12Next >
4020 51 2021-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jcp_eu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65269 ft
Spain

On RTH mode, after about 10 seconds, I lost connection to my mini 2,  it flew away to another direction (there wasn´t wind) and crash on the woods, impossible to get it back, i could not found it yet.

I share my flight log because I need to know if I did something wrong or it was a DJI mini 2 software failure

Flight log: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/TPO8PIWTO0HYO7GK9X5C/

2021-1-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your flight data isn't much help.
It shows you flying 160 metres away and initiating RTH.
The drone started coming home and got to 108 metres from the home point when the data stops.
If the drone just lost signal it should have continued coming home.
If there was a hardware failure or loss of power it should be around 43.16806  -8.17732.
2021-1-9
Use props
jcp_eu
lvl.1
Spain

Labroides Posted at 1-9 03:43
Your flight data isn't much help.
It shows you flying 160 metres away and initiating RTH.
The drone started coming home and got to 108 metres from the home point when the data stops.

Thanks!, As soon as I got the signal lost alarm I could see the mini 2 going to the opposite direction at full speed, lose sight of it and I could hear the collision with the trees, but I can not find it.

The possition where I got the signal lost alarm was more near home than the flight data registered
2021-1-9
Use props
jcp_eu
lvl.1
Spain

Well, I had to use a pair of binoculars but finally found it, it was on the top of one of the trees, and when I finally got there the mini fell down and I could catch it, lucky me!.

It didn´t have the battery so I had to search for it around half hour until I found it

A explanation map:

2021-1-9
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

you were on a lower ground flying uphill, but still 100 m up and end up on a tree seems strange. were those trees any high? or it just crash landed?
2021-1-9
Use props
jcp_eu
lvl.1
Spain

sbonev Posted at 1-9 04:39
you were on a lower ground flying uphill, but still 100 m up and end up on a tree seems strange. were those trees any high? or it just crash landed?

Thanks sbonev!, the trees have a height of 20-30 meters (around 65-98 ft)

As I said before, when I recived the lost connection alarm the mini change to the opposite direction at full speed

It´s very strange ...
2021-1-9
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

jcp_eu Posted at 1-9 04:58

As I said before, when I recived the lost connection alarm the mini change to the opposite direction at full speed

What phone are you using?
2021-1-9
Use props
jcp_eu
lvl.1
Spain

AntDX316 Posted at 1-9 05:09
What phone are you using?

a Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus
2021-1-9
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

jcp_eu Posted at 1-9 05:11
a Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus

You need to analyze w/ another software to see everything.  Ask DJI to analyze it.  
2021-1-9
Use props
jcp_eu
lvl.1
Spain

AntDX316 Posted at 1-9 05:17
You need to analyze w/ another software to see everything.  Ask DJI to analyze it.

Thank you for your reply!
2021-1-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, jcp_eu. Thanks for reaching out and we're sorry to read about the unfortunate event you just experienced. Since you're able to retrieve the unit, we strongly recommend returning it back to our Service Center so we can assess if there are any damages to it and also conduct a Data Analysis to give enlightenment about what happened. At your soonest convenience, please get in touch with our Customer Support to assist you to open a ticket.
2021-1-9
Use props
George GR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

Hello jcp_eu,
you had an old version 1.2.1 ios
last version ios 1.2.2 here https://www.dji.com/gr/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly

https://airdata.com/
2021-1-9
Use props
jcp_eu
lvl.1
Spain

George GR Posted at 1-9 05:49
Hello jcp_eu,
you had an old version 1.2.1 ios
last version ios 1.2.2 here https://www.dji.com/gr/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly
Thanks for the info!, but the phone is an android and the last version is 1.2.1

UPDATE
The last version for android on Google Play store is 1.2.1 that is older than the APK on the DJI website

Thanks again!
2021-1-9
Use props
George GR
Second Officer
Greece

jcp_eu Posted at 1-9 05:56
Thanks for the info!, but the phone is an android and the last version is 1.2.1

last version 1.2.2 android https://service-adhoc.dji.com/do ... 2-b4ab-9cf977d77309
2021-1-9
Use props
jcp_eu
lvl.1
Spain

George GR Posted at 1-9 06:17
last version 1.2.2 android https://service-adhoc.dji.com/download/app/android/3b03cb95-bc4b-4b62-b4ab-9cf977d77309
Yeah!, I downloaded the Google play store version (1.2.1)

Thanks again!
2021-1-9
Use props
George GR
Second Officer
Greece

jcp_eu Posted at 1-9 06:20
Yeah!, I downloaded the Google play store version (1.2.1)

Thanks again!

download the latest version from the link I sent you
2021-1-9
Use props
jcp_eu
lvl.1
Spain

George GR Posted at 1-9 06:26
download the latest version from the link I sent you

thanks!!
2021-1-9
Use props
George GR
Second Officer
Greece

You're welcome.
2021-1-9
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I doubt the app version will be in any way related to the crash, you need to get Dji to analyse the crash data or if can get the .dat file from the phone logs post on here and maybe JJB can look at it. It is really strange for the drone to go in the app direction in RTH mode on signal loss. It could be that it does the flight path retrace on signal loss and your RTH height was set lower than the height of the trees hence the crash!!
2021-1-9
Use props
jcp_eu
lvl.1
Spain

Suren Posted at 1-9 12:06
I doubt the app version will be in any way related to the crash, you need to get Dji to analyse the crash data or if can get the .dat file from the phone logs post on here and maybe JJB can look at it. It is really strange for the drone to go in the app direction in RTH mode on signal loss. It could be that it does the flight path retrace on signal loss and your RTH height was set lower than the height of the trees hence the crash!!

Before the flight I changed the maximum altitude to 100 meters and the RTH option changed automatically to 99 meters.

This screenshot (sorry for the quality ...) was taken from one of the videos that was recorded, I have marked the crash zone, way below of the RTH altitude:

This link is the return video, on 00:37-38 I pressed the RTH button, the video ends before the point of signal loss: https://streamable.com/zsacum
2021-1-9
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

jcp_eu Posted at 1-9 12:51
Before the flight I changed the maximum altitude to 100 meters and the RTH option changed automatically to 99 meters.

This screenshot (sorry for the quality ...) was taken from one of the videos that was recorded, I have marked the crash zone, way below of the RTH altitude:

well but the conditions seem foggy and snowy. what temperature did you have. most probably ice formed and could have caused the drone to lose altitude. though there should be errors in the log
2021-1-9
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

sbonev Posted at 1-9 12:55
well but the conditions seem foggy and snowy. what temperature did you have. most probably ice formed and could have caused the drone to lose altitude. though there should be errors in the log

One thing caught my eye.
1. Did the SD pop loose and was it in till it locked in.
2. You said you couldn’t find the battery. Was the battery clicked all the way in. If it  wasn’t then it could have moved back and disconnected and  bumped the door and open and fallen out.
That could have caused the sudden disconnect.
I’ll let the pro’s her do their thing.
Doug.
2021-1-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

jcp_eu Posted at 1-9 04:58

It´s very strange ...

It's not strange ... it's impossible.
On losing connection, RTH would have continued.
It wouldn't have changed direction and flown off somewhere else.
The drone was well above tree height and wouldn't have collided with trees n RTH.
The only explanation that fits the data is that the indication of loss of data was due to the drone losing power and falling from the sky.
This also explains how the drone came to be in the tree.

The firmware version has nothing to do with the incident.
But if you had been using V1.2.2, much of the flight data would have been unreadable.
2021-1-9
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Donut Posted at 1-9 13:10
One thing caught my eye.
1. Did the SD pop loose and was it in till it locked in.
2. You said you couldn’t find the battery. Was the battery clicked all the way in. If it  wasn’t then it could have moved back and disconnected and  bumped the door and open and fallen out.

Isn't the micro SD card slot on the mIni2 located outside the battery compartment???
2021-1-9
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 1-9 13:46
Isn't the micro SD card slot on the mIni2 located outside the battery compartment???

It is. But he said it flue into a tree. What if it lost connection on the SD card. Not saying he did.
If it was doing a RTH and lost battery connection above the tree and came out above the tree then fell to the tree.
If the battery was still in wouldn't the find me option be working.
It’s like it had a sudden loss of power. If the battery wasn’t clicked in. ???
2021-1-9
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

It is just a quest but I would have to second the battery coming loose.  It would explain also why the recording stopped.
2021-1-9
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The battery disconnect, loss of power, could explain why it fell from the sky.
But why did it change direction or did it not change direction?
2021-1-9
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

Lisa3 AKA Karen Posted at 1-9 14:23
The battery disconnect, loss of power, could explain why it fell from the sky.
But why did it change direction or did it not change direction?

He said on his first line that RTH was activated.
His first words were. “On return home.
Doug
2021-1-9
Use props
Stu.Baby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52218 ft
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 1-9 12:55

I've just read this post about ice forming on the props causing the drone to fall out of the sky :
Can ice crash your drone? You bet it can…

It may not explain everything but it looked pretty cold in jcp_eu's video.
2021-1-9
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ok but now posts 3 and 4 don’t make sense?
2021-1-9
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

Stu.Baby Posted at 1-9 15:40
I've just read this post about ice forming on the props causing the drone to fall out of the sky :
Can ice crash your drone? You bet it can…

I understand your thought.
But did the battery fall out when it hit the tree or did the before causing the crash.
I’d be going all around that tree with a metal Detector within 50 foot of the tree.
If battery is found then I’d say ice maybe and if no battery I’d say it fell out and caused it to loose power.
A CSI investigation, lol
2021-1-9
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

He found the battery in post 4, took him a half hour to find, or was it the drone. No, that fell out of the tree and was caught.
Just so I understand, if you find the battery it could be ice, if you can’t find the battery it’s power loss.
Makes perfect sense.
2021-1-9
Use props
marc70
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4762470 ft
Canada

How do I follow this thread? By throwing in a reply? I want to know what comes out of this.
2021-1-10
Use props
djiuser_SUuARQ3kh5iK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 287224 ft
United Kingdom

Just had the same problem, i lost trust in flying it high so i did a test flight, i set RTH height to 49ft, set a home position about 80ft in a middle of a field, stood by the mini2 and switched off the controller to simulate a lost signal, the mini just hovered facing the homepoint for about 10 seconds, then started going up to about 10ft, turned right, then shot off eratically like a rocket towards a main road, i paniced and switched the controller back on and managed to regain control before it hit anything, freaked me out, ive contacted DGI and waiting for responce, only had it 3 days and i dont want to risk flying it anywhere now just incase it looses a signal then goes flying into something.
2022-3-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

djiuser_SUuARQ3kh5iK Posted at 3-5 09:46
Just had the same problem, i lost trust in flying it high so i did a test flight, i set RTH height to 49ft, set a home position about 80ft in a middle of a field, stood by the mini2 and switched off the controller to simulate a lost signal, the mini just hovered facing the homepoint for about 10 seconds, then started going up to about 10ft, turned right, then shot off eratically like a rocket towards a main road, i paniced and switched the controller back on and managed to regain control before it hit anything, freaked me out, ive contacted DGI and waiting for responce, only had it 3 days and i dont want to risk flying it anywhere now just incase it looses a signal then goes flying into something.

I read where you set Home Point to the middle of the field. Did you hover it at that spot and set home point? Did you hear or read Home Point updated. Please check the map.?
2022-3-5
Use props
colinwillo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 3-5 10:57
I read where you set Home Point to the middle of the field. Did you hover it at that spot and set home point? Did you hear or read Home Point updated. Please check the map.?

Hello
I hovered then set the home point using the map, it said home point updated, you can see it in the flight log viewer where i set it, and it flew in the other direction, good job i was standing on the left of it, would have hit me in the head.
2022-3-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

colinwillo Posted at 3-5 13:35
Hello
I hovered then set the home point using the map, it said home point updated, you can see it in the flight log viewer where i set it, and it flew in the other direction, good job i was standing on the left of it, would have hit me in the head.

you can see it in the flight log viewer where i set it,
Since you haven't included a link to the flight log viewer report, no-one can see anything of the incident.
Please post a link if you want any assistance.

RTH has proved to be quite reliable and the data is likely to show what's behind your incident.
2022-3-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-5 14:52
you can see it in the flight log viewer where i set it,
Since you haven't included a link to the flight log viewer report, no-one can see anything of the incident.
Please post a link if you want any assistance.

That's why I asked about setting home point. I know most "flyaways" are due to a bogus or non- existant home point.
2022-3-5
Use props
fansec25ac0e
lvl.1
United Kingdom

phantomhelp.com/logviewer/0JWCWC4YVUP2V2OPGRDG]flight log

think this will work?
it says i dont have permission to send links?
2022-3-5
Use props
fansec25ac0e
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fansec25ac0e Posted at 3-5 15:12
phantomhelp.com/logviewer/0JWCWC4YVUP2V2OPGRDG]flight log

think this will work?

or this
phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/LDKSI6TDGOEHGVD42L1W
2022-3-5