Shooting Video in 4k 24FPS vs 30FPS? 1/50 and 1/60 vs Auto?
3535 6 2021-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ExtraGloves
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19537 ft
United States

Just curious what most of you guys have been shooting in for the best results.  I started shooting in 4k 30fps in auto mode and then 24fps auto, but now I'm seeing I should be shooting in 24fps 1/50 or in 30fps 1/60.  Haven't tested these out but wouldn't 30fps work better since it's exactly half of 1/60 according to the golden rule?
Do ND filters make shooting in these settings easier?

Also, will this help my issue of blur when slowing rotating the drone during a shot?

This is my first experience when it comes to shooting video and video editing (previously only have done a tone of photo) so just want to be doing it correctly.

Thanks!

2021-1-8
Use props
Skatin_Tater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 433173 ft
  • >>>
United States

I usually go with 2.7K @ 60 fps when moving. If it's a really slow movement or pan, 4k @ 30 fps. I don't use ND filters, so I can't speak to that part of the question.
2021-1-8
Use props
ExtraGloves
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19537 ft
United States

Arpettaz Posted at 1-8 13:48
In my opinion, the 180 rule (motion blur) you are referring to only really comes into its own with motion/action shots, like with an action camera. Unless you are going to ignore the drone rules, most people won’t be using their Mini 2 for close action shots and so for me motion blur is irrelevant for a drone. I also only use ND filters for photo shoots with a hand held camera, and normally use the highest shutter speed I can for drone video commensurate with the light conditions @ 4k 30 fps. I also don’t understand why anyone would significantly reduce the amount of light getting into the Mini 2 by using an ND filter if your shutter speed is only 1/60

Thanks for the reply.  I need to experiment more.  I find my issue mostly when I turn the drone left and right.  Even if I'm turning super slow and smooth it doesn't look as good as I'd like it to.  Then I see other videos that look much smoother and clearer while turning.  Might just be me but I will test away.
2021-1-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Arpettaz Posted at 1-8 13:48
In my opinion, the 180 rule (motion blur) you are referring to only really comes into its own with motion/action shots, like with an action camera. Unless you are going to ignore the drone rules, most people won’t be using their Mini 2 for close action shots and so for me motion blur is irrelevant for a drone. I also only use ND filters for photo shoots with a hand held camera, and normally use the highest shutter speed I can for drone video commensurate with the light conditions @ 4k 30 fps. I also don’t understand why anyone would significantly reduce the amount of light getting into the Mini 2 by using an ND filter if your shutter speed is only 1/60

"I also don’t understand why anyone would significantly reduce the amount of light getting into the Mini 2 by using an ND filter if your shutter speed is only 1/60"

Inasmuch as you come from a country where the daylight is dull, you would not have the problem of achieving 1/60th second shutter speed. The use of an ND filter is necessary in countries with very bright sunlight, and unless you use an ND filter, you cannot get the shutter speed down to 1/60 without over-exposing.
2021-1-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Arpettaz Posted at 1-9 10:13
I understand the issue of bright sunlight, but why shoot at 1/60 shutter speed with a drone?  You won’t see the motion blur because the drone will be at altitude and/or too far away from things (unless of course you are breaking the drone rules)

It is done primarily to get around the limitations of the rolling shutter used in these inexpensive cameras, quite irritating when you pan the camera or there is horizontal movement in the frame. Getting the shutter speed down to 1/60 introduces some motion blur into each frame that eases the stuttering effect. But you won't get down to that speed unless you limit the light input, hence the use of the ND filter.
2021-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules