Aerounautical knowledge and safety test
904 6 2021-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wkayl
lvl.1

United States

When is this scheduled to be implimented?  Or has it already?  
2021-1-8
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lots of info on YT - have him search for Part 107. For starters, here's the FAA site => https://www.faa.gov/uas/
2021-1-8
Use props
wkayl
lvl.1

United States

Thanks.  I talked to him again.  he said he clarified that he has not tried to fly the drone yet, just spooked on the FAA site as they are not clear that it has or has not been implemented.  .
2021-1-8
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

If you're referring to the Remote ID, yes that has not been implemented. It will take up to 30 months once in place which could start in March. As for flying the drone recreationally, no requirements are needed other than registering the drone since it weighs more than 0.55lbs.
But if he intends to fly the drone for commercial or business purposes, then he needs to get his Part 107 UAS certificate aka drone license. It's not hard but not easy either, just takes some studying. That's where YT will come in handy, lots and lots of free info and study guides. Just be wary of the outdated videos anything older than a year.
2021-1-8
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

RobZilla Posted at 1-8 12:36
If you're referring to the Remote ID, yes that has not been implemented. It will take up to 30 months once in place which could start in March. As for flying the drone recreationally, no requirements are needed other than registering the drone since it weighs more than 0.55lbs.
But if he intends to fly the drone for commercial or business purposes, then he needs to get his Part 107 UAS certificate aka drone license. It's not hard but not easy either, just takes some studying. That's where YT will come in handy, lots and lots of free info and study guides. Just be wary of the outdated videos anything older than a year.

Will the remote ID be mandatory for hobbyists too or does that only apply to Part 107?
2021-1-8
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I believe you should be ok if you're flying for fun/hobby. Otherwise IMHO, Remote ID is like a digital license plate on the aircraft/controller side, so its more or less to check on an aircraft when(not if) its possibly violating a rule(s) by the FAA. I suspect this will apply to all newer drones once implemented so whether or not you are flying recreationally or as part 107, only the FAA or authorized law enforcement with permission can check the "plate" and match it to a name.
2021-1-8
Use props
wkayl
lvl.1

United States

His concern was one of the supposed requirements was to take the "aeronautical knowledge and safety test".  

Everything I can research leads me to believe that is has not been implemented yet for recreational users.  
2021-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules