Tablet suggestions please
5680 30 2021-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Markus60
lvl.2
United States

Hello all,  I am in need of a tablet larger athan my 6 1/2" phone to fly. Even with readers, things are bunched up.  getting old here. I would like, NOT to spend over 150.00$.  I just want it for Drone flyig.  No surfing, music,movies.  Just flying.  I have bought a lenovo m8 tab and it wouldn't let me download the DJI FLY app.  I am an Android/Samsung guy.  What tablets do you guys suggest, and have/use to recomend.  One that i can use the DJI FLY app.  Thanks in advance.
2021-1-8
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

I don't know about an Android tablet that works with DJI Fly App, but you will need some way to mount it to the remote controller also!
2021-1-8
Use props
lajaro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5883 ft
Canada

The latest iPad Mini with the 3rd party aluminum/ABS plastic mounts available at the big A work well, although that would easily exceed your $150 budget.
2021-1-8
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

If you go over to the Mavic Mini part of the forum, there have been several long threads on the subject.  I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A for $89 from Costco for the purpose of flying my Mini.
BTW, try going to the DJI site and downloading the software directly and installing it on your tablet.
2021-1-8
Use props
lajaro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5883 ft
Canada

K6CCC Posted at 1-8 11:34
If you go over to the Mavic Mini part of the forum, there have been several long threads on the subject.  I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A for $89 from Costco for the purpose of flying my Mini.
BTW, try going to the DJI site and downloading the software directly and installing it on your tablet.

How’s the Tab A working out for you?  I looked at it but reckoned it would be too slow.  Plus I wanted something with Cellular built-in.
2021-1-8
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

I did not need cellular.  It's fine for my Mini, but at least one report was that it did not keep up with a Mavic Air 2.
2021-1-8
Use props
Droning-On
lvl.3
Flight distance : 293058 ft
New Zealand

I was in the same boat - I needed an Android tablet because my phone was too laggy.
I purchased a Huawei MediaPad T5 (WiFi ony) just for flying the Mini 2, and it works just fine.
There's no lag either, when I'm using the AZ Screen Recorder which can record to external micro SD.
Just my 2c worth.
2021-1-8
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

lajaro Posted at 1-8 11:48
How’s the Tab A working out for you?  I looked at it but reckoned it would be too slow.  Plus I wanted something with Cellular built-in.

The Tab A that I have has no internal compass sensor. So make sure the model you select has one. There are many submodels of the Tab A. Some work and others do not. My Tab A model is the SM-T290 and it will not work with the MA2 or the Mini 2. I now use an Asus Zenpad Z8s Verizon for the MA2 (or Mini 2) that I got "used" for about $90.
2021-1-8
Use props
gfab71
First Officer
Flight distance : 492874 ft
  • >>>
Italy

videoeditman Posted at 1-8 10:53
I don't know about an Android tablet that works with DJI Fly App, but you will need some way to mount it to the remote controller also!

There's the tablet holder in the DJI Store..
https://store.dji.com/it/product ... oller-tablet-holder
2021-1-9
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Markus,

Your problem is that the DJI Fly App will work best on a 64 bit tablet.  The Mavic Mini, DJI Mini 2 and the Mavic Air 2 all use DJI Fly, the newest flight system for DJI products.  DJI Fly works best on a 64 bit tablet using a 64 bit processor and operating system.  For Android (which is my preferred brand to) that may be the Android 6 operating system (since DJI recommends the Android 6 OS for DJI Fly) or higher.  But the tablet needs to support 64 bit processing.  The Lenovo Tab M8 supports 64 bit, Hmm.?.  You may want to check on that.  The Android OS for the Lenovo Tab M8 is also Android 9 (Pie).  If you tablet is not the FHD version, that may be part of your problem.

So, my research says your Lenovo tablet supports 64 bit, but who knows if this is right.  If you are forced to buy another tablet, in store, check the "about" specs to see if it is using the Android 6 OS or higher and has a 64 bit processor.  Then you might stand there after you buy it and try to download DJI Fly.  If it does not download, return it without leaving the store.  Save time!  Your problem is 64 bit, solve that problem and you will be able to download DJI Fly.

Hope this helps!

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2021-1-9
Use props
Markus60
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 1-9 02:01
Aloha Markus,

Your problem is that the DJI Fly App will work best on a 64 bit tablet.  The Mavic Mini, DJI Mini 2 and the Mavic Air 2 all use DJI Fly, the newest flight system for DJI products.  DJI Fly works best on a 64 bit tablet using a 64 bit processor and operating system.  For Android (which is my preferred brand to) that may be the Android 6 operating system (since DJI recommends the Android 6 OS for DJI Fly) or higher.  But the tablet needs to support 64 bit processing.  The Lenovo Tab M8 supports 64 bit, Hmm.?.  You may want to check on that.  The Android OS for the Lenovo Tab M8 is also Android 9 (Pie).  If you tablet is not the FHD version, that may be part of your problem.

Great info.  Yesterday I purchased a- ONN 8" tablet from WalMrat for 69+tax.  The dji app was not in the play store, but for good reason.  The new firmware, you have to download the APK version from DJI website.  I did that and guess what?  It works on a little 69$ tablet.  I havn't flown with it to see how the lag is yet but I will as soon as I can.  Thanks for your response.
2021-1-9
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Markus60 Posted at 1-9 13:03
Great info.  Yesterday I purchased a- ONN 8" tablet from WalMrat for 69+tax.  The dji app was not in the play store, but for good reason.  The new firmware, you have to download the APK version from DJI website.  I did that and guess what?  It works on a little 69$ tablet.  I havn't flown with it to see how the lag is yet but I will as soon as I can.  Thanks for your response.

Aloha Markus,

Good news and good luck!  I am considering the purchase of the DJI Mini 2, but I will need a larger tablet than my iPhone 6 for the same reasons you articulated.  Us old guys got to stick together!

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2021-1-10
Use props
Markus60
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 1-10 00:37
Aloha Markus,

Good news and good luck!  I am considering the purchase of the DJI Mini 2, but I will need a larger tablet than my iPhone 6 for the same reasons you articulated.  Us old guys got to stick together!

Hi,  If your already an Iphone person,  I have been told that the Imini4 is the way to go.  ?? personally I don't know.  I am forever cheap/frugle.   So  I guess it is what you have to spend.  Good Luck,  I love my Mini 2.  Wish I could get out more.
2021-1-11
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Markus60 Posted at 1-11 13:54
Hi,  If your already an Iphone person,  I have been told that the Imini4 is the way to go.  ?? personally I don't know.  I am forever cheap/frugle.   So  I guess it is what you have to spend.  Good Luck,  I love my Mini 2.  Wish I could get out more.

Aloha Markus,

No, if anything I am a reluctant Apple or Mac user.  I got the iPhone 6 as a hand-me-down (up) in the family.  But your Lenovo Tab M8 FHD version is something like $139, and that is attractive.  It is also 64 bit, so it will run DJI Fly.  

I would really like a 10 inch screen though, so I will have to do some more research.  But, thanks to your question, I have started the research.

Take care and be safe!  

Aloha and Drone On!
2021-1-12
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Great info.  Yesterday I purchased a- ONN 8" tablet from WalMrat for 69+tax.  The dji app was not in the play store, but for good reason.  The new firmware, you have to download the APK version from DJI website.  I did that and guess what?  It works on a little 69$ tablet.  I havn't flown with it to see how the lag is yet but I will as soon as I can.  Thanks for your response.

Congratulations on finding a low cost solution, I hope it works out well. Respond here so others can find out your success!
2021-1-12
Use props
Markus60
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 1-12 01:03
Aloha Markus,

No, if anything I am a reluctant Apple or Mac user.  I got the iPhone 6 as a hand-me-down (up) in the family.  But your Lenovo Tab M8 FHD version is something like $139, and that is attractive.  It is also 64 bit, so it will run DJI Fly.  

I am thinking the same thing now.... 8" might not quite be large enough..  good lluck to the both of us.  Take care.
2021-1-12
Use props
RJC_68
lvl.1

Canada

I just received my Mini 2 today and have finished setting it up and updating software/firmware so I am all ready for my maiden flight tomorrow :-)

I purchased a Huawei Media Pad T5 recently for another task and have loaded up the DJI Fly app but I need to pickup a tablet holder from Amazon. I have read some positive reviews of this tablet which is encouraging. I got the 32GB storage & 3GB Ram plus cellular which I will probably not use all for $100 CDN and it was brand new. I'll report back once I have a chance to use. Tomorrow it will be my trusty old S9 Plus. I also have a 7th Gen iPad to fall back on. I was hoping my Nvidia Shield K1 would work but alas it is 32 bit and the Go Fly app is not supported. At 8 inches it would have been perfect
2021-1-13
Use props
Markus60
lvl.2
United States

RJC_68 Posted at 1-13 18:06
I just received my Mini 2 today and have finished setting it up and updating software/firmware so I am all ready for my maiden flight tomorrow :-)

I purchased a Huawei Media Pad T5 recently for another task and have loaded up the DJI Fly app but I need to pickup a tablet holder from Amazon. I have read some positive reviews of this tablet which is encouraging. I got the 32GB storage & 3GB Ram plus cellular which I will probably not use all for $100 CDN and it was brand new. I'll report back once I have a chance to use. Tomorrow it will be my trusty old S9 Plus. I also have a 7th Gen iPad to fall back on. I was hoping my Nvidia Shield K1 would work but alas it is 32 bit and the Go Fly app is not supported. At 8 inches it would have been perfect

The T5 looks gr8.  You will enjoy it.
2021-1-14
Use props
Stangman!
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11362 ft
United States

Sorry re-read post about your Android preferance. Can't seem to delete picture from post. This is an Ipad 5th generation with DJI mount.
2021-1-14
Use props
RJC_68
lvl.1

Canada

Stangman! Posted at 1-14 10:50
[view_image]
Sorry re-read post about your Android preferance. Can't seem to delete picture from post. This is an Ipad 5th generation with DJI mount.

How do you like that tablet mount?

I ordered the PGY Tech one on Amazon, I found my iPad 7th Gen was a little on the heavy side in it, I was looking at the mount you have. I also have a Huawei Mediapad T5 which seemed better. My wife has a Tab S2 8.0 which I am going to take a look at late today, I had a quick look and the DJI Fly app looks to be available for this tablet.
2021-1-15
Use props
Stangman!
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11362 ft
United States

RJC_68 Posted at 1-15 06:18

I ordered the PGY Tech one on Amazon, I found my iPad 7th Gen was a little on the heavy side in it, I was looking at the mount you have. I also have a Huawei Mediapad T5 which seemed better. My wife has a Tab S2 8.0 which I am going to take a look at late today, I had a quick look and the DJI Fly app looks to be available for this tablet.

Love the DJI tablet mount. Feels very secure and mounts directly to the controller body.
2021-1-15
Use props
Droning-On
lvl.3
Flight distance : 293058 ft
New Zealand

RJC_68 Posted at 1-15 06:18

I ordered the PGY Tech one on Amazon, I found my iPad 7th Gen was a little on the heavy side in it, I was looking at the mount you have. I also have a Huawei Mediapad T5 which seemed better. My wife has a Tab S2 8.0 which I am going to take a look at late today, I had a quick look and the DJI Fly app looks to be available for this tablet.

I managed to get my Huawei Mediapad T5 fitted to the controller with a homemade plastic mount. It's a heavy tablet but works just fine. I have extended the USB-C/micro usb cable. I'm also waiting delivery of a proper mount from Ali Express.
2021-1-15
Use props
fans5f866d2b
lvl.1

Canada

videoeditman Posted at 1-8 10:53

Those adapters are easy to come by... finding a tablet that works for tired old eyes... not so easy.
2021-1-22
Use props
fans5f866d2b
lvl.1

Canada

Great info.  Yesterday I purchased a- ONN 8" tablet from WalMrat for 69+tax.  The dji app was not in the play store, but for good reason.  The new firmware, you have to download the APK version from DJI website.  I did that and guess what?  It works on a little 69$ tablet.  I havn't flown with it to see how the lag is yet but I will as soon as I can.  Thanks for your response.

Hey there - looking for a tablet, too (Im on my 3rd Amazon purchase now)... how did this one work out for you?
Thank you for your time
2021-1-22
Use props
Markus60
lvl.2
United States

fans5f866d2b Posted at 1-22 14:40
Hey there - looking for a tablet, too (Im on my 3rd Amazon purchase now)... how did this one work out for you?
Thank you for your time

It was OK.  But after using it for a couple of times, I traded up to a Lenovo  Smart Tab 10".   My eyesight likes the 10" better.  Good Luck.
2021-1-22
Use props
djiuser_XHPAHRxz5W6m
New

United States

Lenovo Tab M10 plus FHD (2020) 32Gb 2Gb RAM Confirmed for DJI Mini 2 with GO FLY app --- must be downloaded from dji website!

So far so Good.. about 5 flights.  very affordable. 10" screen
2021-2-7
Use props
bsaraccini
lvl.1
Flight distance : 82379 ft
Italy

If it helps, I've tried and tested the Lenovo Tab4 M8 and works perfectly with the DJI FLY app (version 1.2.4 so far) and the Mini 2 controller. This is the TB-8705F model, to be more precise, with 3gb of RAM, not the Tab M8 TB-8505X model with 2gb of RAM. It adds a lot of really welcome screen real estate compared to even the largest mobile phone models, and sits comfortably on the remote: pretty light, very balanced. I use one of these quick release tablet holders (similar of a "hook") that also adds little weight to the combo, and a longer cable to connect the tablet to the remote. No problems detected in a few hours of flight, very happy indeed.
2021-2-7
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

Anyone know if the Amazon Fire will work.  I know know absolutely nothing about them and I want to get away from using my iPhone I was wondering because Best Buy has a sale on them.
2021-2-11
Use props
djiuser_LSA2v8XVnCFw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

I use a Samsung tab s6 and it works awesome
2021-2-11
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229180 ft
Russia

RJC_68 Posted at 1-13 18:06

I purchased a Huawei Media Pad T5 recently for another task and have loaded up the DJI Fly app but I need to pickup a tablet holder from Amazon. I have read some positive reviews of this tablet which is encouraging. I got the 32GB storage & 3GB Ram plus cellular which I will probably not use all for $100 CDN and it was brand new. I'll report back once I have a chance to use. Tomorrow it will be my trusty old S9 Plus. I also have a 7th Gen iPad to fall back on. I was hoping my Nvidia Shield K1 would work but alas it is 32 bit and the Go Fly app is not supported. At 8 inches it would have been perfect

How did you manage to get the Huawei Media Pad T5 for only $100 CDN? Here in the UK, the price for it is £169 (or $297 CDN !!!), and it's only the Wi-Fi one. Does the tablet need to have a 4G setup, as that just puts the price through the roof here? I'm looking for a 10" tablet for my mini 2 but the prices are ridiculous.
2021-2-12
Use props
SteveK14
lvl.1
Flight distance : 417 ft
United States

bsaraccini Posted at 2021-2-7 13:47
If it helps, I've tried and tested the Lenovo Tab4 M8 and works perfectly with the DJI FLY app (version 1.2.4 so far) and the Mini 2 controller. This is the TB-8705F model, to be more precise, with 3gb of RAM, not the Tab M8 TB-8505X model with 2gb of RAM. It adds a lot of really welcome screen real estate compared to even the largest mobile phone models, and sits comfortably on the remote: pretty light, very balanced. I use one of these quick release tablet holders (similar of a "hook") that also adds little weight to the combo, and a longer cable to connect the tablet to the remote. No problems detected in a few hours of flight, very happy indeed.

I got a Lenovo TAB4 M8 but can't find a cable that will work. Are there any settings that need to be done on either item to let them talk to each other? Or, if you have a link to the right cable, I would appreciate it very much.
2022-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules