Administrator

Thanks for sharing, northaal.
2021-1-9
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Comments are locked so I couldn't comment on that when first I saw it.  Great innovation there!  But my only worry is that you've got a heat insulation strip (the windmuff) very close to the heatsink above the screen, so I would recommend running the camera for half an hour like that and checking that heat doesn't build up.  Here I'm about to try a Zoom H2N audio recorder - with its dead cat windmuff - on a bracket with the P2.  Just using it as a mic rather than as a recorder.  My rationale being that the H2N has a broadly similar mic configuration to the P2 - five mics in fact - so it should be possible to get a similar result.  Of course it won't be pocketable... but gives the interesting possiblity of also recording on the H2N in its 4 channel mode so that one can pick and choose afterwards which mics are actually used in the production.

FEATURE REQUEST to DJI - I've already suggested that the excellent audio from the Pocket 2 should be output to .wav files rather than AAC (as an option) - sure, that adds file size but in proportion to the video file size, no big deal.  But - how about a further option to record the 4 mics to 4 .wav files, so (as mentioned in previous paragraph) the output from the 4 mics could be selected in editing?  I imagine there would be no great technical problem with that, just a matter of whether it would be worth your developers' time and effort of course.
2021-1-9
Use props
northaal
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks for your comments fansfe82067d. At present I am lucky ( if that’s the correct term) at the moment that overheating is not a problem in these freezing temperatures. But I accept your concern.
My main reason for investigating this problem is that in the olden times we used to go cruising on our holidays. On board deck there is always a breeze or a wind which ruins any ambient sound recording. The foam ring can easily be pushed upwards and allowed to be loosely hang just below the gimbal. It does not interfere with its movement.
Considering the lockdown predicament we are in right now I am looking forward to testing out the potential overheating problem!
I look forward to hearing about your H2N Zoom recorder.
2021-1-9
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Indeed, there's a clear need for some kind of windshielding in order to get the best from those remarkably good mics in outdoor situations, and you've certainly achieved a good result with both your experiments.  A cruise ship would be a good challenge indeed but right now you might not live to tell us the result...  The H2N recorder idea is something that occurred to me simply as I have one, together with a very fluffy dead kitten to go with it already.  Watch this spaace for a link to my experiment in the next few days.
2021-1-9
Use props
JeffTheJackal
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Could you please tell me which wind foam you used?
2021-6-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Oops - I never posted this here from some time back - Zoom H2N used as an windshielded 4 channel external mic for the Pocket 2

2021-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules