Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cruise Control on the DJI Mavic Air 2 - Firmware v01.00.0511

2021-1-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DAFlys. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this informative video you have found. Great find and jus a reminder to exercise caution when using cruise control. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2021-1-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting video!

But not sure if the second RTH is what DJI intented to do with this new RTH behaviour.
Or was the sofware in confusion as this second RTH was initiated while in front of an obstacle?

First RTH stops when an obstacle is sensed ; action for the pilot is to RTH manually.
Again initiating, while in front of same obstacle, will make MA2 to climb....without top sensor mayby risky to do. Or beacuse the pilot is closeby it is a well thought action of the pilot ?

cheers
JJB
2021-1-6
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

JJB* Posted at 1-6 01:26
Interesting video!

But not sure if the second RTH is what DJI intented to do with this new RTH behaviour.

Good point, if it was under trees (or the pole was bent 90°), there was high risk of crash if second RTH was hit unconsciously...
2021-1-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

virtual Posted at 1-6 01:42
Good point, if it was under trees (or the pole was bent 90°), there was high risk of crash if second RTH was hit unconsciously...

i will do a test myself on this behaviour. curious to know if this ws just a one time miss or really programmed this way....
2021-1-6
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

JJB* Posted at 1-6 01:49
i will do a test myself on this behaviour. curious to know if this ws just a one time miss or really programmed this way....

Of course the second RTH near the pilot would be pilots error if there are more obstacles, but anyway...
2021-1-6
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435049 ft
Malaysia

JJB* Posted at 1-6 01:26
Interesting video!

I suppose at any point in time regardless of RTH or not, the pilot MUST have knowledge of anything above the drone. This is necessary even if the pilot is far or near, LOS or NOT. Not knowing this is really going to spell disaster.....but please let us know, is the 2nd condition triggered by the obstacle directly in front, or is it triggered by the second RTH attempt, blocked by obstacle in the way.
2021-1-6
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

The new RTH is confusing me. Not the distances, but the obstacle avoidance.
In this video the OA indicator on the middle left is staying on green while RTH. In other videos i saw the OA indicator blinking red, like the OA has been deactivated.
Before the OA was always on, on RTH and trying to pass by the obstacle in some way, if i remember right.
Currently i could not test due to poor winter weather, but it would interesting to know, if the OA is now dependend on the OA settings like it is in normal operation or if it does behave differently depending on the distance.

The current try and error situation is really nerv wrecking and not a good way to improve the flight safety and leads me to more and more untrusting the Air2.

@DJI
it is time to provide a new version of the manual including all new features and changes, that were coming with all FW releases since manual version 1.2.
2021-1-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice find.  Interesting video.
2021-1-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-6 06:53
Nice find.  Interesting video.

thanks DowntownRDB.  
2021-1-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting find!
2021-1-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting idea I thought.
2021-1-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 1-7 02:17
Interesting idea I thought.

It most certainly is!
2021-1-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-6 08:04
thanks DowntownRDB.

You're very welcome.    I don't use cruise control but good to know it is there.
2021-1-7
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Thanks this is a great explanation of how to use Cruise Control.
2021-1-7
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Just a note for everyone, there are updates for the controller and the batteries as well. The controller will be updated as part of the drone update, but you'll have to cycle through all of your batteries separately and update them.
2021-1-7
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wouldn't it be nice if DJI released new instructions when they added features ? Sorry, I was dreaming again ;-) From this I will assume that once you do not perform a manual return but instead just press RTH again, the drone reverts to the previous actions. But I will certainly test it anyway.
2021-1-7
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MySky Posted at 1-6 05:08
The new RTH is confusing me. Not the distances, but the obstacle avoidance.
In this video the OA indicator on the middle left is staying on green while RTH. In other videos i saw the OA indicator blinking red, like the OA has been deactivated.
Before the OA was always on, on RTH and trying to pass by the obstacle in some way, if i remember right.

"it is time to provide a new version of the manual including all new  features and changes, that were coming with all FW releases since manual  version 1.2."

There is a version 1.4 available now. But although it does describe the new RTH process, it does not explain what happens in the 2nd RTH like in the video. Nor does it explain the new attitude indicator,
2021-1-7
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Germany

GaryDoug Posted at 1-7 21:54
"it is time to provide a new version of the manual including all new  features and changes, that were coming with all FW releases since manual  version 1.2."

There is a version 1.4 available now. But although it does describe the new RTH process, it does not explain what happens in the 2nd RTH like in the video. Nor does it explain the new attitude indicator,

Thanks Gary.
In the German download section it is still version 1.0 and i will be allways pushed to it even if i am opening  the english page of dji.com . It is always a mess to get the English PDF.
2021-1-8
Use props
CTT Channel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7843156 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Interesting, thx for sharing my friend
2021-1-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CTT Channel Posted at 1-8 06:24
Interesting, thx for sharing my friend

No probs CCT.
2021-1-8
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MySky Posted at 1-8 03:45
Thanks Gary.
In the German download section it is still version 1.0 and i will be allways pushed to it even if i am opening  the english page of dji.com . It is always a mess to get the English PDF.

Does this help at all? It is English version 1.4 :
https://www.mediafire.com/file/9 ... al_v1.4_en.pdf/file
2021-1-8
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Germany

GaryDoug Posted at 1-8 15:57
Does this help at all? It is English version 1.4 :
https://www.mediafire.com/file/9sv5s0xhdufxlss/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.4_en.pdf/file

Many thanks, but i already found the direct link:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _Manual_v1.4_en.pdf
2021-1-9
Use props
JP04
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5937569 ft
United States

I wish DJI would make Cruise Control available in all video modes, not just Hyperlapse. I am getting tired of sticking a piece of tape to the right stick to make it maintain a slow flight speed.
2021-3-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JP04 Posted at 3-22 14:28
I wish DJI would make Cruise Control available in all video modes, not just Hyperlapse. I am getting tired of sticking a piece of tape to the right stick to make it maintain a slow flight speed.

Have you tried an elastic band?
2021-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules