Are there any aftermarket filters that offer night vision?
8427 16 2021-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

I haven't seen any on Amazon.
2021-1-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There's no filter that gives you night vision
2021-1-2
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-2 18:48

There are plenty of night vison glasses on the market, I don't see why making a small filter for the Mini wouldn't work.
2021-1-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

You pretty well summed it up in your opening question. Pity, I don't see why you could not have an operating light-sabre.
2021-1-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

trader6777 Posted at 1-2 18:51
There are plenty of night vison glasses on the market, I don't see why making a small filter for the Mini wouldn't work.

Simple .. just use some gaffer tape to attach a night vision scope to your drone's camera.
I can't imagine there would be any problems getting that to work.
2021-1-2
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-2 19:17
There are plenty of night vison glasses on the market, I don't see why making a small filter for the Mini wouldn't work.
Simple .. just use some gaffer tape to attach a night vision scope to your drone's camera.
I can't imagine there would be any problems getting that to work.

I'll ignore the sarcasm and address your crazy suggestion.  I attached a banana to my mini and it became very unstable in wind.  Attaching a night vision scope to the camera (if that's possible), would create a front heavy load, making the drone unflyable.
2021-1-2
Use props
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-2 18:48

Ok, to add to that, the glasses that are marketed as night vison, really just reduce glare from bright lights at night and don't add detail in low light situations.
2021-1-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

trader6777 Posted at 1-2 19:42
Ok, to add to that, the glasses that are marketed as night vison, really just reduce glare from bright lights at night and don't add detail in low light situations.

Idiot, true night vision glasses use an infra-red camera sensor, not filters.
2021-1-2
Use props
EHEA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 363960 ft
Germany

A filter, by definition, reduces the amount of light reaching the sensor, by filtering out certain photons, e.g based on color (wavelength) or polarization. None of that helps to give you "night vision", where reducing the number of photons reaching the sensor is the very  last thing you want. There is no magic passive "filter" that instead amplifies the light reaching the sensor. Photons have energy, so to create extra photons you would need something powered, not just some dumb piece of coated glass.
2021-1-3
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

you can buy a mini night vision camera with a stand and install it on your MM
2021-1-3
Use props
djiuser_fPitvqvcqpcs
New

United States

These people calling you idiot are not too awful bright theirselves to act like they know what their talking about... Yes you can add a filter to get night vision.. But you also have to add a infrared light source 850nm would work great. Then take the lens off of your camera and inside the lens or attached directly next to the camera sensor will be a piece of glass that has a red/green tent to it.. Its a filter.. Carefully remove it without scratching your sensor and in its place put your small piece of ir pass filter.. If it won't fit inside you can also put it on outside over the lense. You can order different types of ir pass material.. Plexiglas..glass..etc.. Just order 850nm pass filter..850nm light source.. And remove the existing filter from the camera and in these three steps you have night vision camera
2021-4-13
Use props
fans523bad53
New

United States

Well the people commenting are the dumb ones not you.

Yes you 100% can do night vision as I’ve done it before but not by adding a filter. You have to add a Micro IR Camera (size of a quarter) to your drone, antenna, and a small lightweight power source. The type of micro IR camera that companies use in doorbell or security cameras. 5 years ago they had a lot of lag so we’re harder to fly but now their as fast as the camera already on your drone and pretty cheap. You can find ones on Amazon from companies like RunCam or Acrotor (first link below) for only 20 to 150 bucks. The one in the 1st link below actually has HD Starlight COLOR night vision even, and that ones only 36 bucks.

The FPV racing guys do it all the time but typically on custom built racing drones and not adding it to a pre built drone like a DJI. Then you need to get a module like a RasberryPi (mini computer basically) to turn the live video signal into a viewable source which is then inputed into the goggles.
2021-11-21
Use props
fans523bad53
New

United States

fans523bad53 Posted at 11-21 20:12
Well the people commenting are the dumb ones not you.

Yes you 100% can do night vision as I’ve done it before but not by adding a filter. You have to add a Micro IR Camera (size of a quarter) to your drone, antenna, and a small lightweight power source. The type of micro IR camera that companies use in doorbell or security cameras. 5 years ago they had a lot of lag so we’re harder to fly but now their as fast as the camera already on your drone and pretty cheap. You can find ones on Amazon from companies like RunCam or Acrotor (first link below) for only 20 to 150 bucks. The one in the 1st link below actually has HD Starlight COLOR night vision even, and that ones only 36 bucks.

It sounds super complicated but there’s lots of detailed YouTube videos to show you how to do it. Example video in 2nd link below of a guy who did it with some old FatShark goggles.

Last link is a video of a setup me and my buddy did on one of his drones he built. And mind you this was a few years back so the video quality and lag is so much better now.

Color Night Vision Camera Link:
Wont let me post ANY url or YouTube links but search on Amazon the following:
FPV Camera Caddx Ratel 2 Newest 1/1.8'' Starlight HDR OSD 1200TVL 16:9 NTSC 2.1mm Lens for FPV Quadcopter Racing Drone (Red)

Example of how another guy did similar but put the camera on his goggles instead of drone, on YouTube search the following:
BOTGRINDER FPV I turned my old fpv goggles into night vision goggles!

Video of Me And My Buddy Flying Using Night Vision, search the following on YouTube and it’ll show up:
Jwhit87 Night Vision

So tell all the guys above to STFU lol
-Bryan
2021-11-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fans523bad53 Posted at 11-21 20:28
It sounds super complicated but there’s lots of detailed YouTube videos to show you how to do it. Example video in 2nd link below of a guy who did it with some old FatShark goggles.

Last link is a video of a setup me and my buddy did on one of his drones he built. And mind you this was a few years back so the video quality and lag is so much better now.

Hey Bryan, do the conversion yourself and post detailed instructions and photographs of the conversion, or STFU yourself....
2021-11-21
Use props
djiuser_vmII1KcE7Q1j
lvl.2

Canada

VanzPix Posted at 1-3 06:48
you can buy a mini night vision camera with a stand and install it on your MM

Send the link
2021-11-29
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4