prone to errant orientation at times.  
2022-1-13
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

The attitude indicator in Go was much better and having the RC \ HP in the center always made more sense.

One additional benefit of having the artificial horizon (the little gray wing line in the circle) is that it works very well as a wind indicator.  I know that the wind can be very strong up high when it completely calm on the ground.  If I just "park" my drone in the sky I can look at the artificial horizon lines to see how much wind is up there.  The drone will automatically adjust its attitude to counter the wind so it can stay in one place.  With the lines, I can see how much it's having to lean over to counter the wind and therefore tell how much it's blowing where the drone is.
2022-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules