Inspire went crazy upon take off
1689 6 2015-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mogmen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4902 ft
United States

Just received my new I1 and made 5 or so successful flights over the course off two days at the same identical location.

I had fully charged batteries on everything, I was in p mode, calibrated the compass as I do every time I have flown.  once calibrated I set i1 down, looked at screen had gps, battery at 100%.  All normal as in prior flights.  I armed the motors checked screen again and began to took off.  As soon as it began to take off it went nuts and went racing toward the woods at what seemed to be full throttle.  I immediately tried to bring it back but it was not responding 100%.  It finally did to a degree and raced in the opposite direction, I was trying to counter but it wound not respond.   It crashed in the grass and snapped the gimbal off.  The landing gear is racked too.

I am glad no one was hurt but am really disappointed.   I was having a lot of fun with it.

I am going to contact DJI and start the "process".   Looks like I am out the rest of the summer

I will post the flight logs after I have a few glasses of wine and finish getting ready for tomorrows festivities.

Take care,
Ed
2015-7-3
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Very sorry to hear...  

Anything else you can think of that may have contributed?  IMU calibration?

Hope you get it back soon.
2015-7-3
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Did you check the sensors before take-off?  I always check the sensors and only ever calibrate the compass if it is out. Most flyaway stories start with "I calibrated my compass..." never heard one start with "Didn't calibrate my compass as it didn't need it...".
Did you get any warning messages?
Did you have a good GPS signal and was the dot in the correct place on the map?
Mobile phone in airplane mode?
Good luck with repairs, hope you get you bird back soon.
2015-7-3
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

Welcome to my world and the one of so many isnpire 1 owners. There seems to be an issue that DJI should be investigating and not just be replacing and covering up by temporally fixing up the inspire 1 of those who have experience this issue. I Understand that they want to make money of so many individuals who are excited about this amazing technology, but they should find out what is the cause of this Issue. It's hard to fly not knowing what will happen next or if your drone will be the next one to experience some type of crash or erratic flight. As consumers we have invested Thousands of dollars in this flying machine and the fact that DJI continues to ignore such problem and not be able to come up with some logical explanation is absurd. I cant believe that i experience the same problem, called DJI Support and all they say is please send the inspire to determine the issue, weeks later the only thing they do is  fixed a minor problem and not the main issue. I called for an explanation and the reply from the technician was " we didn't find anything wrong with it, the firmware update fixed the issue" It's not believable and i am sure my flight log showed that there was an issue with my inspire 1. Many other have reported in this forum the same issue and the same identical situation.  Thankfully there has not been any reports of anyone getting injure from any of the crashes!i but DJI should look into fixing up this uprising problem before it causes some type catastrophe. I feel that as consumers we are not been taken serious. The battery issue is something else that has me worry. I was reading on the forum that DJI is not even taking responsibility in recognizing that there is an issue with the Battery failures, And if you flight your drone and it was not 100% when Flying they will blame you by saying that it was a  pilot error! really? I feel that this so unfair. We should be able to fly the inspire 1 even if it was at 80% It's none sense to say that if you don't fly your drone at 100% you are likely to experience a sudden battery drop!

Please feel free to tell me if i am wrong! Please read this thread and share your thoughts!

http://forum.dji.com/thread-19602-1-1.html

This issue goes way beyong IMU calibration and GPS calibration. This is a software / hardware issue...... Feel free to rea my thread and tell me if it sounds like what you experience.

I was one of those guys who said its pilot error till the day it happened to me then I realise that is way beyon just following your pre flight check list!!!!!

I have the video of my flight log, it will show you that its the same story as the one describe by many other in this Forum!

DJI you should look into focusing and Resolving the issue of your current products before trying to come up with new products! i am sure you will hear the same issues with the Matrice 100, it's just a matter of time before you hear the same broken record1-!

2015-7-4
Use props
metalios
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892703 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've experienced the same problem on 3 occasions, with 2 different Inspires. The first time, it caused serious damage which DJI fixed at no cost to me. Clearly not pilot error. No damage (other than props) on the subsequent occasions, only because I was able to do a controlled crash. I didn't freak out as I did the first time. Also didn't help that I was surrounded by a large group of spectators.

I still love my Inspire and enjoy it immensely. For every flight, I now take off very slowly, disable auto landing clear, and slowly move around. The problem for me has always appeared almost immediately. Your next option, if you sense it's going to take off on you, with landing gear down,  is it bring it down immediately (crash) and risk slight damage. Much better than having it race around uncontrollably. For this reason, I will never use the Inspire on my boat. It would be impossible to recover.

I was also considering purchasing a Solo 3DR after being frustrated with this problem and actually purchased a P3 (which I really like). Seems like Solo has it's own issues - also related to compass, imu, control issues. My P3 has switched to ATTI mode once, for no reason, but that's never really a problem.

I think we need to anticipate that something will go wrong on each and every flight.
2015-7-4
Use props
mogmen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4902 ft
United States

Thank you for all your comments.  

Prior to my first flight I downloaded the latest firmware and calibrated the craft, remotes and batteries.   Everything was in calibration.  

I looked at the flight log in the ap and the entire flight was 30 seconds.   As I think about it I must have been a sight to look at trying to recover.  It makes me smile.  

I downloaded the flight data the .dat files.  and need to compress them in order to send to dji.  Any suggestions.  The utility on my Surface does not compress them by much.  I use gmail and the files are too large to send.

Also how do I download the event from the pilot ap?

I reached out to DJI and received their auto response.  Hopefully I will here from them again soon.

Thanks again for the info and support.

Take care
Ed

2015-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules