Drifting...
1431 11 2015-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

Tried to do the campus thing again tonight. This is the second time I've tried. Just can't get a GPS lock, with the result that I have to fly it non-GPS and simply can't get the shots I want. There's just too much wind drift and the footage comes in like I'm drunk. Even though I deliberately went out in low wind (less than 7mph). A bit disappointing really.

2015-7-3
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

No GPS lock? How many stellites?
2015-7-3
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

Rigworker Posted at 2015-7-4 10:12
No GPS lock? How many stellites?

Actually, I'm not sure. I was watching too hard to control the phantom. It changed from flashing green to flashing yellow in midair.
2015-7-3
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

lightpanther Posted at 2015-7-4 10:22
Actually, I'm not sure. I was watching too hard to control the phantom. It changed from flashing g ...

No lock before liftoff? Did it say safe to fly GPS? Check for satellites next time before liftoff. I usually get at least a dozen outside here.
2015-7-3
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

Rigworker Posted at 2015-7-4 12:16
No lock before liftoff? Did it say safe to fly GPS? Check for satellites next time before liftoff. ...

No I had "safe to fly GPS" before takeoff.  It turned back to non GPS only while in the air, and started wind drifting.
2015-7-3
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

Where are you flying?  In a city/country ?  Near power lines, radio transmitters, tall buildings?

Seems odd, and the solar storm has calmed down so that's not it...

2015-7-4
Use props
Total
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

why not leave it on GPS ?  that will adjust for the wind .
2015-7-4
Use props
rob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 571690 ft
United Kingdom

I get the odd yaw drift with 1.1.9
2015-7-4
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Do a cool temp IMU calibration. Then make sure you compass calibrate. I have had some weird flight behaviors the last 2 times I have flown. Compass calibration remedied it.
2015-7-4
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

Well, it's on a campus, so I was wondering if it was the Uni's computer network or such like. This time, I didn't do a compass calibration, though I did that last time. I just got a "cleaner" one elsehwere, and decided to go with that (as per the advice of someone on another thread here). I had safe to fly GPS when I took off, but this changed to yellow flashing lights and Non-GPS about a minute after takeoff. I certainly did not change it myself.

Are other people finding that it loses sat links easily in any kind of EM-busy envt? As I said, I wouldn't have guessed that this was that conflicted an evironment with regard to signal, prior to flying. Yes, there are buildings around...but they are classroom buildings with no classes ongoing at the time I did the vid. Etc. There might be well be campus electronics active all the time, but other than that, it wasn't like downtown big city or anything. I'm surprised it's really any different from other college campus type vids I've seen published with the Phantom that didn't seem to have my drifting problems.  It was definitely wind drift, uncorrected by the lack of a GPS.
2015-7-4
Use props
farmertml
lvl.1

United Kingdom

This might sound basic but you have got your controller set on the correct mode on the switch back left?
2015-7-4
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

farmertml Posted at 2015-7-5 05:10
This might sound basic but you have got your controller set on the correct mode on the switch back l ...

Farmertml,

Yeah, that's set to P and I don't touch it at all. Also, this behavior is specific to that location, not to my Phantom flying in general (though I guess I'd need to do a lot more flying in a lot more places, to be really sure of that).
2015-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules