UAV Forecast - Sat Lock not relevant
2743 7 2021-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I use UAV Forcast to check the weather before I fly even thought it is easy to see what the conditions are here.  I really only do so to check the wind directs and speed for head, tail and cross wind.
I have found that UAV Forcast will show less than 10 Satellite Lock (Red) and the Mavic Air 2 will lock onto 13-16 still.  I have never had an issue with Satellite Lock with the Mavic Air 2 it always finds enough.  To be fair it is sunny and mostly clear skys year round so I really have no experience dealing with adverse weather here in California.  I have gotten where I just ignore the Low Sat Lock on UAV Forcast because the Mavic Air 2 Satellite Lock always has found more than enough prior to takeoff.

Out of curiosity, do people using other Mavic drones experience Satellite Lock issues?  

2021-1-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

There are other satellites, such as the Russian group up there, perhaps UAV Forecast only counts the US satellites? The aircraft can only use satellites from any one particular group anyway.
2021-1-8
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

Thanks. That was my understanding also. I think the Mavic Air 2 just has good receiver and picks up more than some other drones.
2021-1-8
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

Thanks. That was my understanding also. I think the Mavic Air 2 just has good receiver and picks up more than some other drones.
2021-1-8
Use props
pedwards
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5445758 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There’s an option in UAV forecast to adjust which satellite systems are used.

2021-1-8
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

pedwards Posted at 1-8 21:41
There’s an option in UAV forecast to adjust which satellite systems are used.

[view_image]

Very helpful. I am surprised that the Mavic Air 2 gets far more satellites than UAVForcast predicts.
2021-1-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-8 22:08
Very helpful. I am surprised that the Mavic Air 2 gets far more satellites than UAVForcast predicts.

You can ignore the GPS sat prediction as there are so many sats up there, you will always find more sats than your drone needs, no matter where or when you are flying (as long as the drone has a glear unobstructed view of most of the sky).
2021-1-9
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-9 03:47
You can ignore the GPS sat prediction as there are so many sats up there, you will always find more sats than your drone needs, no matter where or when you are flying (as long as the drone has a glear unobstructed view of most of the sky).

It has never been an issue to fly even when UAVForcast says low satellites, so I have just been ignoring it.  Thanks, I was just looking for a consensus on the Low Satellite warning.
2021-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules