Cannot Activate Smart Controller
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

[ UPDATE - Possibly / partly resolved.... see Capt Marty's suggestion to remove password (#3) and my followup replies (#'s 5 & 7)  ]

Received new MA2 Combo with the Smart Controller.  Smart Controller "must be activated" first.
Fully charged the batteries

Turned on the SC and followed the prompts for language, agreeing to terms, and location.

The Controller scanned "found" my (internet) networks and asked for the network password.  
After about 3 minutes watching the "connecting to WiFi"
received the message "Connecting to Wi_Fi Failed"
The device "fails" after receiving the CORRECT network password(s). ( I have two; 2.4 and 5 Ghz )

Made a dozen more attempts, then took the controller to a friend's home and tried connecting using their network with the same failed results.  Throughout the attempts there were intermittent beeps, which I eventually noticed resulted in the Controller TURNING OFF.  I was able to keep the SC on by tapping the Home or Pause buttons during the beeping.

Following those failures I then made an assumption that "perhaps" a firmware update was in order and tried updating to the latest (0.0860).  The results were downloads to 99%, freezing for about 10 minutes, then the "Network error" message, or Failed to Update.  (That killed 4 hours of effort.). [Please... no suggestions on how to use Assist 2 for Mavic, or clearing memory cache, or using micro SD cards for more memory- I can't even get the Smart Controller Activated/registered]

As an aside, I have already used Assistant 2 for Mavic to update the firmware for the aircraft.

I've owned and updated MP's, Sparks, and Mini's over the last 3+ years and never encountered this early-on level of failure.

Does anyone have any ideas.  (This thing is less that 12 hours old!)

2021-1-5
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

try connecting to 2.4 instead of 5 GHz. I found wifi on 2.4 goes easier on SC.

I've given my SC access keys
s of both 2.4 and 5 of Asus router. It connects first to 2.4 and minutes later to 5.
2021-1-5
Use props
Marty Markoe
First Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

2 suggestions:
1. Remove the password for and 5 GHz connection from Settings.
2. Some forum members suggest removing SD card from SC before updating.
2021-1-6
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnDG Posted at 1-5 18:33
try connecting to 2.4 instead of 5 GHz. I found wifi on 2.4 goes easier on SC.

I've given my SC access keys

Great minds think alike :-)
Regrettably with the same negative result.
Will try Capt'n Marty's idea next.  (see reply #3 suggestion)
2021-1-6
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Marty Markoe Posted at 1-6 04:02
2 suggestions:
[Update in reply below]
Thanks....
Setting up some "Guest" password-less accounts.
Will try without sd card, however, the early attempts tried with/without.  Cards were added when I was messing with firmware attempt. (geez!)

2021-1-6
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Or you could try internet sharing form your mobile phone via wifi hotspot I'm doing it like that when outside and it is working fine.
2021-1-6
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Marty Markoe Posted at 1-6 04:02
2 suggestions:

Thanks Capt Marty..

I set up a "guest" account with no password and ... it worked ( yea ! ). Thank you.
After spending some time getting set up (accounts and "agrees") I'm discovering it is still having trouble making connections with my 'real' connections.  (I let "guest" expire, and tried to re-set WiFi using my normal security and settings).

Will do some more experimentation with some different security settings, and report back.

Again THANKS for the idea... !   (you should get an extra 100 points!)

(FWIW, leaving the SD card in didn't seem to make a difference.)
2021-1-6
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DH_Pilot Posted at 1-6 07:11
Or you could try internet sharing form your mobile phone via wifi hotspot I'm doing it like that when outside and it is working fine.

Nice idea.  I don't have sharing on my phone, but fortunately the removal of password helped enough to get started.
2021-1-6
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Further learning.  The issue appears to have been with the router security settings.  Changing the settings to another option offered by the router software allowed the password to be "accepted" by DJI ... odd indeed.
2021-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules