JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

My first 2021 flight with my MA2.

1)
low hover stability! (about 5 cm above OSMO action cam)  So good, no wind today....

2)
RTH 1.2.2 between 5- 50 meter craft will RTH at current height. (if < 5 meter VPS if will climb to 5 meter )
When an obstacle is seen, RTH is automatically cancelled. Second and third try (still seeing that obstacle) ; it will not climb to RTH height setting! *

* as seen in another video on this forum

3) Fun on the way back home  ( but cold....)

Happy many landings to you all + best wishes for 2021!
cheers
JJB

2021-1-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Informative testing results.  Very nice footage for such a cold day.  
2021-1-9
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Yes...on the RTH with obstacle in flightpath, I noticed Obstacle Avoidance initiated, the drone stopped, and RTH was terminated (no backup, climb and re-attempt of RTH).  Thanks JJB!!!
2021-1-9
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Happy New Year mate, hope all is well. Very nice video
2021-1-9
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Very pretty where you live.
What MC do you ride?
2021-1-9
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Thanks JJB,

I also found that if you are in the new 5-50m range that trying to go below the HomePoint will initiate an Auto Landing.  This is very inconvenient for dropping into canyons and off cliffs over the ocean when you are close to the HomePoint.
2021-1-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-9 12:50
Thanks JJB,

I also found that if you are in the new 5-50m range that trying to go below the HomePoint will initiate an Auto Landing.  This is very inconvenient for dropping into canyons and off cliffs over the ocean when you are close to the HomePoint.

Hi John,

Do not understand your post. "below the HomePoint" ?? or do you mean this:

AFAIK if you are within 5 meters from HP ; RTH activation means Autolanding.
So if your postion (=HP) is at the edge of a cliff and you fly within 5 meters down.....
Reposition HP > 50 meters from where you fly down into a canyon!

cheers
JJB
2021-1-10
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

If you are in within 5-50m of the HomePoint and attempt to defend below the HomePoint elevation, i.e. 0ft height the Mavic Air 2 will initiate an Auto Landing.  

I agree you can just move the HomePoint or takeoff from a location further way.  This is simply an advisement of the change for others on the thread.  
2021-1-10
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Especially for newbies it can be very dangerous, because it is not documented anywhere by DJI.
2021-1-10
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just did a similar test today and could not initiate a normal (climb to RTH height) after encountering an obstacle. I tried many times and all were a no-go, even after moving manually. I wonder how that earlier video showing the normal RTH was accomplished despite the obstacle.
2021-1-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-10 12:51
If you are in within 5-50m of the HomePoint and attempt to defend below the HomePoint elevation, i.e. 0ft height the Mavic Air 2 will initiate an Auto Landing.  

I agree you can just move the HomePoint or takeoff from a location further way.  This is simply an advisement of the change for others on the thread.

Uh,  in my video my MA2 was below HP height (- 3.8 meter, 32 meter away from HP)  and did not initiate an autolanding, but a RTH!

2021-1-11
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

I think that is even more troubling as 5-50m is a large variable. I was probably 20m meter from the HomePoint when I descended below the HomePoint height.  A fixed range would be safer for operators as they could accurately predict the Auto Landing and RTH response.
2021-1-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-11 09:39
I think that is even more troubling as 5-50m is a large variable. I was probably 20m meter from the HomePoint when I descended below the HomePoint height.  A fixed range would be safer for operators as they could accurately predict the Auto Landing and RTH response.

i think your autolanding had another cause, not the flying lower than HP.

Your flightlog will explain what happend.

cheers
JJB
2021-1-11
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-11 10:41
i think your autolanding had another cause, not the flying lower than HP.

Your flightlog will explain what happend.

Unfortunately, I am using DJI Fly v1.2.2 so full logs are not available.  I was able to view the notifications on AirData.com.  Not very helpful.  Only shows when the Confirm Landing occurred but not the cancelation or any other data which triggered the Auto Landing.  I just looked at the CSV and could not find a cause.

I will try and replicated it in the next day or two.
2021-1-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-11 11:26
Unfortunately, I am using DJI Fly v1.2.2 so full logs are not available.  I was able to view the notifications on AirData.com.  Not very helpful.  Only shows when the Confirm Landing occurred but not the cancelation or any other data which triggered the Auto Landing.  I just looked at the CSV and could not find a cause.

I will try and replicated it in the next day or two.

well, in the Airdata CSV are the VPS height sensor values....i will check for you

so if you put a link to Airdata, would be great

see this https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=233395   also an autolanding issue
2021-1-11
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the concern.  Good information to know about.
2021-1-11
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

JJB, I am a little surprised the Auto Landing initiated 17ft.  I was further way than I thought around 150ft.  Your input would be greatly appreciated.

https://app.airdata.com/share/wALGmg
2021-1-11
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

JJB,

You were absolutely right about checking the logs.  It was the Downward Vision sensor errantly triggering.  It dropped from about 35ft to 1.7ft and that is what caused the Auto Landing to initiate while the drone's height remained the same.

Good call on viewing the logs.  Going through the CSV table manually I missed the VSP drop but KlooGee found them and posted a screenshot using the a paid AirData.com account.  GaryDoug offered to pull logs using his paid account which was generous of him.

Thanks for your help.
2021-1-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-11 20:58
JJB,

You were absolutely right about checking the logs.  It was the Downward Vision sensor errantly triggering.  It dropped from about 35ft to 1.7ft and that is what caused the Auto Landing to initiate while the drone's height remained the same.

Hi John,

Great that other good members helped you out!

I asked DJI several times to change this unwanted autolanding in their software!!
Very simple to do this, when further away than 5 meters from HP disable this and if initiated (if you want to land > 5 meters from HP OR accidentally)  ask user if he really wants to land.

Autolanding is triggerd when the VPS bottom height sensor measured ** 0.5 meters AND RC stick pushed down for short moment.Not only during a hover but also flying with any speed any direction!

** If sensor measure 0.5 mtr wich is actually a false reading (fog, water on the lens, other reasons) this have the same result ; an unwanted autolanding.

Few pilots lost their drone this way !!  SO DJI ; take action !

Cheers
JJB

2021-1-12
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-12 01:15
Hi John,

Great that other good members helped you out!

JJB,

I appreciate your efforts and do agree there should be a confirmation prompt when at distance greater that 5-10m.  In my original post I cited new pilots or pilots with limited experience not being able to react fast enough to process the Auto Landing errantly occurring and cancel it.  For xperienced pilots it is not a huge issue but could be detrimental and costly to an inexperienced pilot.  

Your request is especially relevant to cases over water where the chance of recovery is low and the landing would be catastrophic.  
2021-1-12
Use props
JMoreno97
New

Spain

Any updates here? I don't like autolanding triggering when VPS bottom height sensor measures  0.5-0.7m
2022-4-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

JMoreno97 Posted at 4-13 09:42
Any updates here? I don't like autolanding triggering when VPS bottom height sensor measures  0.5-0.7m

Still the same, so just be carefull when applying down ** input flying at VPS height of 0.5 meter!
Only way to stop the forcedlanding is UP stick!!

** RC down stick > 80% for some moments = enter ForcedLanding

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2022-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules